I want to subscribe, but I'm really scared...

ChetK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Round Rock, TX
This is my first post here, but I've been meaning to post for a while.

I LOVE what VOOM has to offer and I want to get in before May 31.

I have read a lot of things about VOOM. The thing that scares me the most are the horror stories of the installs. Fact is, I shouldn't HAVE to call the installer to "make sure" they'll show up. I shouldn't HAVE to know everything about the install. Isn't that their job? Isn't that what I/VOOM is paying the installer to know?

I've read lists of things to do BEFORE the installer arrives...but let's just pretend that I'm your average consumer that wants the most HDTV possible. I want VOOM, but I don't want to have to babysit them.

I can get all of my locals from my OTA antenna that I already installed myself. I have a built-in tuner, so I'm not too terribly worried about the 8vsb in the VOOM receiver. Basically, I just want to call VOOM, have an installer show up, install it so that it works, and leave. Is that too much to ask? I don't want to have to search message forum for days just so I know that my installation will go flawlessly. Flawless installations should be the norm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing VOOM. I want it really bad right now, but is it worth the fact that I have to light some candles, do a dance, and say a prayer before the installer shows up?

Since you have your OTA already installed, 90% of the Voom headaches are already solved for you. Just do it, the dish part is easy as long as you have line of sight to the sat.

What size dish should I get? Expecially considering the recent news about needing a larger size dish for future upgrades.

Keep in mind this is an Internet forum so by its very nature you will see more complaints than happy stories ;)
Personally my install went very smoothly and I had no trouble at all. Its not like the cable company can't screw up and install too!

ChetK said:
This is my first post here, but I've been meaning to post for a while.

I LOVE what VOOM has to offer and I want to get in before May 31.

I have read a lot of things about VOOM. The thing that scares me the most are the horror stories of the installs. Fact is, I shouldn't HAVE to call the installer to "make sure" they'll show up. I shouldn't HAVE to know everything about the install. Isn't that their job? Isn't that what I/VOOM is paying the installer to know?

I've read lists of things to do BEFORE the installer arrives...but let's just pretend that I'm your average consumer that wants the most HDTV possible. I want VOOM, but I don't want to have to babysit them.

I can get all of my locals from my OTA antenna that I already installed myself. I have a built-in tuner, so I'm not too terribly worried about the 8vsb in the VOOM receiver. Basically, I just want to call VOOM, have an installer show up, install it so that it works, and leave. Is that too much to ask? I don't want to have to search message forum for days just so I know that my installation will go flawlessly. Flawless installations should be the norm.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing VOOM. I want it really bad right now, but is it worth the fact that I have to light some candles, do a dance, and say a prayer before the installer shows up?

Chet,

you are completely right about the installation. It should be flawless. But, and this a big BUT, the same happens with E* or D*. The horror installation stories that you read here represent a small fraction of those that are succesful. I think these guidelines can help you understand what can go wrong during or before installation. As you have read, VOOM has gone beyond the norm to make things right for people after installation went wrong. I would not let these few horror stories, prevent me from going ahead with the installation.

Also, does the billing cycle start when I sign up or when it's installed and running?

If I call on May 30 and they can't install it until mid June, will I still get the zero down deal?

The reason I ask, my Dish Network contract doesn't end until the end of June.

ChetK said:
What size dish should I get? Expecially considering the recent news about needing a larger size dish for future upgrades.

You will be installed with the 18" dish. The other dish is not yet out.

ChetK said:
Also, does the billing cycle start when I sign up or when it's installed and running?

If I call on May 30 and they can't install it until mid June, will I still get the zero down deal?

The reason I ask, my Dish Network contract doesn't end until the end of June.

I will call VOOM but I think you can order up to the 5/31 and still get the deal. Billing will start after installation.

You have to cut voom some slack, these installers have never been required to install antennas with D* and E*. Its a completely different field IMO. and they are babes in the woods.

As others have said, you should be in good shape as you already have an antenna. Off-air antennas are the #1 source of install problems -- the installers mount dishes for a living, but many know little or nothing about antennas.

Just let the installer know when they arrive that you already have an antenna that works for your HDTV locals.

ChetK, welcome to the forum! Don't be scared:

First, majority of installs go well, but those that do fail, are more likely to be reported here. (My install went fine, even though it was the first VOOM install by that company...)

Second, since you are a member of this forum, you are already well equipped to reduce the chances of failure.

Third, a lot of people on this forum will gladly help you out if things do go wrong.

And last but not least, it's certainly worth it!

Good luck!

If it makes you feel better - I had the opposite of a horror story for my voom install - it was a dream.

I called voom and scheduled my install for about 10 days out. The next day, I got an email giving me some instructions on what to expect.

Later that same day, my installer called and set up an install date for two days later!! About a week earlier than what I was expecting.

He called me the morning of the install, set up an exact time to show up at the house (instead of the usual "afternoon between noon and 5), and showed up 10 minutes before the appointment.

When he arrived, he saw that I already had an OTA antenna up, installed the dish, activated the service, and left me some extra cable and the diplexer in case I wanted to mount the voom-provided antenna (so I would have my choice to run a second line or use the diplexer).

Two thumbs up.

The two biggest problems with VOOM installs are (1) LOS; the sat is 61.5 and low in the SE sky. A tree or building could easily block your view. (2) OTA installs.

So, take a look at your SE just above the horizon. What do you see? This is the first thing the installer checks. If there is obstruction you either have to go highest point on your rooftop or no install.

After the install just unhook your OTA and hook up to VOOM. It will recognize Sat channels & OTA channels. That's it.

Good luck.

Ditto on my install, I already had the 24" dish up and the OTA for my 6000, all he had to to was run a few wires, tweak the dish and setup the stb. I ordered mine on a Tuesday and was installed that Saturday. He was in and out in about an hour.

ChetK--I didn't know enough to be apprehensive about an installation. I just expected the guy to install everything and have it work from the start. That's exactly what happened!!

I asked the installer to remove my E* dish and put the Voom dish in it's place. He said he would, but wanted to install the Stealth first. He put that up and ran the wire through the attic, fished it through a wall, and into the STB. Then he mounted the dish, but he didn't like the LOS. So he mounted the dish on the back side of the house in a very concealed location, but with good LOS. Ran Siamese cable from the Dish through the attic, fished that through the wall, and into the STB.

Called Voom and activated the account, and had his own small TV hooked up for initial testing. Everything worked right off the bat. Then he backfed the signal out of the STB to a splitter, using the existing cable so I could hook up my other TV's in different rooms. We had Voom running on three TV's from 1 STB.

I asked him if I owed him anything for the install, and he said 'No Sir, you don't pay me at all'. This guy was flying through the attic, climbing up and down his ladder and mine, fishing wire through walls, and he did the setup like he was working on his own house. He cleaned up his stuff, put away his equipment, gave me his business card and wrote his home phone number on it. He told me to call him personally if I ever had a problem, and to please call him if I found the sunglasses he lost while he was doing the job.

I looked high and low for those sunglasses but couldn't find them. Two days later, he called me and asked if it would be OK if he came back and looked in the attic for his sunglasses. I said sure. Can you imagine wading through piles and piles of insulation in a dark attic trying to find sunglasses? He went up there and two minutes later came down--with the sunglasses.

So I've had Voom since late December, still have the original dish, Stealth antenna, and the original STB. The STB has locked once, and you simply unplug it and then plug it back in. Voom could have made a training video on the installation.

I didn't find this forum until 2 months AFTER installation, but there are some very helpful people here who want Voom to succeed, and they want you to succeed. I didn't do anything special prior to installation, but the installer knew what he was doing, and he was in and out in a couple hours and everything has worked since the first day. I'm sure that is what you want too, so give it a try.

ChetK.... My install went well. I couldnt be happier with VoOm!I like being part of a growing company! Sit back and enjoy the show!

Go for it!

OK! :D Thanks everybody! You talked me into it. I'm going to get it as close to the end of May as possible. I will hate paying for two services at the same time. At least it's only for one month and I'll lessen the E* account to the smallest amount of programming possible to not break my contract. Once the month or June is over, I'm cancelling E*.

Do you guys think it would be smart to sell my E* 6000U on e-bay since they're going for $400-$500? I won't have a need for it unless VoOm gets canned and we all hope that doesn't happen. Plus, after this VoOm lease option, the next thing I'm doing is an HD PVR. Hopefully VoOm will release a nice one. I think I've just talked myself into selling my 6000U on e-bay.

The thing that gets me the most is that I like to do business with honest companies. VoOm seems to keep their promises. I can't count on both hands how many times Charlie has broken promises about HD and PVRs on E*. And it seems like D* only wants to do what it takes to "get by."

I love what VoOm is doing. I hope it sticks around for a very long time.

ChetK said:
OK! :D Thanks everybody! You talked me into it.

Good decision! I'll wish you a smooth install ahead of time.

Do you guys think it would be smart to sell my E* 6000U on e-bay since they're going for $400-$500? I won't have a need for it unless VoOm gets canned and we all hope that doesn't happen. Plus, after this VoOm lease option, the next thing I'm doing is an HD PVR. Hopefully VoOm will release a nice one. I think I've just talked myself into selling my 6000U on e-bay.

:) I'm a procrastinator myself. I'm still holding onto my D* HD200 even though the service is terminated. In my case I would never get near what I paid for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts