I want HD but don't want a new contract, can you advise?

Holysmoke

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
I fulfilled my dish network contract and don't want to get into another. I have an HD TV, a dish pro quad lnb and a standard dish receiver.

I know I need an HD receiver. Do I have to enter a new contract to get an HD receiver? I tried to talk to the chicks from India but they don't know wtf they are talking about on 800 333 DISH.

I know I can get comcast cable HD without a contract and only a $5.00 fee per month to add HD. Is there a way to get dish HD without a contract? I assume I would have to pay cash for a receiver on ebay or something. If that is the case cable would be the way to go for me.

Thanks for any advice.

does ne1 know a way to contact a english speaking rep from the USA who can understand this $50 deal. the India reps don't know about it

yes, either a 1000+ or a 1000.2, you could always put up a wing dish for the 129....but that's just gay. be sure you have a line of sight before ordering HD, either for the 61.5 sat, or the 129 (both are used for HD)

I have a dish 500 pointed at 119/110 and a dish pointed at 91 for bev.

I guess Ill just point the dish at 61.5 for HD. do I need a special HD LNB or will the dish pro work?

I just googled hd absolute dishnetwork and cant find what you are talking about can you expand?
"HD Absolute" is supposedly the new name for the "dishHD" package described on this page The "HD Absolute" moniker is so new, that Dish's web site doesn't even mention it :cool:

BTW this package is often referred to as "HD Only" on this forum if you are searching for info. But be careful there are a lot of posts about what is or is not included with this package that are simply not correct. FWIW I switched from AT100 w/ locals and HD to the dishHD package without a new contract.

Talon Dancer - dishHD sub since its inception

Ideally you would need a 1000+ or a 1000.2 to get all of the HD channels. There are some HD channels on 110 and 119 though that you would get.

I am not sure what the current prices offers are from Dish, but if you go to DishStore and factor in the cost of a new dish and receiver and compare that to the free months that Dish offers, along with any rebates, you may come out even. Short of the fact you will have a commitment of course.

I did this in January 08. I ended up $70 in my pocket if I factored in everything (out of pocket versus rebates and free months). At the time the commitment was only 18 months. Only a year to go. Even then, I have SciFi HD, and I get my locals OTA and can now record them via the 722. I do not think that there is anything that the "other guys" (satellite, cable, etc) have that makes me want to jump ship this very second. I am good for another year. If Dish can get my locals up in HD within that year ... life (TV life anyway) would not get much better than that for me.

1000+ is for 118.75 which is international programming, little or no HD (maybe some HD locals are still there).

What I would do in your case would be to get a dish 1000.2 then as long as you have the 500, don't discard it, have the installer point it at the 61.5. Now, you're ready for anything.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)