If ala carte was available..........

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
this has nothing to do with the cable companies.. all to do with content providers.. they make deals to lower prices for some channels if they take other channels as well.. some wont even offer channels (eh hem ESPN) without taking a slew of other channels regardless of if you want them.. technically you could get channels A, B, and C, you just need to also get/pay for channel D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, and M.. :)

I think if "a la carte" ever came to pass, it would increase our costs and decrease our options. Probably eliminate some of my favorites, such as the Military Channel, so it makes no sense to pick 10 when many of those 10 might no longer be around.

Exactly right!!!

But right now over $ 300.00 leaves this house a month to one satellite provider, local cable, and a bundled internet service provider; and I've never enjoyed content programming less . (Not for a good twenty-five years.)

Typical example is G4:

At one time, it had several good computer and game oriented programs in its lineup.
Now G4 programming consists almost entirely of cheap reality shows which I just don't watch.
"Attack of the Show" is a good tool for the electronics industry to sell their wares, but that is just about it...

IMF no longer exists, and I stopped watching the "newly reimagined" SYFY last August.

Remaining channels which I rarely watch are beginning to resemble the hood of a Nascar racer... with banners, pop-up ads, and little animated logos all attempting to "find value" for their content providers.

Eventually it seems, I'll be paying a thousand dollars a month for one rarely viewed science channel with a screen covered in personally targeted pop-ups and banner ads.

I fully realize this is the fault of the content providers... Not Dish, Echostar, or cable companies.

But at times I wonder... Might "ala carte" lead to better programming choices with less advertisment ?
Isn't that how free-market capitalism is supposed to work ?

Last edited:
I would only really need the top four but if I had to pick ten then here they are.

MSNBC
Comedy Central
HBO
Showtime

HGTV
SYFY
HIST
NATGEO
SCI
CNN

CBC (hey nobody said we couldnt pick them)
TSN (see above)
TSN2 (ditto)
Showcase (again see above)
ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU
USA (for wrestling)
Spike (for wrestling)

Syfy
USA
National Geo
Fox News
ESPN
HGTV
Disney
BBCA
History

9 are all I can think of right now that are non premiums. I like HBO/SHO. This would keep most of my family visitors satisfied too.

It will be interesting to see what Apple comes up with with their new offering.

The DVR has really killed off my channel demand. I have so many shows programmed in them that I never need to surf around and find anything interesting. It is hard enough watching everything that I DVR. I wonder how much this is true of all DVR owners. Is the DVR further narrowing people's viewing habits?

Science Channel
HBO
NatGeo
Sci-Fi (I will never call it the idiotic name the changed it to)
BBC America
TCM
Fox Movie Channel
History Channel
History International
Militaty Channel

When I'm forced to come up with 10 essentials, it points out just how little I actually watch. Mine would be:

FX
Food Network
USA
Discovery
Travel
HBO
TNT
Comedy Central
MSNBC
AMC

Discovery
Science
Food
Disney
ABC Family
Boomerag
TNT (we don't watch this now but I'd keep it just so I'd have some movies)
Locals

That's All my family watches

ABC Family
Animal Planet
Comedy Central
Discovery
Fox News
HGTV
NatGeo
SciFi
TCM
Travel Channel

A&E
BBC-A
USA
Sci-Fi
ABC Fam
ESPN
TLC
Starz East or Epix (or possible both if I could get them to timeshare)
ESPN
Euronews

Those ten would keep myself and my wife satisfied.

what i would like is to be able to subscribe to channel packs of sorts. like Kids, Sports, science/discovery and so on. kind of the way we do with premiums.

I guess that if i could get all the kids channels with any package even if it was an addon pack. i could drop to a much lower package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts