Ideal Blu-ray player capabilities

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
So what are the ideal (but possible in the real world) capabilities for a Blu-ray player? I won't buy until it seems clear that Blu-ray has won the format war, or will at least clearly be around for the long term. But what should we look for in such a machine?

I'll start the list. Please add to it so we don't overlook something when we go shopping. Or even suggest that some I've listed really aren't so important. I'll try to add suggestions to this "first post" of the thread as people make suggestions, if we hit a couple of pages or more.

I'll assume all BD players will equally support Java, and that we're talking about the "BD-Live" version. I'd love it to read DVD-RAM, but that's probably expecting too much. I'd also REALLY like it to support DVD-Audio, but with Sony & SACD..........

1. Reasonable price, however each one of us might define that.
2. Ethernet connection so it may receive firmware updates (& perhaps other features) via the internet.
3. Able to read at least 2 layers (any chance of them supporting more in the near future?).
4. Output 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p.
5. Have HDMI, component, and S-video and/or composite outputs.
6. All outputs be active simultaneously.
7. Support HDMI 1.3.
8. Play DVD-ROM, DVD +/-R, DVD +/-RW, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD, SVCD, MP3, WMA (& hopefully OGG & WAV).
9. Upconvert all readable discs to HD, or pass natively, at the user's option.
10. Optical output as well as RCA jacks.
11. Support up to 7.1/24 bits and linear (uncompressed) PCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS, DTS ES and DTS HD (did I miss any?).
12. Included remote control.
13. Can be controlled by "universal" IR remotes such as Harmony.
14. Support for BD+.
15. PIP.
16. Secondary audio support.
17. Play not only BD-ROM discs, but also BD-R & BD-RE discs.
18. Smooth fast forward action/high speed search.

Perhaps come summer I'll prepare a grid listing models and features.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)