I want to upgrade my H20 to a DVR unit,...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kev5n24

Original poster
Aug 31, 2008
...in my bedroom i have an HR20 and its got plenty enough drive space, but i want the ability to record/pause/rewind in the living room too, so im wondering what box model i should look to buy, maybe e on eBay? Keeping it cheap would be nice. Also, just out of curiosity, is there any way to move recordings from one box to another? Oh and it will need to be HD capable as we have HD in both rooms. I see the HR22 model,.. like that it's black, don't like the price though. What's the diff from it to my HR20?

Thanks in advance

...in my bedroom i have an HR20 and its got plenty enough drive space, but i want the ability to record/pause/rewind in the living room too, so im wondering what box model i should look to buy, maybe e on eBay? Keeping it cheap would be nice. Also, just out of curiosity, is there any way to move recordings from one box to another? Oh and it will need to be HD capable as we have HD in both rooms. I see the HR22 model,.. like that it's black, don't like the price though. What's the diff from it to my HR20?

Thanks in advance

The HR20 has an ota tuner in it, the others don't. You would have to add the AM21 tuner module to get ota with any other one. If you are involved in the beta software program you can watch programs that are recorded on different dvrs, but you can't actually move the files from one to another. You should check the CE program out. I would avoid getting a dvr from eBay, since virtually all boxes are leased units and you can't really buy one from an individual. Call Directv and ask them how much they want for one. If you are a "good" customer, you may get a discount. I think the going rate is $199 to lease one. It will extent your commitment by two years no matter where you get it.

Over the Air....basically the old antenna on the roof approach. This way you get signal directly from the local station(s). I run DirecTV and an external antenna for those times, and they aren't many, when the satellite is knocked out due to weather. There are also a couple of small local stations that aren't carried on DirecTV but those aren't an issue for me. Since the house already had an external, though it's really in the attic, antenna and it was cabled for it I've gone with the older HR20/H20 series receivers with the built in OTA tuner. Obviously some day I'll have to upgrade and if DirecTV hasn't changed their minds and put the OTA tuners back in the receivers I'll get AM21's to add on for OTA capability.

If you are a Costco member, they have DVRs (typically HR22) for $169.95. Other than OTA and color, the HR22 has a 500 GB hard drive instead of 300 or 320 GB. There is also a HR23, which so far is only available from Directv. This one is the same, except that the BBCs aren't needed as it has a wide-band tuner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)