I want DirecTV (questions)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hail

Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
hello all- I am new here. I'm 26 and live in Ann Arbor, MI. I'm in a wheelchair and watch a lot of TV. Football, hbo, amc, and several more. I currently have comcast but want DirecTV for a better DVR and NFL ST. I have questions.

My favorite channels: ESPN, Big Ten Network, HBO, Starz, amc, NFL Network, FX, Showtime, and Food Network. which package should I get?

How does the weather effect reception?

Do you think DirecTV will carry the Pac-12 Network?

Thank you

AMC, NFLN, FX, Food Net, Big 10 Net and ESPN are in the basic packages I believe. The lowest package you would want to get to have those channels is Choice package, which is $63.99 a month, but would be 34.99 a month now for 12 months, then $53.99 for the 13th-24th months. You would get $10 off with auto bill pay a month for the 24 months.

NFL ST is included for free in the Choice Extra package, which is usually $68.99 a month, but would be $39.99 for year 1 and $58.99 for year 2, plus you could get $10 off a month with auto bill pay.

If you really want ST I would go with Choice Extra as it is free for new subscribers.

Also like most say get all your equipment you would need up front, as it will be cheaper that way instead of waiting a few months or so to get another receiver.

Weather issues are really rare for me, in NY we have some bad Storms, don't go out much, once in a while, just hit the reset button and back in 3-5 mins, and on rest of day.

As for HBO, Showtime and Starz, I believe HBO is $15.99, Showtime is $12.99 and Starz is $12.99, but they discount it down a few bucks, like I have Sports and Starz(both are 12.99) but pay $24.00.

Don't fall for the cable co hype that you lose signal anytime it rains. You can have signal loss. but it is rare and the weather has to be VERY bad. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and it's usually back within 5-10 minutes. I don't know how reliable your cable is, but I know my comcast neighbors have a lot more outages (and extended outages) than I do.

Yep. Just the other day our local cable was out for over 5 hours. The two line techs couldn't figure it out. This was for several neighborhoods. I have never had satellite signal go out for 5 hours due to weather.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I'd echo the idea of getting all receivers you want at the original install - they don't cut breaks after the install for essentially the two years you are under contract. Don't forget to use the referral offer for $100 extra off, or the AAA offer for even more if you are a member.

As for Pac 12, it is a wildcard right now, nobody knows. Directv has a history of aggressive adding of sports, such as when Big 10 Net launched, Directv had it first, and every feed in HD. Directv has made vague statements about Pac 12 that do not indicate that it is a done deal by any means.

As for Pac 12, it is a wildcard right now, nobody knows. Directv has a history of aggressive adding of sports, such as when Big 10 Net launched, Directv had it first, and every feed in HD. Directv has made vague statements about Pac 12 that do not indicate that it is a done deal by any means.
DIRECTV (nor DISH, nor Charter) hasn't enjoyed much success with the network that carries much of the Pac 12 content now (Comcast Sports Net) so anything would be an improvement.

thank you everyone. can I add and remove individual premium channels online? It's hard for me to call.

Don't fall for the cable co hype that you lose signal anytime it rains. You can have signal loss. but it is rare and the weather has to be VERY bad. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year, and it's usually back within 5-10 minutes. I don't know how reliable your cable is, but I know my comcast neighbors have a lot more outages (and extended outages) than I do.
At our second home in Mammoth we have cable for the renters and I bring up my DirecTV for me. The cable goes out much more then satellite.

thank you everyone. can I add and remove individual premium channels online? It's hard for me to call.
One you are signed up and have an account, you can make any changes online.

The one nice thing about making changes online is that you can add the HD extra package for 3 months free, and then cancel it when the three months is up. A few minutes later you can add it again for 3 months for free. We have had members that have been doing this for years now and have yet to pay for the HD extra package.

HD extra package gets you those HD only niche channels that includes:

Hallmark Movie Channel HD
HD Net Movies
MGMHD
Sony Movie Channel HD
Universal Movie Channel HD
Smithsonian Channel HD
Crime & Investigation HD
Palladia HD
Shorts HD

Get More HD Channels with DIRECTV

:welcome

What about the DirecTV Premier Package at regular $119.99/month? It includes HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, Sports Pack, locals (if available), and the channels from the other packages. Just an option...maybe not a good one if you want the premiums for certain months like for certain TV shows or just certain premiums....

I think there is also an online deal to save an extra $5/month on the DirecTV site. You may save $40-$45/month in the first year and $20/month in the second year

If you choose a package below Premier, you would be able to get the premiums of HBO, Starz, Showtime, and Cinemax free for 3 months.

Choice Ultimate includes the Encore genre channels (Action, Love, Suspense, Family, Drama, and Westerns) with Encore East in HD along with Encore West (in SD), Sundance Channel, and The Movie Channel East HD along with The Movie Channel West (in SD).

I think that Choice Xtra and above is needed for the free NFL ST deal.

Entertainment Package: DIRECTV

Choice Package: DIRECTV

Choice Xtra Package: DIRECTV

Choice Ultimate Package: DIRECTV

Premier Package: DIRECTV

Premiums Site: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/premiums/overview?lpos=header

Sports: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/overview?lpos=header

Your locals may vary in the channel lists as well; I just used a generic zip code. Also, please press cancel when prompted to print unless you really want to print the channel lineups.

Here is another handy channel lineup card (from the folks at AT&T DirecTV) that may be easier to compare the packs in one lineup card: http://www.att.com/Common/PDF/DIRECTV_English_Channel_Lineup.pdf

Last edited:

You can add them online, but have to call to remove them.

You may be able to remove them by emailing the request in, but they could just reply to tell you to call.

You can add them online, but have to call to remove them.

You may be able to remove them by emailing the request in, but they could just reply to tell you to call.

If you have disabilities with the phone, DirecTV has TTY numbers for those that need them. I have used them before as I can't stand talking to yoyo's on the phone. Much easier to just type.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

You can add programming until you go broke, but you cannot remove (or downgrade) without direct contact with someone hired to dissuade you.

you can make changes once a month at no charge. more than once a month will incur a fee. i recently downgraded online and i add and remove other options often.

You can add programming until you go broke, but you cannot remove (or downgrade) without direct contact with someone hired to dissuade you.
Again, you chime in about DirecTV and do not know what you are talking about.

There are several packages you can remove and add on your own, including the one I mentioned, without having to talk to someone as long as you do not have a grandfathered package.

As others have already pointed out, this is not the total truth.
You can downgrade your package online, I did right before I swapped.

Perhaps you are thinking about premiums?

As others have already pointed out, this is not the total truth.
You can downgrade your package online, I did right before I swapped.

Perhaps you are thinking about premiums?

true. premiums like NFLST can only be removed over the phone.

Thank you everyone. I'm debating between Choice Xtra and Premier. I would want HBO and Sports Pack year around. But I would only want Showtime for Homeland

hail said:
Thank you everyone. I'm debating between Choice Xtra and Premier. I would want HBO and Sports Pack year around. But I would only want Showtime for Homeland

I wish it was easier to figure out what discounts one would get with premiums.

However, standalone HBO is $15.99, Sports Pack is $12.99, and Showtime is $12.99.

Choice Xtra is $68.99.
So, $68.99 + $15.99 + $12.99 + $12.99 = $110.96 (or less if there is a multiple premium discount). (when you would not have Showtime, $97.97 (or less if there is a premium discount)

Premier is $119.99.
$119.99 - $110.96 = $9.03/month difference
$119.99 - $ 97.97 = $22.02/month difference

Good luck with whatever choice you make!

Remember, above is regular pricing. You will have 2 years of promotional pricing. If you choose Choice Xtra, you should get the movie premiums free for 3 months if you need an idea of what you would get for your money with Premier. I'm not sure how DirecTV handles package switching/upgrading/downgrading during the promo period. The pricing above does not include equipment (I would try to get all HD equipment if possible even for SD TVs as some channels are HD only and usually the lease fees for SD and HD equipment are usually the same. The initial equipment selected is a biggie to me so you can try not to have to upgrade equipment in the very near future. The primary receiver will not cost you monthly. Other receivers are usually $6/month. I am not sure about the new receiver costs.), taxes, DVR fees (currently $8/month if you choose to have DVRs, or/and insurance/protection plan fees (not sure if worthwhile although it gives some peace of mind--However, I wonder if one would do better by putting the cost for the insurance/protection plan aside somewhere. Usually, one can add the insurance/protection plan of something goes wrong).

Last edited:
One you are signed up and have an account, you can make any changes online.

The one nice thing about making changes online is that you can add the HD extra package for 3 months free, and then cancel it when the three months is up. A few minutes later you can add it again for 3 months for free. We have had members that have been doing this for years now and have yet to pay for the HD extra package.

HD extra package gets you those HD only niche channels that includes:

Hallmark Movie Channel HD
HD Net Movies
MGMHD
Sony Movie Channel HD
Universal Movie Channel HD
Smithsonian Channel HD
Crime & Investigation HD
Palladia HD
Shorts HD

Get More HD Channels with DIRECTV

...Can you do this while under contract! Nice if you can, "a penny saved is a penny earned"!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts