I really hate the "You Might Also Like" feature!

VegasVoomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 3, 2004
Las Vegas
Or maybe I shouldn't because I'm missing something but when there is a long movie description the "You Might Also Like" icons are covering up the end so I can't read it all. I hate when that happens!

Even without the "you might like" section the long descriptions would get cut off. I don't think it's really affecting it much at all. I myself like the feature and has lead me to watch some shows/movies that I would normally not think of.

Even without the "you might like" section the long descriptions would get cut off. I don't think it's really affecting it much at all. I myself like the feature and has lead me to watch some shows/movies that I would normally not think of.

True and agreed.

Well, I remember before the update that added that feature I could see the entire description no matter how long it was. It never ended in the middle of a sentence like it does now. I love the HWS but this is just a small annoyance for me.

I can't remember if the info always showed the entire description on the Hopper or not but I know that on the majority of Dish receivers when a movie had a long description it was always cut off. It didn't matter if there was something below it or not. I guess I'm just use to it since it's always been this way with the descriptions.

My 722k and Hoppers before the update never truncated descriptions. They need to fix it.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

My 722k and Hoppers before the update never truncated descriptions. They need to fix it.

I can't remember ever seeing a receiver that showed the full description when it was pretty long. I never liked that either but I'm use to it.

Last edited:
I can't remember ever seeing a receiver that showed the full description when it was pretty long. I never liked that either but I'm use to it.

It was pretty rare for the 722 (or the Hopper) to truncate descriptions, with current Hopper software it is a common occurrence. What I dislike more though is the asinine default Record This button.

Dan

I don't care for the new info screen either. It's much slower than the old way. Maybe they need to give you the option to turn off the you might also like feature.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I don't care for the new info screen either. It's much slower than the old way. Maybe they need to give you the option to turn off the you might also like feature.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Unlikely they will ever do that - see the push to techs is to connect them with broadband "All Hoppers to broadband" or we take a hit even if that customer doesn't even know what internet is. The reason is to push people to buy pay per views which if you look many of those options in the "You might also like.." are those on other packages you don't have or pay per views/packages. Its rather smart of them to push more sales but overall very annoying and very stupid to punish techs that can't connect it if you don't have it.

The main thing is they need to fix the description truncation, and add the close button back.

Just press the info button again that will close the info screen. In all the years I've had DISH that is how I have always done it.

It's not the 'You Might Also Like' feature which is to blame with the icon covering up the descriptions. The rest of the text is really not there to be read. This started with S338 changing how view is formatted when you press 'Info' so it places the live TV picture into a small thumbnail view in the upper left hand corner the same as if you are accessing the Guide. If you recall, it never was like this before. For years all Dish receivers, whether Hoppers or Hoppers with Slings, ViPs, and even non-HD receivers used to show the full TV picture underneath with the program description and info in an overlay view. Pressing 'Info' would toggle between solid or see-thru. Lengthy program descriptions have been truncated ever since they changed the format under S338. They could at least have the courtesy to provide a scroll bar to read the rest of the text. I'm not a fan of the new format (as if the TV picture isn't made small enough times while using the Guide and DVR functions).

Last edited:
It's not the 'You Might Also Like' feature which is to blame with the icon covering up the descriptions. The rest of the text is really not there to be read. This started with S338 changing how view is formatted when you press 'Info' so it places the live TV picture into a small thumbnail view in the upper left hand corner the same as if you are accessing the Guide. If you recall, it never was like this before. For years all Dish receivers, whether Hoppers or Hoppers with Slings, ViPs, and even non-HD receivers used to show the full TV picture underneath with the program description and info in an overlay view. Pressing 'Info' would toggle between solid or see-thru. Lengthy program descriptions have been truncated ever since they changed the format under S338. They could at least have the courtesy to provide a scroll bar to read the rest of the text. I'm not a fan of the new format (as if the TV picture isn't made small enough times while using the Guide and DVR functions).

You are exactly right! I knew I used to see the entire description no matter how long it was. The live TV thumbnail is ok to have when scrolling through the guide but do we really need it there just to read a description of a show? They add one feature that isn't really needed and in doing so it takes away another feature that is much more important.

The main thing is they need to fix the description truncation, and add the close button back.
Yes! Having "record this" as the default is just plain dumb.

Just press the info button again that will close the info screen. In all the years I've had DISH that is how I have always done it.
Then I guess that's how everybody needs to do it then, even though most people pressed OK, as it required ONE click instead of the two or three required when pressing Info, which would cycle the info screen through various stages of translucence.
Or.... they can bring back the close button, and have it be the default.

Last edited:
The technical term for the new layout is "sucky".

It never ceases to amaze me how many things that work fine are changed to something worse, while bugs and/or poorly implemented features go unchanged for years.

They need to bring back the translucent info screen that had full data, overlaid on top of a full-screen video image, rather than the PiP with truncated data and relatively useless suggestions. (How much time was spent on this?)

Then I guess that's how everybody needs to do it then.
Or.... they can bring back the close button, and have it be the default, so all it requires is ONE click instead of the two or three required when pressing Info.
Or just press the cancel button...one click.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)