Ideas to get sling content from my home DVR to my TV in my apartment

That only works with an actual slingbox, the wdtv doesn't work with the sling adapter.

That's right. forget how limited the sling adapter is.

luckily, though, an older model slingbox can be bought at a pretty decent price these days.

Went to the local apple reseller and they were out of stock on the hdmi adapter.

I'm waiting for a merger between two cable companies in PR to go through. When that happens hopefully I'll have service with 2mbps upload at home instead of 1mb which is what I currently have.

I'm also trying to get a nice ota antenna so I don't have to rely on the sling that much. Problem is that I live very far from the towers :/

I'll report back when I get the adapter.

Went to the local apple reseller and they were out of stock on the hdmi adapter.

I'm waiting for a merger between two cable companies in PR to go through. When that happens hopefully I'll have service with 2mbps upload at home instead of 1mb which is what I currently have.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2750586927.png

I'm also trying to get a nice ota antenna so I don't have to rely on the sling that much. Problem is that I live very far from the towers :/

I'll report back when I get the adapter.

Occasionally we get things first in the USVI. The above is our new speed. Just cam on line a couple weeks ago on St. Croix and rolled out on St. Thomas this weekend. Don't give up hope.

Occasionally we get things first in the USVI. The above is our new speed. Just cam on line a couple weeks ago on St. Croix and rolled out on St. Thomas this weekend. Don't give up hope.

Wow thats simply awesome! How much do you pay a month?

At my apartment I have liberty cable 5mbs/2mbps up for $42 at home I have Claro 3mbps/1mb up for $44 a month. I'm waiting for liberty cable to complete its merger with OneLink which serves my home hoping to get the same service and price that I get at my apartment.

empiretc is right: If one really wants to sling to HDTV without a PC/laptop/tablet being bogged down for such a function, then an external SlingBox with a $65 WD Live (or Sony with Google TV or Netgear Neo TV or the discontinued Boxee Box) that has the Sling Player app preloaded and ready to use is THE way to go, and is excellent HD PQ. The less expensive SlingBox 350 does the job (some of older SlngBoxes on ebay can be MORE expensive) unless you really want the more expensive SlingBox 500. The Slingbox could be connected to a Joey if one does not want the Hopper to be taken hostage by the SlingBox when Slinging, but some content may be HDCP using the HDMI, so if you want HD, then the component outputs of the Hopper offer the best bet on no HDCP problems, or settle for the Joey's Composites for SD.

The Sling-loaded (and Sling Adapter) is really limited and designed for Slinging to mobile devices as the Hopper and Joeys are what a Dish subscriber would use to send HD to other TV's in the house and I presume a 2nd Dish account for HDTV at a different location. I don't think Dish really wanted to go to the realm of making it easy to Sling-loaded content to an HDTV for whatever reason. Echostar's SlingBox is a slightly different beast that relies on Slinging the output of almost any playback device.

I will say that if one is trying to get Dish HDTV at an HDTV at a different domicile or other locations fairly often, then the SlingBox solution is certainly cheaper than a 2nd pay TV account, and with no monthly fees from Sling. However, it might use up your ISP datacap. In such a case, a business ISP account can come with no data caps for only a little bit more per month, depending upon your provider.

Wow thats simply awesome! How much do you pay a month?

At my apartment I have liberty cable 5mbs/2mbps up for $42 at home I have Claro 3mbps/1mb up for $44 a month. I'm waiting for liberty cable to complete its merger with OneLink which serves my home hoping to get the same service and price that I get at my apartment.

I pay $99 a month. No data caps. Even using a VPN I can easily stream Amazon, BBC, etc.

I pay $99 a month. No data caps. Even using a VPN I can easily stream Amazon, BBC, etc.

Thats a great price! At home I can get OneLink service but their only package that offers 2mbps upload costs $74.99 a month. This includes 20mbps of download.

I'm thinking of switching once my contract with my DSL company finishes but I'm waiting for a package with a similar cost to mines($40-$50 a month) that includes 2mbps upload. Right now I'm putting two kids through college and my wallet cries for every dollar spent :coffee At least one of them is about to graduate!

The only thing keeping me from cutting the cord is Dish's sling technology allowing me to take my content everywhere so I get more value out of my monthly fees.

Hey guys, I finally decided to cut the cord at my apartment and cancel our dish account there. I tried to live with locals but its almost impossible to pick them up OTA.

Right nowI have a hopper with sling connected to my home dsl (3mbps down 1mbps upload). And the PQ is nice on my ipad, iphone and laptop.

So far this is what I have accomplished.

Setup 1- apple TV 2
-hardwired to my network at the apartment (5mbps down, 2mbps up)
-Airplay works!.... Only when in HQ mode and since my home internet is slow, Its stutters in HQ. SQ is watchable but airplay won't work and i don't understand why(only sound)

At this moment the solution to get this working is to upgrade the internet at home where the dvr is. The problem is that no isp offers more than 1mb upload in that area.

Setup 2- Windows 8 laptop connected via HDMI
-works and looks good when I select "better" in the dish anywhere quality settings.
-is a small hassle to carry the laptop and not being able to work while I watch tv.
-need to use my ipad as a remote in order to control the tv

Is there any other way to get sling content onto a tv? If not I'm thinking of building a cheap HTPC or buying a super cheap desktop and plugging it into the tv with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If you are already using Airplay with your Apple TV I don't think there is any reason to buy the HDMI adapter. From my experience they are both under the same rules meaning apps that block Airplay also block HDMI. If low quality is blocked on Airplay I would bet it's also blocked on HDMI.

Even easier solution IMO, get an HDMI long enough to reach your couch, connect the laptop, & simy use the TV as a secondary screen. I do it all the time on my desktop & did it on my laptop before I got rid of it. Not sure where to access the display settigns in Win8 as I absolutely refuse to install a tablet-based OS on my desktop without a touch screen & some more user controls.

If you are already using Airplay with your Apple TV I don't think there is any reason to buy the HDMI adapter. From my experience they are both under the same rules meaning apps that block Airplay also block HDMI. If low quality is blocked on Airplay I would bet it's also blocked on HDMI.

Yes but I airplay is wireless which is subject to interference and other variables. I'm thinking the HDMI adapter can help in a small way.

Yes but I airplay is wireless which is subject to interference and other variables. I'm thinking the HDMI adapter can help in a small way.

That's true depending on how far you are sitting from the router etc... Remember that airplay doesn't connect to the WAN though. It operates entirely within your internal network and it is capable of delivering much more bandwidth than the external network signal you already have to use through that very same WiFi connection on your iPad to get the sling signal in the first place. Unless you found a way to plug Ethernet into your iPad you are going to have to use WiFi for sling anyways.

The original problem was not airplay quality. The problem was that the Dish Anywhere app apparently blocks airplay if you aren't getting a "high quality" stream from sling. I don't think that will change because you use an HDMI adapter instead of airplay. Usually the same app rules apply for mirroring whether it is through airplay or HDMI. The problem is the WAN speed not that LAN speed. Normally I am all for wired over wireless. I wired every device to Ethernet in my house except for the ones that only support wireless. In this case, however, I think you would just be spending money on an adapter that won't fix your problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's true depending on how far you are sitting from the router etc... Remember that airplay doesn't connect to the WAN though. It operates entirely within your internal network and it is capable of delivering much more bandwidth than the external network signal you already have to use through that very same WiFi connection on your iPad to get the sling signal in the first place. Unless you found a way to plug Ethernet into your iPad you are going to have to use WiFi for sling anyways.

The original problem was not airplay quality. The problem was that the Dish Anywhere app apparently blocks airplay if you aren't getting a "high quality" stream from sling. I don't think that will change because you use an HDMI adapter instead of airplay. Usually the same app rules apply for mirroring whether it is through airplay or HDMI. The problem is the WAN speed not that LAN speed. Normally I am all for wired over wireless. I wired every device to Ethernet in my house except for the ones that only support wireless. In this case, however, I think you would just be spending money on an adapter that won't fix your problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I get you, I'll think about it or ask someone to see if I can borrow one and test it. I also wrote to dish about my airplay concerns hoping to see an improvement.

I also like the idea of a long hdmi cable to my laptop, i'll fuss around with it when I go back there in 3 weeks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)