I want to disconnect my phone line...what will that do?

hoghappy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
millbrook alabama
Hi...complete newbie....I have the vip722and solo211k and want to terminate my land phone line tired of paying for it. My line is connected to the vip722...what will happen if I disconnect? Also...please someone explain what the card does vs what the phone line does vs what actually is done via air waves. How does dish control the card in the box? Is it over the air or the phone line?

Thanks

If you disconnect the phone line the FBI will show up at your door. :)

The phone line is not needed for anything the receiver needs to do, such as update the program guide or get other updates. It used to be more mandatory to avoid a fee, but no longer.
It does allow, depending on the receiver, access to DishOnline, PPV through the remote, sling adaptor, etc...

You do not have to have it hooked to the receiver. Some people no longer even have a regular phone line.

As everyone mentioned, nothing will happen to your programming. Programming authorizations signals come from the satellites.

You will lose the ability to order PPV, VOD using your remote, but PPV can still be ordered online at dish.com as normal.

As everyone mentioned, nothing will happen to your programming. Programming authorizations signals come from the satellites.

You will lose the ability to order PPV, VOD using your remote, but PPV can still be ordered online at dish.com as normal.

UNLESS.... you have it connected via ethernet. Then you lose nothing but caller ID

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:

Not even a programming access fee any more for tv2 when not connevted to a phone line. I have had several customers tell me that a CSR agent told them they would incure a 5 dollar fee for no phone line. Does this fee no longer exist??

I would like the true factual info, not hear say.

Thanks.

Some customers were grandfathered into the fee, but any current/new customer that does not have the fee will not be charged it if they are not connected to anything.

This is true factual info.

If someone is still being charged the $5 fee, it can be removed if they add an email, autopay, and paperless billing.

If you want to keep some phone service at home, you could go voip. I have voicepulse and it works great. It is about $25 a month with unlimited long distance in North America. VoicePulse - Award-winning Phone Service It works fine with Dish and I still have Caller ID on the screen. Its also a lot cheaper than a regular land line.

They also have great call filtering. I set up a rule to send all callers to voicemail and then setup "always ring" rules for friends / family. That way the phone only rings when I want to talk to someone. The other benefit is that you can give your home number to everyone ( credit cards / ...etc ).

MattG@ DISH NETWORK said:
Some customers were grandfathered into the fee, but any current/new customer that does not have the fee will not be charged it if they are not connected to anything.

This is true factual info.

If someone is still being charged the $5 fee, it can be removed if they add an email, autopay, and paperless billing.

Thank you MattG for your timely respobse. Very much appreciated.

If you disconnect the phone line the FBI will show up at your door. :)

The phone line is not needed for anything the receiver needs to do, such as update the program guide or get other updates. It used to be more mandatory to avoid a fee, but no longer.
It does allow, depending on the receiver, access to DishOnline, PPV through the remote, sling adaptor, etc...

You do not have to have it hooked to the receiver. Some people no longer even have a regular phone line.

Just a small correction here, phone lines won't work with the sling adapter (needs broadband), and you also need broadband connection to access IPVOD (the downloadable content some receivers have access to).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)