I saw FIOS TV for the first time

It sounds like people who think DVD quality is acceptable are the ones who are blinded.

No one with 20/20 vision who's watched a Blu-ray on a proper display is going to think DVD's "quality" is acceptable. And those streaming services, with perhaps the exception of VUDU, are quite pathetic quality as well. VUDU is only sometimes as good as the Blu-ray version. A properly authored Blu-ray will kick VUDU's ass every time.

H.264 needs a bitrate of at least 20 Mbps @ 1080p to look flawless. What's worse is that Netflix actually uses VC-1, which is a worse codec than H.264.

Nothing wrong with DVD quailty. People just get blinded by numbers.
Not really anything wrong with it, there is just obvious room for improvement.

I simply used DVD quality versus HD as an example to give people an idea of the difference between what I get with MLB tv and what is possible with a faster connection. ;)

It sounds like people who think DVD quality is acceptable are the ones who are blinded.

No one with 20/20 vision who's watched a Blu-ray on a proper display is going to think DVD's "quality" is acceptable. And those streaming services, with perhaps the exception of VUDU, are quite pathetic quality as well. VUDU is only sometimes as good as the Blu-ray version. A properly authored Blu-ray will kick VUDU's ass every time.

H.264 needs a bitrate of at least 20 Mbps @ 1080p to look flawless. What's worse is that Netflix actually uses VC-1, which is a worse codec than H.264.
I've watched Blu Ray numorous time. And yes they are quite Good PQ for the most part. And Sometimes I've seen better 720p content off Directv. Is it worth paying a premium for? Only for Blu Ray yuppys.

Again if I see a DVD of a movie I want and the Blu ray version is $10 more, Sorry getting the DVD. And i'm sure most everyone feels the same way.
DVD quality is not bad quality by any means.

Why your Compairing Blu Ray to Streaming is beyond me. I've seen Far better PQ many times on a home DVD verses some HD Streaming movies. Your Streaming is only as good as their servers and your internet quaility, more so the Speed.

So with a $7.99 Netflix membership, tell me why I should spend $80 per month on 20 MBPS service when I can spend $30 and still have no trouble watching Netflix in DVD quality.
Take your Blu Ray Blinders off.

To keep the exact same setup I currently have with DirecTV (TV) and TWC (Ineternet), I will pay $20 more for FiOs TV/Internet bundle. This includes the 24 months of discounts with FiOs and my current discounts with DirecTV. If I do month to month instead of a 2 year contract I will be paying $138 instead of $123. This will be a lot more than Directv/twc combo.

View attachment 77694

Where they get you is the equipment fees.
Ended up keeping DirecTV for another two years as they gave me another 2 years of my promotional offers and upgraded all of my equipment for free. TWC gave me another year of promo ($30/month savings) on internet. No matter how I slice it, FiOS is just more expensive and there is noway I can bring the total cost down, even without the DirecTV promos.

If TWC stops giving me the promos, DirecTV will bundle FiOS internet with my DirecTV service to save some money. But FiOS TV service will still be more expensive (I have to go up an equivalent package with FiOS in order to keep the some of the same channels I have with my current DirecTV package).

what I really appreciaate is that I cant ever remember the FIOS system going out with an outage. Thats a regular occurance with cable,.

How does the FIOS HD/DVR user interface compare to the directv HD/DVR user interface? With the D* I can hide channels I don't get as well as hide SD channels where there is an HD channel. The HR-24 has 200 hrs. SD and 50 Hrs. HD capacity.

Robert3400
I've always signed up again so I don't really know. It tells you what it will be after the promo but unless you sign up for a special promo again it could always go up.
bgreenage
As far as the channel listing goes you can set up favorites and show only what you want. This can be done from the stb or online. Once you have set up your favorites you also have the option of switching between your favorites, all subscribed or all channels. I can not say how it compares with DTV because I never had it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)