I wish E* would keep hands off the 721

I think that one thing that causes the 721 to turn itself on is if call id is turned on and a call comes in. I'm going to keep a close watch on that and see if that is the only thing that is causing it.

Bill R said:
I think that one thing that causes the 721 to turn itself on is if call id is turned on and a call comes in. I'm going to keep a close watch on that and see if that is the only thing that is causing it.

My thoughts on the subject was a timer firing. But that hasn't seemed to pan out yet. However, I will watch the caller id thing.

Another thing - I just turned it on and had garbled characeters on the screen for the guide. Had to restart. Hopefully it will come back up ok.

David said:
I'm glad I read that others were having the same problem of the unit turning itself on. I was blaming the wife and kids for not turning it off. After a couple of days of this I realized that it was doing it by itself. I own two and have to go around the house looking to see if the green light is on. Anyone recognize a pattern as to when/why it does this?

Mine is turning off, not on. I try to leave mine on all the time.

Bill R said:

You are exactly right, I just tested this with my cell phone, as soon as the home phone started ringing my 721 turned on.

If I do not have the caller id enabled the receiver does not turn on when a call comes in

Last edited:
sloooooooooow. Is anyone else having trouble with the 721 running even slower than before the upgrade?

It seems like lockups / spontaneous reboots are happening more often with these recent updates.

Bill R said:
They have also screwed up something that is causing my 721 to turn itself on. At first I thought it may be someone else in the neighborhood that got a new receiver but I have changed the remote address (twice) and it is still coming on by itself.

Bill, I may finally have figured out what the deuce is triggering this.

I changed the remote codes and removed the uhf antenna. For awhile I thought it was coming out of standby and not returning to standby after a timer fired.

Two days ago my wife noticed it roused from standby mode every time the phone rang. I turned off the caller id popup and it hasn't happened since. So my latest theory is the caller id popup is rousing the 721 out of standby mode.

Best regards,
Charles (Eastern Oklahoma)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)