I think I've got a bad AT9 lnb/dish... opinions please??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
My buddy and I got Directv. We bought two AT9s from ebay. We set them up. We each have an HR20 and he has an extra standard receiver. My setup works fine. His works fine sometimes, but he routinely loses his signal and gets zeros all over the place on the signal meter. This is the case for both of his receivers. When I bring them to my house, they work fine.

Therefore, I'm thinking he has a bad lnb, given that he shows all mid 90s in signal strength one day and zeros and 30s all over the place the next day. Is this consistent with what you folks know about bad lnbs?

Followup question. If I need to get a new lnb, I am aware that there are 3 different types of AT9s out there. Will the LNBs all fit any AT9 dish? Can I just buy any old AT9 lnb, or do I need a whole new dish setup? Thanks. Please help... :(

My buddy and I got Directv. We bought two AT9s from ebay. We set them up. We each have an HR20 and he has an extra standard receiver. My setup works fine. His works fine sometimes, but he routinely loses his signal and gets zeros all over the place on the signal meter. This is the case for both of his receivers. When I bring them to my house, they work fine.

Therefore, I'm thinking he has a bad lnb, given that he shows all mid 90s in signal strength one day and zeros and 30s all over the place the next day. Is this consistent with what you folks know about bad lnbs?

Followup question. If I need to get a new lnb, I am aware that there are 3 different types of AT9s out there. Will the LNBs all fit any AT9 dish? Can I just buy any old AT9 lnb, or do I need a whole new dish setup? Thanks. Please help... :(

He may has the installation problem and not the bad LNBs.

bad cables maybe?

I think you are right. I had the same thing happen and it was with a cable I twisted the ends on. Siganl was strong on downstairs tv (hd) but in and out on the upstairs hdtivo. I switched boxes and the same thing happen at the same location regardless of box. Switch the boxes then switch out the cable if possible.

gl

I think you are right. I had the same thing happen and it was with a cable I twisted the ends on. Siganl was strong on downstairs tv (hd) but in and out on the upstairs hdtivo. I switched boxes and the same thing happen at the same location regardless of box. Switch the boxes then switch out the cable if possible.

gl

Did you have it go from good to bad to good to bad??? Did it fluctuate?

I have depending on moisture in the end. Mopisture can get in and screw up a signal big time. It dries out and the signal comes back

I have depending on moisture in the end. Mopisture can get in and screw up a signal big time. It dries out and the signal comes back

I considered that, but it seems to have no bearing on the weather or moisture. It won't work when it is sunny and dry, but it will work in the rain. It could be that, but I'm skeptical.

Could be the cable is bent at a corner and it moves sometimes based on heat and maybe operator movement. My cable end is in the closet and sometimes I go in and touch the cable and the picture gets fuzzy. Could be the cable connectors in use - the new HD system requires the best connectors not the ones good enough for SD reception on the old dishes. I agree its not the LNB they are pretty bulletproof.

more than likely it is corrosion in the cables. I don't think all the lnbs at the dish could go bad at once. also check the connections make sure the fittings are in good condition and on correctly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)