I want to Buy a 721, or Do I ???

21st Hermit

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Nov 26, 2005
Colorado
I currently have a 501 connected to a Dish 500 with 2 single LNB's. The two cables run to a combiner/grounding block. I then have a single cable running to the 501. I've had the 501 2-3 years, last time I watched a commercial was the last Super Bowl.

I'd like to upgrade to a two tuner solution. The 721 comes to mind because of no monthly fees and 721's are available on eBay for $200-300 to my door. Poking around this site there are many 721 horror stories. I called Dish and the CSR recommended NOT getting a 721. What the CSR did recommend had $10/month in fees.

My plan is to run a second cable to the 721 and avoid any switches. Will this make the 721 problem free or are there other issues.

What is the best solution for me? :confused:

Hermit

there have been many bad stories but just as many good ( i think). I would suggest talking to the people that have 721 (they will be posting here shortly) but instead of running a second cable upgrade to a dpp twin lnb (thing on the dish that gets the signal) that way you dont have to run the line. this is my suggestion...
DPP Twin LNB=$30 on ebay
DP separator=$8 on ebay (might come with the 721)
721 reciever=$200-$300 on ebay
total=250-350 for all.

Soon, your 721 will be useless anyway. With the switch to MPEG4, a 721 wouldn't work anymore. The first MPEG4 receiver is supposed to roll out next month so be aware that you are purchasing a soon-to-be paper weight. DISH hasn't revealed exactly how they will handle the switching of receivers so you might not be able to simply swap a 721 for an MPEG4 receiver.

I have a 721 and love it. I like the user interface better than I do of the 522 in a way. I like the 522 though because you have two tv outputs and it saves some people from needing two individual DVR's. It saves you an addional outlet fee if it is hooked up to a phone line and the cost of another DVR since it is a two room solution. You would have the $5 DVR fee if you do not have AEP.

sA :: Shaggy said:
but instead of running a second cable upgrade to a dpp twin lnb that way you dont have to run the line.
Thanks Shaggy,

I looked at the DPP Twin on eBay and was confused, it has three spigots, not one, so it didn't seem to be a single cable solution.

Hermit

chaddux said:
Soon, your 721 will be useless anyway. With the switch to MPEG4, a 721 wouldn't work anymore. The first MPEG4 receiver is supposed to roll out next month so be aware that you are purchasing a soon-to-be paper weight. DISH hasn't revealed exactly how they will handle the switching of receivers so you might not be able to simply swap a 721 for an MPEG4 receiver.
Chad,
I watched Tech Forum the other night and as I understood the MPEG4 rollout, it was going to another orbital slot and was only for HD programing. Also the bandwidth gain was on the order of 20% and Dish had another protocol they preferred, which current receivers already understand.

In either case, tell me that Dish, with 10M+ customers, is going to pull the plug on $100's of million per month in revenue. Just not going to happen. I certainly don't have the answers, but Charlie ain't going to toss that kind of money in my lifetime.

Hermit

Stargazer said:
I have a 721 and love it. I like the user interface better than I do of the 522 in a way. I like the 522 though because you have two tv outputs and it saves some people from needing two individual DVR's. It saves you an addional outlet fee if it is hooked up to a phone line and the cost of another DVR since it is a two room solution. You would have the $5 DVR fee if you do not have AEP.
Stargazer,

Good to hear an encouraging word on the 721. You mention phone line, LOL. I live Off-the-Grid, so no wires, no phone line. Hermit is no joke, my closest neighbor is ~3 miles away, and I can't see them. AEP?

Hermit

I have had a 721 for about a year and half and it has been GREAT. No DVR fees is a definate plus. I would recommend a 721. I recently took the 942 upgrade path via lease, so I may be selling my 721...

Stargazer said:
Stargazer,

Should I consider a 522 instead of the 721? Both are available on eBay. I would assume the 522's are more expensive, haven't looked too deep yet.

522's offer NBR, whereas the 721 will NOT get NBR. It's also my understanding that in Feb. 06? there will be a promotion on the 522, a lease only promo.

Oops!!! That's Feb 05, show how out of touch I've been. Old Link.

Hermit

If you don't have America's Everything pack and don't mind paying the DVR fee, the go with the 522. Name based recording and two room output are great benefits. Without the phone line, you'll add another $5.00. I have 2 721s and they have occasional issues, but then again, no more than any other Dish receiver. Don't be scared off because of the occasional bugs and MPEG4. For the most part, the 721 is pretty reliable, just lacking a few "nice to have" features.

As the 721 is a SD, not HD, receiver, it's lack of MPEG4 support is unimportant at this time. It may be many years before MPEG4 is implemented across all channels, both SD and HD.

However it's lack of 8PSK support may be more troublesome. There are rumors that Dish may move toward implementing 8PSK-turbo encoding across SD channels. Many present SD receivers support 8PSK. While it would still be a huge, complex upgrade for Dish, it is much simpler than taking SD to MPEG4 (which would require replacement of all existing SD receivers). Dish has to weigh the cost of exchanging a few million receivers vs gaining 30% better utilization of satellite bandwidth.

In all liklihood, it should be good for at least 2-3 more years, unless Dish surprises us.

Im looking to go the route of 2 721's myself now, Ive only seen a few in the field but never one that was bad and the owners loved them. I would have to think that not all horror stories posted are legit, but I do believe that it has had its share of problems. I may forgo one of the 721's for an hd box just not sure wich one and when because I havent gotten my hd tv yet.

21st Hermit said:
Thanks Shaggy,

I looked at the DPP Twin on eBay and was confused, it has three spigots, not one, so it didn't seem to be a single cable solution.

Hermit
Two DPPlus outputs. Each is capable of driving a dual-tuner receiver when a (cheap) DPP Separator is used.

The third port is for adding a 3rd satellite position, if needed.

I have two 721's. After every SW upgrade they start acting weird, but a reset is all thats needed.

I've not had any problems with them except sometimes they get a little slow(I believe when they are downloading the guide) and if I give them too many commands....(because they are not responding quickly enough)... they reboot... and of course this fixes everything and they work fine again.

I love these things though....

dstrouth said:
I have two 721's. After every SW upgrade they start acting weird, but a reset is all thats needed.
dstrouth,

Thanks for your comments. How do you do a reset, menu item or switch or both? I don't recall ever resetting my 501.

Hermit

21st Hermit said:
I currently have a 501 connected to a Dish 500 with 2 single LNB's. The two cables run to a combiner/grounding block. ...
My plan is to run a second cable to the 721 and avoid any switches.
If your 2 separate LNBs are really singles, you will have to replace them with duals and add another SW21 switch (what you called a combiner) and another line into the house. You could also replace the separate LNBs with either a legacy or DishPro Twin, and run another the house. Or do as Shaggy suggested :yes and get the DP Plus Twin (info and diagram). That will save you from running another line and allow you to add another satellite some day without having to add an external switch.

AEP = America's Everything Pak. AT180 plus all 4 premiums.
I don't pay a fee for lack of a phone line on my 501.
The phone line requirement applies to all receivers but is only enforced via a fee on the 2-room receivers. Those are the 322, 522/625, and 942. The dual tuner 721 and 921 do not have the fee.
How do you do a reset, menu item or switch or both?
Being a 921 owner I feel especially qualified to answer this one :rolleyes: . Press the front panel power button for several seconds whenever the unit starts acting flaky. Same method for the 501.

The 522 is actually cheaper upfront than the 721 if you go on ebay (and make sure you get a brand new one). If you have to get a used 522 then get the receiver and smart card numbers and make sure it is not a lease receiver and make sure there is not a balance.

If you just need one television and since you do not have a telephone then the 721 would be a good solution. You would save $5 per month in additional outlet fees and $5 per month in DVR fees so that is $10 a month total, $120 a year savings. If a 721 costs a little more than a 522 then that more than makes up for the difference in price and it would pay for itself in a few years.

If you want two rooms and have a phone line then the 522 is the best option. The additional outlet fee is waived only if you have the active phone line connected to the 522. Another advantage of the 522 is the Name Based Recording. The 721 will never have that.

AEP = America's Everything Package which is around $80 per month depending on if you have locals or not. The DVR fee is waived if you have this package.

21st Hermit said:
dstrouth,

Thanks for your comments. How do you do a reset, menu item or switch or both? I don't recall ever resetting my 501.

Hermit

Reset can be obtained of course by unplugging them, but if you hold down the power button for 3-5 seconds until the tv screen goes blank, and then let it go, it will go through an entire reset. Takes about 5 minutes though...

I've heard of other people having just weird things happen to their 721's, but I guess I've just been lucky. Like I said sometimes it acts weird, but usually a reset fixes it... although resetting it can be frustrating when you are watching something you don't want to miss and it takes 5 minutes to come back up.

On its initial release, the 721 was the buggiest receiver that Dish has ever released. The bug reports filled several pages on every DBS forum. And it stayed buggy for at least a year.

I don't know how it is doing now. Either everyone gave up on them or subsequent software updates fixed many of the problems (I know, I know, hard to believe isn't it?).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts