I want a HD DVR!

jmhunter83

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 26, 2005
Hey. I currently have a mess of Satellite equipment. I have voom and a Directivo on my main TV, and Directivo in my bedroom. I want to get my upstairs bedroom a DVR (522, because I want NBR). And in my main room a HD DVR. Is there any kind of lease offer on the 921 now? Or should I wait for the 942 release. I want to drop DirecTV and voom, and embrace dish. I am aware of DTV planned offerings, but I have trouble supporting rupert murdoch.

So in summery, what lease plans are availiable for the 921, and what will be avail for 942.

No lease plan for the 921.
Lease plan for the 942 is pay $250.00 down just so you have the right to lease one for another $10.00 a month, no joke, and that is why I left them to go to comcast to lease the 6412.

jmhunter83 said:
I am aware of DTV planned offerings, but I have trouble supporting rupert murdoch.

OK, now you got me curious, what did Rupert do to you to that was so bad that makes you want to go to Sybil???

bruce said:
No lease plan for the 921.
Lease plan for the 942 is pay $250.00 down just so you have the right to lease one for another $10.00 a month, no joke, and that is why I left them to go to comcast to lease the 6412.

I am considering doing the same. The 921 is a huge POS, buggy and quirky. I woudl expect the sam eof the 942 and can;t see giving them $250 for the honor to lease it and bug shoot it for them. I need a stop gap until D* has the Atlanta HD Locals and an MPEG4 HD-DVR so Comcast 6412 is looking good. How do you like your 6412?

i love the 6412. does everything a dvr is supposed to do, with the small exception to what tivo holds patents to. the only wish i have for my 6412 is a larger harddrive so we all could store more HD programming.
then back to the topic, i also love my 921. it's unfortunate that the 921 has a larger harddrive in it and i do not use it as much as the comcast unit, if it weren't for CBS (sinclair) holding out a contract for HD content to cable the 921 would only be used for TNT-HD. the only bugs that i've encountered is the total freeze then having to reset my 921, twice. i guess it's all in the unit you get. i got mine from a small satellite mom/pop shop in San Jose. I know the owner and he doesn't seem like the person to sell you something he has dropped. i wouldn't trust costco or other wherehouse stores, they got kids playing with regular boxes all the time dropping shiznits.

techdood said:
i love the 6412. does everything a dvr is supposed to do, with the small exception to what tivo holds patents to. the only wish i have for my 6412 is a larger harddrive so we all could store more HD programming.
then back to the topic, i also love my 921. it's unfortunate that the 921 has a larger harddrive in it and i do not use it as much as the comcast unit, if it weren't for CBS (sinclair) holding out a contract for HD content to cable the 921 would only be used for TNT-HD. the only bugs that i've encountered is the total freeze then having to reset my 921, twice. i guess it's all in the unit you get. i got mine from a small satellite mom/pop shop in San Jose. I know the owner and he doesn't seem like the person to sell you something he has dropped. i wouldn't trust costco or other wherehouse stores, they got kids playing with regular boxes all the time dropping shiznits.

One last off topic, does the 6412 stretch the SD channels to fill the 16x9? Does it give you stretch options?

Yes, but I don't know about other options, it looks just as good as the stretch on my Toshiba.

The full-page Dish ad in today's paper mentions the "DISH Player DVR 942" down in the fine print talking about dual-tuner needing to be continuously connected to a phone line. I take that as a good sign that 942s might be arriving some time in the next month or two.

techdood said:
if it weren't for CBS (sinclair) holding out a contract for HD content to cable the 921 would only be used for TNT-HD. the only bugs that i've encountered is the total freeze then having to reset my 921, twice. i guess it's all in the unit you get. i got mine from a small satellite mom/pop shop in San Jose.
San Jose? Sinclair doesn't own the CBS affiliate here. It's a CBS O&O, and KPIX-HD is on the local Comcast.

I have been reading the AVS forums on the cable 6412

They mention that the tuner for the non digital channels 1-80 is not very good and the picture may not be very good on channels like the Sci Fi channel witch is analog.

In other words the box is designed for Digital cable channels only and the analog tuner is poor.

Are you see this on analog. I have a 65" TV thinking of leave dish over the 92x issues.

ScottChez said:
I have been reading the AVS forums on the cable 6412

They mention that the tuner for the non digital channels 1-80 is not very good and the picture may not be very good on channels like the Sci Fi channel witch is analog.

In other words the box is designed for Digital cable channels only and the analog tuner is poor.

Are you see this on analog. I have a 65" TV thinking of leave dish over the 92x issues.

Check out your cable company, all of my "analogs" have been switched to digital tramsmission ( dual channels in both analog and digital spectrum ).
On my Son's 27" Analog TV, he of course just gets the analog channels, which look just as good as E*'s SD channels, as far as recording them, the main reason I left dish was to get the 6412 to record HD, because I was just missing too much stuff, so no SD recordings if I can help it.

Jstanuthrdishguy said:
Can't find a Comcast forum huh?

What does that have to do with anything.

Because you're not contributing to the thread.

You are spamming this thread, or/also bashing a company, with nothing to add to the topic of the thread.

ScottChez said:

I don't know you can say it's a poor tuner or a poor MPEG2 encoder. Remember, this box has to digitalize the analog signal to MPEG2 so it can record it on the harddrive to allow for pausing/skip etc.

ScottChez said:
It's not the tuner. It's the analog signal itself. Plug the cable right into your TV, and use its tuner, and you will see. But, since Comcast, and I would imagine other digital cable providers too, have begun the process of mirroring the analog channels on the superior digital band, it will all be a moopt point in the near future.

Wanna see a bad analog tuner? Try the one on the Dish 811. Holy crap! It's a friggin joke. Also, try the analog AV inputs. Just as bad.

j5races said:
In case you didn't notice your in a DISH forum thats all....
And...in this particular thread of this particular Dish forum, some people are discussing a comparison to the current and announced Dish HD DVR's. Does it bother you that much to hear that something better might be out there? I woukld think that viable alternatives would be of interest to current Dish subscribers looking for a no-cost/low-cost HD DVR that actually works, and is available TODAY for many people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts