IA5 and AMC4 on same Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

laseradam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 11, 2006
Goshen, OH
I tried to mount a second LNBF next to the exsisting one on my round 1 meter dish to be able to pick up IA5 on the same dish I am using for AMC4. No matter what I did I could not get even a whiff of IA5 . I am guessing that my LNB rings are two big and so that may be why I can't get them spaced close enough.

I read somewhere on here about a Duel lnb mount made just for this application. Has any one tried it. Where can I buy it and what is the cost.

SatelliteAV said they will have one in the near future!

Attachments

• 4degwith-LNBF_back.jpg
    4degwith-LNBF_back.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 206
So, is it possible to add a 2nd lnb for AMC4 to my IA5 lnb? I have the Fortec Universal lnbs. I thought I read that people are doing this. Thanks :)

You should be able to get IA5, unless you are using like 2 Invacom quad LNB’s or something with a HUGE eye cover.

I know with my setup I could get Horizons 1 at 127 on my G10 dish. So it is possible to get 2 LNB’s 4 degrees apart. Right now I have a G10 dish with a LNB for 119 (for my subscription to Dish)

What kind of LNB’s do you have?

iafirebuff said:
So, is it possible to add a 2nd lnb for AMC4 to my IA5 lnb? I have the Fortec Universal lnbs. I thought I read that people are doing this. Thanks :)

yes it is. Those little Fortec "block" type LNB's should work just fine.

KUIL is very strong and 3ABN is pretty strong too

Thanks! I did not want to drag the cables, tv and everything out to "fiddle" if it was a lost cause. I hopt to get some hose clamps tonight :)

The Lnbs I use were like these two. I used wire ties to hook the two together. I blind scaned several time and did not get anything.

Iceman I see that when you did it you used an oval type dish and I am trying to use a round dish. I wonder if that made a difference.

Attachments

• 27_2.jpg
    27_2.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 5c_2.jpg
    5c_2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 172
I used my StarChoice dish which has the LNB’s “squished” to be 3.8 degrees apart (SC is at 107.3 & 111.1)

Round dishes should work with 4 degrees. I am doing it right now with 119/123 and iafire is doing 123/129

If you are standing in front of the dish facing it, the new LNB goes to the LEFT of the existing one.

Yes I put it on the left as I faced the dish. I tried it about 4 diffeerent locations starting on a level a little lower then level and going around the clock to somewhat above the other lnb.

Looking on sat finder 3.8 I see that even though the orbital slots are 4 deg apart, The magnatic heading for my location is 5.8 deg apart. Do you think I might have them to close together

Did you happen to have a tv near you so you could watch the signal meter? That is what I did whn I added IA7 to my G10 lnb. I positioned the lnb next to the G10, then moved it around while watching the signal meter on the tv screen. Then I was able to "eyeball" how big of apiece of wood to use as a spacer. Then I tighten it up, but was still able to move it around to "tweak" it. Once I got a strong signal I was then able to tighten it down all the way, went inside and did a blind scan.

it would be a little lower (not much)

The only other option is to move the dish to IA5 and put the 2nd LNB for 101. 3ABN is a very strong signal so there is some "play room" with a 2nd LNB. That's what I did with my SC dish when I did that test.

Aimed it at 97 and 101 fell into place.

Yea it was so hot out yesterday I thought I would try to cheat a little and then just wiretie it on without dragging out the receiver and TV. I probably will just hold the second LNB by hand and see if I can get a signal and if so rig some kind of mount.

I also ordered a 22kHz switch in anticipation of it working. People are talking about GNC? movies on IA5. But I saw mentioned Sky Angel. Is this channel also on Sky Angel?

I setup the SatelliteAV unit

I set up the SatelliteAv 4 deg dual LNBF on a 90 cm dish over the weekend. It is touchy but I received all of the channels that I have gotten in the past on both AMC 4 and IA5. I highly recommend it. The center line spacing of the LNBs is 1.5 inches, a little off for for the 18.75" Focal length of the dish. Works any way. Very small lens on the LNB at 1.5 inches. The picture at post #2 by PSB is the unit. The retail cost for the two LNBs, 2X1 DISEQC Switch, 2-39" jumper Cables plus the bracket is about $50. Not shown on their web sit yet, need to call and ask for KT-DEA1.

Last edited:
laseradam said:
Yea it was so hot out yesterday I thought I would try to cheat a little and then just wiretie it on without dragging out the receiver and TV. I probably will just hold the second LNB by hand and see if I can get a signal and if so rig some kind of mount.

I also ordered a 22kHz switch in anticipation of it working.

Yes, it will work! I too am waiting for a 22Khz switch to arrive! In my case, I already have a LNB pointed at IA5, and the new LNB will point at AMC4.

I just went out and did a wobbly hand-held attempt to receive AMC4 and while the LNBs were kissing, I had no problem pulling in a 60-70% SQ on AMC4 transponders 11705 V 2170 (KUIL) and 11822 H 5700 (3ABN).

Since there are more FTA transponders and programming on IA5, you might want to point your dish at IA5 and do AMC4 as the offset LNB.

Only other transponder I tried on AMC4 was 12120 V 30000 which was weak (20s SQ) but it was hand-held and I may have to reposition my dish and bracket to boost the signal, as my AMC4 LNB was approximately 8 degrees off centre.

While the attachment below is out of date (bracket has been switched around in anticipation of the addition of the AMC4 LNB) it does show my setup. The left LNB is pointed at AMC3, the right at IA5. Originally, the dish was pointed at IA5. With AMC3 10 degrees away, I moved the dish approximately 4 degrees towards AMC3 (not changing the dish elevation) and offset the IA5 LNB (was some signal loss on IA5, but was a major boost in signal quality on AMC3).

Attachments

• dish2a.jpg
    dish2a.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)