ID this Dish....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
armed 'n dangerous !

...a lot of folks say running dual band on one dish is a compromise on both bands.
Cant speak to it from experience, My Ku 'catchers are retired primestars.
I just know what I've read here.
Maybe there's a secret to tuning with the BSC-621, that only the old timers know and haven't shared.
Linuxman did a hell of a job with the GeoSatPro CK-1 dual band, but ...
Now, he and TruckRacer have bought into the Chaparall Bullseye II (for mucho $$)

I know the co-rotor based dual band and the Bullseye II will get the job done.
I'm not planning on going with either.
Too much trouble, and too much money, respectively.

In fact, that's why I'm keeping my Ku on the side, and so any C-band only dish will be just fine when I locate one.
For C-only the BSC621, the CK-1, and the Sadoun/Eagle Aspen bandstacked should all work.
I actually have the latter two, so I'm all set. - :eureka - Just lookin' for a dish.

Going to give the BSC621-2 another shot with the other dish. Should be much better on the KU side since the perf's on it are smaller then an 1/8". From what I am reading also there is a sweet spot on the 621-2 that you have to find. If it doesn't work then I will hang my lnb from my DirecPC dish on the scaler ring and use it for the KU side. It is a single coax, linear,voltage switched lnb that is pointed at G18 right now.
:up:)

Attachments

• P9030003.JPG
    P9030003.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 119
  • P9030002.JPG
    P9030002.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 103
Went over and took apart the feed supports today.Here is what was under the feed cover.All pretty much useless to me as I'm using a VS Ultra, except for the scaler ring.Old analog LNC and polarator.

That's an old LNC not an LNB, totally useless today.

birdview dishes

If birdview dishes are the most wanted dish why don't they still make them? Looks like if there was a demand for them they would still produce them. :confused:

How much would you personally pay for one, and how many would you purchase?
Birdview had at least three different business entities during its history, and did quite well---when the dish part of the system could be sold for several thousand dollars. It has to do with demand. Starting with DirecTV in 1994 and DISH in 1996, people were convinced to discontinue using their big dishes in huge numbers.
Not enough big dishes were sold after the advent of new competition, and most of those manufacturers disappeared one by one starting with the original "crash" with HBO scrambling their C-band signals in January 1986, and DBS finishing them off by the end of the 90s.

Back to my first question: how much would you pay for one of these beauties today, if Birdview was still in business? Patriot and Andersen Mfg/True Focus are the only major players left in solid antennas today (SAMI still does a few mesh ones), and I can count my annual sales of both on my fingers, during a good year.
A ten footer with a polar mount starts at over 1400 dollars, and with metals pricing constantly going up, they will continue to get more expensive. And some of you out there might complain about spending 200 or 300 dollars for a gently used antenna such as the Birdview; preferring to get it for free. Scrounging is one thing, but let's get real----new products are sold at today's prices, and if there is not enough sales volume, manufacturers go out of business. The fewer companies left, the less competition...and you should know the rest.

oh so they still make 'em.... Interesting. :)
Birdviews are no longer manufactured.

The dishes Mike was referring to are the only ones still being manufactured today.

Mike is also correct in his explanation about the cost of these dishes new. I have been extremely fortunate in my scrounging efforts to find the dishes I have for free. That doesn't mean I have no cost involved in getting them home and operational.

Think of the cost involved in driving to Nashville to bring home one of the Birdview dishes, or Thomas' trip from Florida to Texas.

$1400.00 might be cheap in some respects once all is said and done. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts