I thought you needed an AT-9 to get HD Locals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lovswr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
:confused:

I'm in Atlanta, 30281 specifically. I have an H10 & just a few minutes ago, for some odd, unknown reason I started at channel 2 & just went up the channels. Much to my surprise I now have 27-5 & 27-6. They are my local FOX affiliate WAGA-TV channel 5 (which also show up as 5-1 & 5-2). FOX 5 is 720p & just a quick check (I think the Howie Mandel vehicle that was on is called The Animal) between the satellite local & the broadcast channel showed a small but distiguishable quality difference.

I know that the current D* HD locals are actually in MPEG-2 right now, but I still thought that one needed an AT-9 anyway. Has anyone else in the ATL (or anywhere else) noticed this? Can someone offer a reasonable explanation? TIA :cool:

You can get your local digital affiliates on non-H20/AT9 HD units with an OTA antenna attached; do you have an antenna attached? In the EPG it should distinguish how each is being received as well. The LA and NYC "big 4 networks" are still available via MPEG2 without the need of an AT9 and H20, but no LIL HD should be on MPEG2. Please post a screen shot and we can help you determine.

Last edited:
I couldn't say for sure, but D moves the channels around from time to time.( one sat to another) HD locals as far as I know are MPEG4 not MPEG2, with the exception of LA and NY which seem to come both ways. It's not out of the question that they could be moving HD locals around. It may be up to D as far as which method of compression they use. I would guess, that it would be up to them as to which band they use also. I most likely am way off base on this.

You are correct, they move signals from sat to sat, transponder to transponder, but they wouldn't change a MPEG4 to MPEG2.

He has to be seeing them through an OTA antenna. D* is only broadcasting 4 main channels for each market. He wouldn't be seeing a 5-1 and 5-2. Also, someone else in another post, said they show up as 5-WAGA, with the station call letters after the channel number, when they are a D* HD channel.

rockaway1836 said:
Charper1 , not to be a wise ass here; Why not?

Unlike moving like signals from one transponder to another, which they can do "on the fly" there would be no "on the fly" from MPEG4 to MPEG2, which would also be considered a step backward. There is no reason whatsoever they would do this. I think the bigger question would be WHY would they do it?

lou_do said:
He has to be seeing them through an OTA antenna. D* is only broadcasting 4 main channels for each market. He wouldn't be seeing a 5-1 and 5-2. Also, someone else in another post, said they show up as 5-WAGA, with the station call letters after the channel number, when they are a D* HD channel.

I think you may be right.

charper1 said:
Unlike moving like signals from one transponder to another, which they can do "on the fly" there would be no "on the fly" from MPEG4 to MPEG2, which would also be considered a step backward. There is no reason whatsoever they would do this. I think the bigger question would be WHY would they do it?
GOD only knows why. Correct if I'm wrong, but did't they move a couple of the NY HD locals from 119 to 101? I know for a fact that 2 NY HD locals are now (or at least were) on 101. Much to my surprise, I brought a old Sony(10 years) dual LNB dish down to South Carolina and was able to pick up FOX (88) and CBS (80). ( I think I remember that right) I just am really not sure what kind of hoops they have to jump trough to go from MPEG4 to MPEG2 as well changing B and C bands if needed. The point may be mute as the OP may be seeing OTA afterall, but I find it interesting non the less.

Yep, I hope the OP comes back to post. At just before 9pm CST I offered that up as well as Lou with the follow up, but they haven't replied back to let us know, so I am suspecting as well that was the issue; the sub-channel info was the key, but they never mentioned having an OTA antenna or not.

between the satellite local & the broadcast channel showed a small but distiguishable quality difference.

I know that the current D* HD locals are actually in MPEG-2 right now, but I still thought that one needed an AT-9 anyway. Has anyone else in the ATL (or anywhere else) noticed this? Can someone offer a reasonable explanation? TIA :cool:[/QUOTE]

I think it was the second part of the post that threw me for a loop. lol :)

Ok, I guess I did not word/provide enough info. Yes I have an antenna in my attic & get the local HD broadcasts; 2-1, 5-1, 11-1, etc.

The channels that I list in the OP appear, to me at least, to be replicas of my local FOX affiliate, channel 5. 5-1 & 5-2 come from OTA, but as far as I can tell the other two channels are coming from D*. There is a slight but noticable quality difference.

I have not done a channel search (OTA) for many months, & as I understand it, new OTA will not be added automatically.

p.s. I have my H10 set to display 1080i only. I will go downstairs & set it to native & see what I get. Be right back :)

Been a long day! Was tending bar since 8AM, got off at 6 had 4 beers.I'm feeling every one of them! Not like me though usually it takes a whole lot more. lol

I Was Mistaken

lovswr said:
Ok, I guess I did not word/provide enough info. Yes I have an antenna in my attic & get the local HD broadcasts; 2-1, 5-1, 11-1, etc.

The channels that I list in the OP appear, to me at least, to be replicas of my local FOX affiliate, channel 5. 5-1 & 5-2 come from OTA, but as far as I can tell the other two channels are coming from D*. There is a slight but noticable quality difference.

I have not done a channel search (OTA) for many months, & as I understand it, new OTA will not be added automatically.

Once again I apologize for any misunderstanding this may have caused.

p.s. I have my H10 set to display 1080i only. I will go downstairs & set it to native & see what I get. Be right back :)

Drat, they are in fact local channels. I guess the FOX affiliate msut of had the carrier up with no modulation for some time.

Well since this is now a local Atlanta HD issue, I will post this info here.

edit: I thought that D* was doing the same as E*; MPEG-2 over the satty but flagged as MPEG-4.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts