I want a better DVR than our HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bshef

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
we've been subscribers since 2003. I would like a "newer" DVR.
The main one we have is say HR-20 on the back and I think we got it in 2008.
We have 2 DVR's in the house.
Is there some kind of secret handshake to get a Deal from DTV on a better model?
or should I just expect to pay $$ and upgrade?
Would anyone give me some suggestions or show me a good thread that would help educate me?

Thanks

The HR20-23 models are all basically the same. The HR24 is a step up, but not much. The HR34 is a five tuner model, quite advanced from the previous models. If there is nothing wrong with your HR20 except it isn't new, then you will have to pay to upgrade. If you want the HR24, then you will have to get it from an online dealer since Directv doesn't guaranty any particular model, unless you get the HR34. It costs current customers up to $399. If you are really interested in it, call and ask what kind of deal you can get. Regardless of what you do get, it will cost you a new two year commitment.

Try Claude at Dishstore ...
Or Solid Signal
so If I purchase one of the newer HR34's from Claude (or elsewheres), ...Will I also need any type of upgrades from DTV to my 5LNB in order to utilize / get the most outta my new box?

so If I purchase one of the newer HR34's from Claude (or elsewheres), ...Will I also need any type of upgrades from DTV to my 5LNB in order to utilize / get the most outta my new box?

you may want to try Directv first to see if you can get a free upgrade on a HR34 before shelling out the cash at the dish store or solid signal. they would take care of the LNB and anything else probably free as well. worth the call.

you may want to try Directv first to see if you can get a free upgrade on a HR34 before shelling out the cash at the dish store or solid signal. they would take care of the LNB and anything else probably free as well. worth the call.
Yes , Always try Directv first. Just ask them for what you want, worst thing they would say is no.

Yes , Always try Directv first. Just ask them for what you want, worst thing they would say is no.

and if they say no, hang up, call back, and ask another cst

rinse and repeat, and maybe eventaully you will get it

Get through to retention by saying cancel at the voice prompts. No need to bring it up again with the CSR.

Tell them you're buying a 3D television. The HR20, AFAIK, is not 3D capable. That will get you an upgrade but there's no way you're going to get a specific model, but anything above a HR21 will double your recording capacity.

Thanks everyone for all the replies (and a couple laughs...the rinse repeat comment while a great tip....had me smiling).
Sigh.....the hoops we're forced to jump through.

Think I'll try my "luck" with asking for the upgrade.......then, (if I don't get the answer I'm looking)....shift gears to the retention route and for good measure mention the new 3D TV.
"Oy vey"
wish me luck....I'm going in....!

Get through to retention by saying cancel at the voice prompts. No need to bring it up again with the CSR.

Tell them you're buying a 3D television. The HR20, AFAIK, is not 3D capable. That will get you an upgrade but there's no way you're going to get a specific model, but anything above a HR21 will double your recording capacity.

Last edited:
Results are in!

2 calls.
2nd was to retention dept...(about 45 mins)

offered (and accepted)
-HR34 (swap for our old HR20)
-Whole home media service
-upgrade of one standard box to an HD receiver (to utilize the whole home media)
Total $235.41

Extras
-6 month Stars
-NFL ST ($99)
Grand Total $335.00 (plus $3/mo fee for the whole home service or the new HD recv'r.....I forget).

Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Last edited:
Results are in!

2 calls.
2nd was to retention dept...(about 45 mins)

offered (and accepted)
-HR34 (swap for our old HR20)
-Whole home media service
-upgrade of one standard box to an HD receiver (to utilize the whole home media)
Total $235.41

Extras
-6 month Stars
-NFL ST ($99)
Grand Total $335.00 (plus $3/mo fee for the whole home service or the new HD recv'r.....I forget).

Thanks for the suggestions and help.
Not bad. Glad to hear you're happy. Enjoy! Let us know how the installation went.

You are correct, the HR20 is not 3D capable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)