I tried to get Dish this Week.

chrisrosenb

Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
East Central Indiana
The only local dealers in my area are also Verison Wireless stores. I went to 2 different stores in 2 different towns.
I told them we had 5 TVs, both told me all that I needed was 1 Hopper & 3 Joeys. I told them that I wanted to be able to have at least one live tuner for each TV.
They said 1 Hopper & 3 Joeys would do that. I started to argue with them, then I decided maybe Dish is not the way to go.
It continous to amaze me with the lack of training companies give sales people & the hoops the companies make customers jump through to buy their services.

The only local dealers in my area are also Verison Wireless stores. I went to 2 different stores in 2 different towns.
I told them we had 5 TVs, both told me all that I needed was 1 Hopper & 3 Joeys. I told them that I wanted to be able to have at least one live tuner for each TV.
They said 1 Hopper & 3 Joeys would do that. I started to argue with them, then I decided maybe Dish is not the way to go.
It continous to amaze me with the lack of training companies give sales people & the hoops the companies make customers jump through to buy their services.
Going to a Verizon store was a waste of time. PM a Dirt member here. On-line members can be found at the bottom of the Forum page in RED.

I hate to drum the same beat over and over, because there are some excellent Dish retailers out there, some post here. But do yourself a favor, why aren't you dealing with Dish directly? And better - with DIRT here?

I hate to drum the same beat over and over, because there are some excellent Dish retailers out there, some post here. But do yourself a favor, why aren't you dealing with Dish directly? And better - with DIRT here?

Because, in another thread it was recommended that I go to a local retailer.

I do not know what dirt is other than what in in my yard. I will say it again. Why do I have to jump through hoops just to spend money with a company.
This is not rocket science.

Because, in another thread it was recommended that I go to a local retailer.
The reason for a retailer, in the case of the Hopper, is because Dish (their ordering system) does not allow ordering a Hopper without a least one Joey. Retailers can. But in your case, it does not matter...two Hoppers with two or three Joeys. Contact Dirt!!!!!

I do not know what dirt is other than what in in my yard. I will say it again. Why do I have to jump through hoops just to spend money with a company.
This is not rocket science.

Dirt=Dirt Internet Response Team. A very revered asset around here. Complain about hoops or follow the Dirt path. Your choice.

Don't have to jump thru hoops, but a Verizon store isn't gonna help...just contact dish. Since you're posting here, use DIRT (Dish Internet Response Team). They post here often & can be found in red at the bottom of the forum page. Easy to set up a service call.

I always recommend retailers but it would need to be a retailer that actually keeps up on things. A retailer that only does sales is usually not as good. You need a retailer that does the sales, installs and service.

You're right about the training. Dish offers plenty of training materials, not hands on, but the retailer has to take the initiative to actually study and learn it. I think every retailer should spend time on here.

Hi, I am sorry that you had a bad experience with your local dealer and I would be happy to assist you if you like. I would recommend getting a 2 Hopper and 3 Joey install for your 5 TVs. If you would like me to assist you, please PM me. Thank you!

I never went through retailers for satellite TV service. For DirecTV, I went through Verizon, as they offered, and I believe still offer, DirecTV service bundled with their phone and DSL services. For Dish, I went directly through the company. For future reference, just stay away from retailers, you never know what the rep may or may not know.

The reason for a retailer, in the case of the Hopper, is because Dish (their ordering system) does not allow ordering a Hopper without a least one Joey. Retailers can. But in your case, it does not matter...two Hoppers with two or three Joeys. Contact Dirt!!!!!

The best reason for a local retailer is that they are in your town. They usually understand what you really want. And they can make things fit the way you want them too.. They are not some guy in Tim-Buk-Too reading cue cards. And when you have an issue you can usually call them and get help or answers without going through the hoops of an 800 number. And you are supporting your local city versus somewhere you never heard of. Yes, I know there are bad retailers out there too. But for the most part, they don't stay in business long doing a bad job. Good retailers have a track record you can actually check on. It really irks me when I hear people tell someone to CALL Dish or DIRT because they are better.. Well they are not better than me, or any of the retailers I know of around my area. My business has been built around making my customer happy. I can do anything that Dish can do when it comes to installing equipment. And in many cases I can do things that they can't do.

I've always gone directly through Dish. Never regretted it. The few times I've needed service, Dish was able to get a tech out the next day. I upgraded to a 2/3 system for 5 TV's last Dec 1. Very impressed with the system. PM Mary as she requested. She will give you excellent service as will any member of DIRT.

I've always gone directly through Dish. Never regretted it. The few times I've needed service, Dish was able to get a tech out the next day. I upgraded to a 2/3 system for 5 TV's last Dec 1. Very impressed with the system. PM Mary as she requested. She will give you excellent service as will any member of DIRT.

We had a customer call yesterday (Saturday) afternoon with a problem and we had a truck there in 15 minutes. I'd like to see Dish beat that. We do superior work and give superior service and our prices are usually the same or less than the other deals so it just makes sense to go with a GOOD local retailer.

When I switched back last week I didn't even bother calling Dish. I wanted 2 Hoppers and no Joeys and I already knew they wouldn't do it.

Called late afternoon on Thursday, installed 9:30AM the next day. When I went through the online with Dish it showed at least a 2 day wait.

Had a little problem (caused by me) on Sunday, called them Monday morning, and they fixed the issue by noon.

No one is putting Dish Down.. We are just speaking up for the local guy. If you had a business you would understand how we feel when we offer a product that is the same as Dish offers, And you call some guy in another state to get it. Your money goes out of state instead of staying in the local area to be used by us to support other local businesses.. It just makes sense to deal with the local guys if you can get the same product for the same deal.

The reason I didn't go through a retailer myself years ago is because they would have charged me $49 for the install or service fee or whatever they call it these days. I had no fee going through Dish directly. The craziest part about it is that I had read there was a $49 fee but at no point during our phone convo was it brough up until I asked about it and if that would apply to me or if it could be waived and then the lady reluctantly discussed it with me and that they couldn't waive it. Thats when I decided to go through Dish directly. IDK if that $49 is still something retailers charge and if so, I'm sure most retailers would inform new customers of that fee but this specific person I spoke with did not.

I remember reading about lots of people who get service installed through a retailer and then call up dish mad because they see an extra $49 charge on their bill and want it removed and it was always the retailer fee. That is why I mentioned it.

I remember reading about lots of people who get service installed through a retailer and then call up dish mad because they see an extra $49 charge on their bill and want it removed and it was always the retailer fee. That is why I mentioned it.

Most of the national 'Retailers' are really nothing but call centers who make sales and then have DNS do the work. IMHO they should be in a separate class than the local 'Retailer' who is a full service business with a local presence. They are really two different types of businesses altogether. The local guys usually never charge any $49 fee or shipping or any other hidden charges and they handle the order from start to finish. They are usually long term businesses that have been around for a while and have a stake in making their customers very happy and in the community in general. The 'national retailers' are generally more interested in making a dollar any way they can and couldn't care less what happens to the customer after the sale is made. There is a HUGE difference.

Seems a reminder is in order that the OP does not have a "local guy" retailer since his only options are Verizon stores. He certainly should deal directly with Dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)