I think my 522 got smarter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Im sorry if this has already been talked about. It seems my 522 now knows what new episodes and what repeats are. It use to concider all current year shows as new.
Lenny

I think this is one of the stanard features of the Name Based Recording (which is available on 522) you just need to select "New episodes only".

Dish talked about this in there last tech update. Because some of the old repeats were from spring 2005 the dvr was thinking they were new.. Dish is now getting the date that the program originally aired so that way it wont catch the repeats that aired earlier in the year. Thus the new smarter dvr :)

I like the smart DVR functionality in these NBR DVR's. It sure saves hard drive space and makes for less effort with having to see what is new and what isn't.

I've also noticed in the EPG that the word NEW is being added at the end of the descriptions for many of the truly NEW episodes.

Skip, dang it!

road_rascal said:
My 522 still records all old episodes when set to record only new. It's a hassle to delete all the old ones.
Mine likes to pick up very old (years old!!) episodes of "COPS" that air on weekday afternoons from the NBR slot I have set up for new episodes at 8pm Saturdays. Both the Saturday night shows I want and the afternoon shows I don't want come from the same station, FWIW. Funny, it doesn't happen every day, but maybe once or twice during the week, even though the old shows are on every afternoon.
!sadroll

Last edited:
"New" episodes are finally not based on the year

This morning I was looking through upcoming recordings and noticed that this Sunday's Desperate Housewives was crossed out since it is "Not a new episode" even though the date is 2005. I was going to come to the forum and post a similar topic. They must have changed what is considered "New" in firmware 2.54 or 2.55 ??

I don't think the "Help" menu has changed to reflect the new smarts. It still says something about current "Season" episodes - which they used to consider a season the calendar year.

blabber said:
Mine likes to pick up very old (years old!!) episodes of "COPS" that air on weekday afternoons from the NBR slot I have set up for new episodes at 8pm Saturdays. Both the Saturday night shows I want and the afternoon shows I don't want come from the same station...l
I have COPS set to record new episodes on our local FOX affiliate channel. Our local affiliate only shows the Saturday night showings. What's weird is that this Saturday's 8:00 (2005) episode is set to record, but there is nothing in the description that says "New" like I've seen in other New shows. So they must be using some kind of "New" episode flag that doesn't necessarily show in the description.

Changing your timer to a Weekly Saturday timer would "patch" the problem you are having, though it would probably also pick up previous year's showings too.

Last edited:
Ned Dorsey said:
....Changing your timer to a Weekly Saturday timer would "patch" the problem you are having, though it would probably also pick up previous year's showings too.
I did have it that way for a while, but then sometimes Fox had special airings on Monday or Friday nights that I missed. Oh well, nothing's perfect. Funny thing, some weeks it doesn't pick up the odd afternoon ones at all, other weeks it'll do it once, other weeks it'll grab several! I can't detect any pattern from the show descriptions. Some are a couple years old, some are from way back in the early '90s.

:confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)