I want a 942 but....

Just took the plunge and bought the 942. Sadoun Satellite is a new Gold sponsor and were offering 5 percent off for SatelliteGuys members. It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, so what the heck :)

i BOUGHT THE 942

I bought the 942, i think leasing sucks. Why should you pay $250, then $10 a month till infinity, they will get you for a couple of grand by the time it is said and done. They will swap the 942 for an MPEG 4 one. By the way MPEG 4 will be at least a year and then MPEG 2 and 4 will coexist, because everyone will have to change their legacy equipment to pro. This is going to take time, swapping 25 million boxes is no joke. this is not voom, with 40,000 boxes this is the big leagues.

Figure you lease a box, $250 up front, then $10 a year which is $120 a year, two years $240, three years $360, 4 years $480 , 5 years $600, 6 years $720. Ihave been a dish subscriber for 8 years we are talking over a grand if you keep leasing it. Buy it $700 its yours. Nothing like owning it yourself. MPEG 4 is not a wonder. It won't give us better pictue. It allows GREATER compression so they can put more picture per unit bandwidth.

so enjoy MPEG 2 in all its glory, and indulge $700 and enjoy that $5000 set. Life is too short guys

mothergoose45 said:
I want to lease a 942, but I need to know FOR SURE that i will not get screwed when MPEG-4 comes out. If I lease has anyone heard if Dish will upgrade it to MPEG-4 for free???????????
Are you married? Do you have a girlfriend?

calikarim said:
I bought the 942, i think leasing sucks. Why should you pay $250, then $10 a month till infinity, they will get you for a couple of grand by the time it is said and done. They will swap the 942 for an MPEG 4 one. By the way MPEG 4 will be at least a year and then MPEG 2 and 4 will coexist, because everyone will have to change their legacy equipment to pro. This is going to take time, swapping 25 million boxes is no joke. this is not voom, with 40,000 boxes this is the big leagues.

Figure you lease a box, $250 up front, then $10 a year which is $120 a year, two years $240, three years $360, 4 years $480 , 5 years $600, 6 years $720. Ihave been a dish subscriber for 8 years we are talking over a grand if you keep leasing it. Buy it $700 its yours. Nothing like owning it yourself. MPEG 4 is not a wonder. It won't give us better pictue. It allows GREATER compression so they can put more picture per unit bandwidth.

so enjoy MPEG 2 in all its glory, and indulge $700 and enjoy that $5000 set. Life is too short guys
I don't get the $10 a month thing. To my knowledge there is no $10 a month fee. That was the conversation I had when I ordered the 942.

calikarim said:

Who is going to keep this box for 5 or 6 years? :confused:

The DVR fee I was charged for the 942 is $5 a month and no mirror fees if you have phone line connected. If you don't have a phone line connected it would be $10.

If you have more than 1 box you are still paying the $5 a month fee if you own it or not. Remember, Owned = $5 additional outlet fee; Leased = $5 lease fee in which case the additional outlet fee is waived. No idea where $10 a month came from. Never paid it, never will.

In addition, if I own the equipment, there is nothing that says E* can't charge me to upgrade my equipment. If I lease it, when the new MPEG4 boxes come out, they either are forced to upgrade their equipment or I end the lease on that receiver. I still have the option to purchase the new box or take their upgrade path, whichever is the better option.

With that being said, $250 vs. $699 is better any day of the week in my book for a box that will most likely be obsolete in 1 to 2 years. Try to spin it any way you like. The bottom line is, for some who are offered the lease as a new or current subscriber, leasing is a much better option. For others who are not able to get DISH to offer them the lease option as an existing customer, buying is the only option if they want the 942. I got it as an existing customer most likely due to how much I spend with DISH each month and the fact that I was not willing to take no for an answer.

StevenZ said:
The Dish site now says, for the 942: "Available to new and existing customers. Existing customers may only purchase through one of our participating retailers."

I see them on ebay all the time......

Mark S. said:
If you have more than 1 box you are still paying the $5 a month fee if you own it or not. Remember, Owned = $5 additional outlet fee; Leased = $5 lease fee in which case the additional outlet fee is waived. No idea where $10 a month came from. Never paid it, never will.

In addition, if I own the equipment, there is nothing that says E* can't charge me to upgrade my equipment. If I lease it, when the new MPEG4 boxes come out, they either are forced to upgrade their equipment or I end the lease on that receiver. I still have the option to purchase the new box or take their upgrade path, whichever is the better option.

With that being said, $250 vs. $699 is better any day of the week in my book for a box that will most likely be obsolete in 1 to 2 years. Try to spin it any way you like. The bottom line is, for some who are offered the lease as a new or current subscriber, leasing is a much better option. For others who are not able to get DISH to offer them the lease option as an existing customer, buying is the only option if they want the 942. I got it as an existing customer most likely due to how much I spend with DISH each month and the fact that I was not willing to take no for an answer.

Mark you could not have said it any better. I took the lease $250 also will be installed next thursday

MR CORVETTE said:
Mark you could not have said it any better. I took the lease $250 also will be installed next thursday

Thanks Mr. Corvette for the kind word and the new addition to my Sig. ;)

Mine hasn't arrived yet either but I hope to have it by about the same time you get yours. Hope we both enjoy them as much as I expect we will. :D

mindstein said:
I don't get the $10 a month thing. To my knowledge there is no $10 a month fee. That was the conversation I had when I ordered the 942.

Yea, same here.. I got a 942, and the CSR didn't say anything about a $10.00 per month fee.

calikarim said:

Actually it is only $5 to lease the box and if you buy it it will cost you $5 DVR fee unless you have Everything Pak, so I think its smart to do the lease. If something comes out new they will replace it.

Was there a SatellitGuys sponser on here that was waiving the $49.99 activation fee?? Wife and I are going to be setting up an acct. by this Tuesday and like anyone I want to get the best deal I can. Going to take the plunge and get a 942. Would much rather pay $250 instead of $300 if I can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)