If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

• Yes - Definitely!!!

Votes: 104 21.5%
  • No - Will use another source for content / downgrade package.

Votes: 322 66.7%
  • Maybe - just not sure

Votes: 57 11.8%

• Total voters
Waiting to decide on Switching to Dish on the AMC results.

I wont switch as I must have AMC to watch Walking Dead and there other shows.
I hope they work this out soon/

Waiting to decide on Switching to Dish on the AMC results.

I wont switch as I must have AMC to watch Walking Dead and there other shows.
I hope they work this out soon/
That is an aspect that is being totally ignored in this debate. How many possible subs will Dish never gain because of the lack of the AMC channels?

We talk about how many might drop Dish. But, lower numbers of new subs is a significant factor, as it is usually what compensates for normal churn. I can almost gurantee that churn has been higher than normal these last few weeks, and will jump in Q3 if AMC gets dropped. If new sub numbers go down, then I would not wanna be Dish's VP of Investor Relations or CFO during the Q&A and press coverage following their next two earnings calls.

What's the AMC channel?

This is the most ironic and funny post of the day. Not directed at you allen, but this is an indicator of the channel's overall popularity. Oh, it's really popular with those that watch, but not those that don't. More don't watch than do.

This is the most ironic and funny post of the day. Not directed at you allen, but this is an indicator of the channel's overall popularity. Oh, it's really popular with those that watch, but not those that don't. More don't watch than do.
I think his post was a sarcastic way of saying just that. It is doubtful that people really don't know what AMC is.

I don't watch a lot of channels and programming. But, I know what Lifetime, CMT, The Bachelor, and Bridezillas are, for instance.

Besides any money lost due to AMC being dropped will be made up some place else.

Does Dish still promise to keep prices the same for another year or two? This is a heck of a cheapskate way to do it -- the tiers' pricing is the same. We're just dropping a few troublesome channels.

And yeah, I like Red Zone (why I got Dish in the first place), but I'm afraid I've discovered that it's no replacement for Sunday Ticket. Now that I'm not shutting off Dish after the season and spending $15 a month on the Welcome Pack, it's not that horribly much more to go in for two years (especially when I consider Ticket's price a la cart -- $340). With the AAA discount, it's getting close enough I'd consider pulling the trigger, especially if I can drop Choice Xtra to another qualifying package after the season or year.

But honestly, $15 a month for AMC and Comedy Central was a little too good to be true from the start.

Mad Men has won fifteen Emmys and four golden globes. The Walking Deads season two finale was the most watched basic cable showing in history. Breaking Bad has won six Emmys and had two golden globe nominations. The killing has had near universal praise. Regardless of how you feel about a tv provider numbers don't lie. AMC has some of the most watched and critically acclaimed series on television. I work for Dish and enjoy my job, and I also enjoy their service at home, but no matter what AMC is an important channel. What other channel had shows of this caliber? What are all y'all watching Swamp People and cake boss? Amc is a great channel and I wouldn't let my blind love for a company dictate what I thought about a channel.
P.S. some of this dish love is kinda weird. Do you form attachments like this to other companies that provider a service? Would you be up in arms if Roto-Rooter changed their business model?

Mad Men has won fifteen Emmys and four golden globes. The Walking Deads season two finale was the most watched basic cable showing in history. Breaking Bad has won six Emmys and had two golden globe nominations. The killing has had near universal praise. Regardless of how you feel about a tv provider numbers don't lie. AMC has some of the most watched and critically acclaimed series on television. I work for Dish and enjoy my job, and I also enjoy their service at home, but no matter what AMC is an important channel. What other channel had shows of this caliber? What are all y'all watching Swamp People and cake boss? Amc is a great channel and I wouldn't let my blind love for a company dictate what I thought about a channel.
P.S. some of this dish love is kinda weird. Do you form attachments like this to other companies that provider a service? Would you be up in arms if Roto-Rooter changed their business model?
There are a few "cable" channels that provide quality original programming, such as TNT, TBS, FX, and even History, with their newset offering, Hatfields and McCoys, which is supposedly the highest rated cable series ever. Let's not forget HBO, Showtime, and Starz, as well. But, yes, AMC is an important channel, as important as any of the above.

I couldn't agree more about the Dish love, though. It is weird.

Exactly. I didn't say AMC was the only channel with good original programming but it is definitely in the top ten. It just kinda baffles me when people come on the forums and say things like nobody watches AMC and that's it's a throwaway channel. I just don't see how anyone could say that. Use google. See how many times the walking dead was trending world wide on twitter. I don't like the Yankees but to say they're a terrible team and no one watches them would be an outright lie. Just because you feel a particular way about something in no way means every other single person shares that exact mindset.

Exactly. I didn't say AMC was the only channel with good original programming but it is definitely in the top ten. It just kinda baffles me when people come on the forums and say things like nobody watches AMC and that's it's a throwaway channel. I just don't see how anyone could say that. Use google. See how many times the walking dead was trending world wide on twitter. I don't like the Yankees but to say they're a terrible team and no one watches them would be an outright lie. Just because you feel a particular way about something in no way means every other single person shares that exact mindset.

You should read both of the AMC threads. AMC is not a top 10 channel, it is a top 20 channel, 16th or 17th, I believe. It has highly rated programming for 1-2 hrs out of the entire week, the rest of the week is highly edited movies with lots of commercials, that don't rate that well.

This dispute is about many things; price, channel bundling, legal issues etc..

At the right price either on its own or even cheaper bundled with its cohort channels (IFC, WE and Sundance), I am sure the channels will remain or come back should they be removed.

You should read both of the AMC threads. AMC is not a top 10 channel, it is a top 20 channel, 16th or 17th, I believe. It has highly rated programming for 1-2 hrs out of the entire week, the rest of the week is highly edited movies with lots of commercials, that don't rate that well.

This dispute is about many things; price, channel bundling, legal issues etc..

At the right price either on its own or even cheaper bundled with its cohort channels (IFC, WE and Sundance), I am sure the channels will remain or come back should they be removed.

Well done. I hadn't used AMC for movies much other than to tune in for a few minutes at a time, and then DVR'd Talladega Nights. I'm pretty sure entire subplots were edited out. Wow. There are a few good shows and then, as you say, lots of chaff.

It's an interesting spectacle to watch. I mean, sure, it's a good channel, but that doesn't give AMC absolute bargaining power. When the negotiations reach this sort of public state, it's pretty neat stuff. The lawsuit is interesting. The move from 130 to whatever four digit channel, screwing up customer DVRs for the shows, along with the AMC commercials saying Dish is about to dump you, are, from my living room, kinda like the lightning from gods fighting. I wonder how close the poll here, where people like us go to vent, is anything close to representative to the Dish using market at large. I also wonder why losing channels doesn't break the two year commitments folks have -- weren't they promised a certain slate of channels when they signed up? How many can Dish "lose" before that's rendered null?

Well done. I hadn't used AMC for movies much other than to tune in for a few minutes at a time, and then DVR'd Talladega Nights. I'm pretty sure entire subplots were edited out. Wow. There are a few good shows and then, as you say, lots of chaff.

It's an interesting spectacle to watch. I mean, sure, it's a good channel, but that doesn't give AMC absolute bargaining power. When the negotiations reach this sort of public state, it's pretty neat stuff. The lawsuit is interesting. The move from 130 to whatever four digit channel, screwing up customer DVRs for the shows, along with the AMC commercials saying Dish is about to dump you, are, from my living room, kinda like the lightning from gods fighting. I wonder how close the poll here, where people like us go to vent, is anything close to representative to the Dish using market at large. I also wonder why losing channels doesn't break the two year commitments folks have -- weren't they promised a certain slate of channels when they signed up? How many can Dish "lose" before that's rendered null?

Great question.

Actually, 15th and 16th, depending on primetime or 24 hour. But, even at that non-top-ten position, it is more popular than another 85 or so channels that Dish feels are important to keep.

I don't see any Dish pack called America's Top 10.

GaryPen said:
Actually, 15th and 16th, depending on primetime or 24 hour. But, even at that non-top-ten position, it is more popular than another 85 or so channels that Dish feels are important to keep.

Yes, because the contracts for all those channels are also up at the end of the month and Dish has reached agreement to continue carrying all of them except the AMC family of channels. Dish plays hard ball at renewal with just about every network (Discovery nets being the one exception that I can think of).

Implying that Dish is treating AMC differently because it isn't threatening to pull other "85 or so" channels that are still under contract makes no sense. Each network/suite of channels gets evaluated when the contract is up for renewal, implying that Dish has the discretion to drop other less popular channels without violating existing contracts is simply contrary to how things work.

There's enough to discuss related to AMC without muddying the waters with nonsensical comments and irrational expectations.

That's because Disney won't allow it, you know they want to count both the SD and HD channels separately. So it would have to be something like Mickey's Top 20 or something, then of course Viacom would want to have Sponge Bob's Irrelevant 20 package, that is really only 9 channels, but they need to look like they are as good as Disney, but I digress. :D

I'm sure AMC could come up with something catchy for the 166 hrs of little watched programming they have each week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)