I want 2 receivers in 1 room, why can't I split from the wall to the receivers?

BrunoPuntzJones

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
I had a Dish 811.

I decided I want to get a DVR, so ordered a remanufactured 501.

I activated the new receiver, works great.

I can't get both receivers hook up to the dish at the same time though.

I thought I could just use a splitter at the wall, have a coax going to the 501, and a coax going to the 811.

Could switch inputs on my tv when I wanted to watch HD on my TV from the 811, and for SD use the 501.

But anytime I have the splitter in, it just sits at 0 of 5 and can't find anything, transponder just keeps counting. I've tried different splitters, cables, etc. with no luck.

Am I missing something? I thought I was using pretty decent splitters and cables.

The splitter say something like 3.5db and 5-1000mhz if that helps.

There anyway to get this working like I want?

Thanks

Hi, welcome to satelliteguys!

Simple Answer:

You can't split a satellite cable.

I have this exact setup in my family room (811 and 501). You have to run seperate coax for each receiver from the switch. It is like they are in different rooms. Just a fact of life no matter if you are using E*, D*, or Voom.

You can split it. You are just going to need a dpp lnb and dpp splitter. Running another cable from the dish to the other receiver is your other option.

Wrong. The DPP LNB and splitter can only de used with DPP receivers. 322,522,721,921,942

Hurm, lots of acronyms I don't understand...

I'll do some searching on them.

So what does I need to do exactly? I guess I could just cut into the cable in the back room (where I had a receiver at one point), then run it through the attic to the receiver in the den. Or if the 501 has a decent remote that doesn't need line of sight, just hook it up back there, and use a wireless transmitter and receiver to send the feed to my tv in the den.

n0qcu said:
Lets get the terms right. Its NOT a splitter with the DPP it's a separator
Right. The DP Splitter is an entirely different device that can only be used in single-bird, unswitched installation segments. Fuggedaboudid.

Bruno: No idea what cable you're talking about cutting, but if it's a separatte run from the LNB, it's probably what you want.

The DP Separator method is not an option for connecting two receivers. It only works for connecting the 2 tuner inputs of 1 dual-tuner receiver.

The 501 has a UHF remote, so the solution to put it in another room will work.

LNB: short - the "head" of the dish assembly. long - http://ekb.dbstalk.com/43

DP: DishPro. The DP LNB stacks the even transponders into a higher frequency range then sends odds and evens at the same time (EKB: DishPro Technology). A splitter may work in a single satellite setup, but you are going through a switch to select from at least 2. You can't have the 811 viewing HD from 110 at the same time the 501 needs CNN from 119 unless each has its own run to a switch.

DPP: DishPro Plus. Dual-tuner receivers can tell a DP Plus switch to stack odds and/or evens from different satellites onto the same output. The DP Separator then directs the regular frequency range to one tuner and the stacked range to the other.

Somewhat related question regarding 322

I bought a 311 on Ebay and it turned out to have problems, so the seller is sending me a 322. If I intend to use only one of the two receivers in it, can I just give it one line and use it that way? I know I am expected to connect a phone line, but that's no problem...

bbtkd said:
I bought a 311 on Ebay and it turned out to have problems, so the seller is sending me a 322. If I intend to use only one of the two receivers in it, can I just give it one line and use it that way? I know I am expected to connect a phone line, but that's no problem...

bad bad bad idea, you will not be able to activate the 322. lease reciever only.... contact the seller and make him send you another 311

bbtkd said:

You will need two connections, or a separator (and a DPP44 or DPPTwin at the other end). And make sure to clear it thru ceo@echostar.com, they are the only ones that can activate it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)