i think dishcrap planted a virus in my box!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ynnedibanez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
Greeneville, Tennessee
so, it was a normal blind scanning saturday
was looking for satmex 5 the meter peaked but i had no quality
i thought that was weird, but blind scanned anyway
well, it found a bunch of transponders but the channels were wrong so i got out my birdog and found satmex 5 about 8 or 9 pulses to the west, so aparently my linear lnb had picked up 119
then i went to blindscan satmex 5 and it acted real weird, the box rebooted and when i went into antenna setup, where it normally says standard, universal, stacked, or whatever it said download failed and then warning and then it rebooted
now all my settings are screwed up and when i try to change them it locks down or reboots
g-25 appears in my sat list about 20 times and i cannot remove it
it keeps unchecking satellites that i have checked and checking ones that i dont have checked
anyone else ever have this happen?
i got a few things id like to say about charlie ergen, but i think ill bite my tongue and keep this post clean, but man, its hard.:rant::rant::rant::mad::mad::mad::mad: :censored:

have you thought about turning the switch off an on the back? That usually does the trick

Believe me...I scan 119 (and 110, 91 & 82) all the time and my receiver doesnt do anything like that...

The only time my receiver goes goofy is when I have done a bunch of blind scans and the receiver has transponder overload

I wonder what receiver he was talking about too. Sounds like something fried the firmware for him. It might have "just been time for it to happen!".
It's easy to sometimes connect totally random events, but then, who really knows what DN might try.

If you have factory software 119 will not cause any issues. I have seen receivers with old pirate software have some issues on 119 though.

the switch didnt do it, tried several times, the last one for several minutes
could possibly be the blindscan thing i guess, but it seemed weird that it did it on 119 and everything worked fine before and nothing works now.
the box is a pansat 2700a with pansat factory firmware (b-75)
id hate to have to reflash this thing or reset it to factory defaults and loose my channel list
anybody got any suggestions?
all are apriciated,
Denny

sounds like transponder overload...known issue on the Pansats

Is it used for both C& KU or just KU? I know my old 2500 I went through and nuked ALL C-Band sats and most of the KU transponders to fix it.

Try that first....remove some transponders from the list. The channels will stay in there. Then switch off/on and see what happens

yup, that was it.
there is a little play in my homemade dish mover so i had it set up to move east to west and be accurate with the exception of my east most bird which of course is always found by moving to the east.
to make it simple to flip through channels i wanted my channel list to start with my east most sat and work its way west in order as the channel numbers went up.
how i did this was by going in and making new sats named after their location then sorting channels by satellite
as i'm sure you can imagine, my sat list was quite large
a factory reset fixed it and now i am just going through the factory list and renaming the sats in it one by one.
sorry for the accusation there Charlie ;)
man, i feel kinda stupid:rolleyes:
i should go sit in the corner and wear a dunce cap for a while:rolleyes:

Well, as usual, I'm starting to read this after the problem was solved, but being the type of person prone to wanting to believe in conspiracy theories, it's almost disappointing that it was just a normal STB bug, one that I used to see all the time on my Fortec Ultra all the time BTW. It would do bizzarre things when you'd overload the memory.
However {conspiracy theory mentality surfacing} I wouldn't completely discount the thought that DN might be putting out signals that could be harmful to FTA receivers. I have seen some really weird behavior of my computer recently, after viewing some FTA DN channels, using nothing more than TSREADER streaming to VLC. It may be nothing more than DN using some non-standard MPEG4 video format that's confusing VLC, but whatever it was, it really played havoc with my computer, forcing me to reboot. On another occasion, I tuned to one of those DN transponders that had a big data stream on it, and upon checking out the data stream, my computer locked up. That was probably just a case of my computer being overwhelmed by huge amounts of data, and also not some DN plot to destroy all FTA'ers, but it certainly fueled my distrust of DN. :)

im laughing myself, but my face is kinda red with embarrassment right now;)

No reason to be embarrassed. We're laughing with you, not at you.

Just reminds me of a situation I had. It was the same problem of a STB getting full up and acting flakey. I felt sort of confused, and then panicked in thinking the STB was toast. Then it was relief after the problem was resolved. :p

Been there done that... :)

Well, as usual, I'm starting to read this after the problem was solved, but being the type of person prone to wanting to believe in conspiracy theories, it's almost disappointing that it was just a normal STB bug, one that I used to see all the time on my Fortec Ultra all the time BTW. It would do bizzarre things when you'd overload the memory.
However {conspiracy theory mentality surfacing} I wouldn't completely discount the thought that DN might be putting out signals that could be harmful to FTA receivers. I have seen some really weird behavior of my computer recently, after viewing some FTA DN channels, using nothing more than TSREADER streaming to VLC. It may be nothing more than DN using some non-standard MPEG4 video format that's confusing VLC, but whatever it was, it really played havoc with my computer, forcing me to reboot. On another occasion, I tuned to one of those DN transponders that had a big data stream on it, and upon checking out the data stream, my computer locked up. That was probably just a case of my computer being overwhelmed by huge amounts of data, and also not some DN plot to destroy all FTA'ers, but it certainly fueled my distrust of DN. :)

I don't remember where i did read that DN was told they should not use Electronic Counter Measures against FTA receivers and could only do it to their equipment (actually i think only to their conditional access cards), it must have been in one of those resolutions vs Echo/DN... or maybe I am:

/quote Andy Pettitte

Misremembering

/end quote

Cheers

Mike

Yes Dishnetwork is sending viruses to target FTa Boxes that scan Dishnetwork satellites like the Sonicview 8000 and their Channel Change Error

Yes Dishnetwork is sending viruses to target FTa Boxes that scan Dishnetwork satellites like the Sonicview 8000 and their Channel Change Error

Can you prove that DN is doing that? I have done a scan on those birds with no ill effects. I guess I should edit out those sats just to be safe?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts