I REALLY hate to say this out loud (EHD related)

What's frustrating is I'm using the WD external desktop HD that is one of top Dish recommended. And I know others use it without this issue. I've also tried a plethora of other brands, types, models, etc. with the exact same result..
Ironically, when Dish started the EHD ability about 7-8 years ago, they were co-opting the launch with Seagate. Low and behold, they had the same problems from the start, Like I said, you want hassle free? Get internal drive with dock and forget the packaged external drives.

Ironically, when Dish started the EHD ability about 7-8 years ago, they were co-opting the launch with Seagate. Low and behold, they had the same problems from the start, Like I said, you want hassle free? Get internal drive with dock and forget the packaged external drives.

Yeah, I used one of those with the Genie with Directv. Nice WD drive in a nice dock with fans. Of course, with Directv you can't use an EHD in addition to the internal drive, it replaces the internal drive. Also, it's "locked" to that receiver; if your Genie goes out and has to be replaced, you lose all recordings on the EHD because it will only work on the receiver on which it was activated.

One of many reasons I much prefer the Hopper 3 system over the Genie system. Even with the issue I've been having.

Reactions: pattykay
Has anyone tried to use an SSD drive with any success?

I tried one briefly just to see if it worked w/o external PS. It did.
SSDs are not designed for all the re-writing of video files. Would probably fail prematurely.

What EHD are we talking about? My preference is for the WD Green drives because they spin themselves down aggressively to save power (and last longer). These spend most of their lives spun down on my VIP receivers. Is this different on the Hopper?

Or are you talking about the EHD on the 211 series? That would be re-writing stuff all the time.

SSD=Solid State Device. Memory chips, not spinning platters.

Those chips are only good for X write cycles. Not good for video, with a LOT of write cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Those chips are only good for X write cycles. Not good for video, with a LOT of write cycles.

How many of your videos have you deleted off the EHD and written over? I could count all those that I have deleted from 3 EHDs on the fingers of a maimed hand.

I’d hazard a guess that’s not the usual process. I’d guess most folks actually watch and delete on their EHD.

A RAID array EHD would probably be cheaper and more reliable than a SSD.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
There is no advantage to using an SSD, they are more expensive and you do not need their high speed read/write for video playback.

There are spinning platter drives that are specifically designed to be more robust for constant data write/readand are entirely sufficient for video recording and playback.

PSST...and they cost less than 1/3 of the price of an SSD.

There are spinning platter drives that are specifically designed to be more robust for constant data write/readand are entirely sufficient for video recording and playback.

Everything you said above is true. But the Dish EHD is not reading or writing constantly, unless you try to play something off it, or write new programs to it. I know this for certain for VIP receivers because, while the WD Greendrive is quiet, I can still hear it spin up and see the front panel access light flash when I use it.

Is the Hopper so different?.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, after starting this thread, having my Hopper 3 crash, having to have it replaced, losing a lot of my recordings, I will tempt fate again.

Since I got the new Hopper 3 my EHD has showed up every morning.

So I have to assume all of my problems were related to my Hopper 3 and also then that others who have the same problem I did have the bad luck to have Hopper 3s that create this issue. No idea why one Hopper 3 will lose the EHD almost every morning (not every morning, but almost every morning - and it was taking more and more reboots to get it to show back up) and another will not, with all other hardware staying the same, but that's my experience after a couple of weeks or so.