If Directv could improve your experince and keep you for life what would do it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
The quesiton stands. If Directv could improve you experience and keep you for life, what would do it? There are a few caviots to this question though.

(Insert your favorate collage sports channel here) isnt apart of this as DirecTV is aware and working on this.

Directv is fully aware that everyone wants SEC, Pac12, Longhorn, ect. The problem is nobody wants the 30 percent increase in their bill that only some regional subs get. I wouldnt count out the SEC network or any other network, especally the ESPN stuff as that contract is up for renewal alot sooner than later. Infact, I hope Watch ESPN is included in that, but when you get into the digitial rights that often holds up these contracts and that could be holding up Dish's contract with ESPN.

Price increases shouldnt be apart of this (for the most part) as the programmers force price increases on the providers. DirecTV has no choice about this other than to fight back at programming contract renewals. The only way to really change this would be to fight against programmers and force them to reduce their costs. This is going to be challanging as the only real way to do that would be to merge and while that may or may not happen, it's not going to change how the TV buisness operates now and how programmers vaule niche programming. I expect to see this continue as the market is very saturated.

With that said,

What would do it for you? I personally would like to see loyalty pricing. The longer you are with DirecTV the cheaper your bill gets. After 2 years, 2 percent off of your bill, 5 years 5% up to 20 for 20 percent, ect.

No doubt that technology is going to drive the future and 4k is coming. I would also would like to see an expansion on the HD side and ultimatly remove all SD channels unless if they are native SD. Digital content is cool, but I think the ultimate would be to have the ablity have services like netflix and hulu as apart of your Directv subscription and even direct billing through your DirecTV bill. The more you bundle the more you save.

What is on your bucket list?

I like loyalty pricing.

I'd also like something like the sling adapter where I could watch live tv or dvr recordings sitting on the beach 500 miles from my house, or watch a fball game riding down the highway. Have done both with Dish.

They would really get my attention if they would spread channels out a little more once they got space, and increase PQ. Or move into H265/HEVC.

Long term customers should also get updated equipment without a two year commitment, or drop the lease fee.

1. Better firmware that runs faster on the boxes. Pressing a button on the remote and waiting 5 seconds for it to appear on the screen is 100% unacceptable.
2. Loyal customer pricing
3. Better bundling options. Way too limited right now.
4. A better over the air interface featuring all OTA channels and OTA scanning.
5. A-LA-CARTE pricing options, or even subpackages. Why should I have to pay for 50% of channels I never watch? How about packages such as
a) News and Weather
b) Sports
c) Home Inprovement
d) Women's programming
e) Science, History, and Investigative
f) Children's programming
g) Comedy
h) Pop Culture

People are cutting the cord because the large packages are getting too expensive. Give people a choice what they can cut.

6. Improve the DirecTV Anywhere to make it easier to install and use.

# 2 and #3 from above, Never had the #1 issue. ((% of TV's have a better ATSC tuner so no need. #5 is a pipe dream and does not work in reality no matter how good it sounds.

1. Better firmware that runs faster on the boxes. Pressing a button on the remote and waiting 5 seconds for it to appear on the screen is 100% unacceptable.
2. Loyal customer pricing
3. Better bundling options. Way too limited right now.
4. A better over the air interface featuring all OTA channels and OTA scanning.
5. A-LA-CARTE pricing options, or even subpackages. Why should I have to pay for 50% of channels I never watch? How about packages such as
a) News and Weather
b) Sports
c) Home Inprovement
d) Women's programming
e) Science, History, and Investigative
f) Children's programming
g) Comedy
h) Pop Culture

People are cutting the cord because the large packages are getting too expensive. Give people a choice what they can cut.

6. Improve the DirecTV Anywhere to make it easier to install and use.

This. Probably nothing better said.

Loyalty pricing, after 5 years, 10%, after 10 years, 15%, 20% if you been carrying Priemere.
Drop the Commitment after the original 2 years.
Make HD free.

I find reading this thread VERY interesting, because most of you have nothing to say. Loyalty pricing, o-k that seems fair and reasonable, but other than that it sure seems Directv is doing everything pretty darn right! Most of what I read is mostly petty stuff that maybe one person wants, but the vast majority could care less. I would say this thread shows just how good directv is doing. Best DVR in the buisness/best sports/best os/best picture quality/best channel packages

loyalty pricing would be nice but 2 percent off? i can call and get credits that equal more than 2 percent off

one thing that directv should do hopefully soon is add locals here. yeah i know. we are 1 of the 13 markets that directv does not carry yet. dont get me wrong the fact there is no abc or fox in the area is nice as i get abc & fox from los angeles (i use a am21 for the cbs & nbc locally). You look around town and directv is getting killed by dish since they have locals (about a 4 or 5 to 1 clip at least just seeing dishes).

Upgraded equipment every 2 years regardless of whether or not you have the protection plan.............. without extra fees or "purchasing" the equipment upgrades...

SIG
:

An Extended HDD that is married to your account, not your DVR! I recently lost about 1/2 TB of programming on my HR34. DTV replaced it with the HR44, which was nice. However I'm seriously considering going back to Dish just for their vastly superior storage handling. My commitment is up in 4 months. They'll have to give me free Sunday ticket to keep me through the year.

An Extended HDD that is married to your account, not your DVR! I recently lost about 1/2 TB of programming on my HR34. DTV replaced it with the HR44, which was nice. However I'm seriously considering going back to Dish just for their vastly superior storage handling. My commitment is up in 4 months. They'll have to give me free Sunday ticket to keep me through the year.

Yes, being able to move the EHD from unit to unit would be nice, as you wouldn't lose your recordings when replacing a recvr.
Also, enabling the internal HD to work With the EHD would be a good move as well.

I'd like to see a partnership with key streaming companies and integrate it into the Directv DVR. I'm visioning Netflix as part of my Directv subscription, where I can search or browse DirecTV's on demand library along with key partners all at the same time.

It makes a big difference in the user experience, and no company has mastered it yet.

That said before they can get there DirecTVs DVRs need a speed overhaul - and the on demand should be on demand, not download. No reason people with a 3MB or higher connection speed can't stream a HD quality program.

Knowing those things aren't imminent, one key thing would enhance my experience - a guide screen with more than 6 channels and more than 90 minutes. I'd like 10 channels and 3 hours of visibility, or some options to chose from - like Dish does.

- Loyalty pricing would be #1 in my list.
- Faster receivers. For some people (in the Directv forum) the D* receivers are fast enough but when you've had E* receivers, you can notice the difference right away.
- Be able to watch live TV on my phone when I'm not at home. We can do it only on a few channels, should be available on all the channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts