If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

• Yes - Definitely!!!

Votes: 104 21.5%
  • No - Will use another source for content / downgrade package.

Votes: 322 66.7%
  • Maybe - just not sure

Votes: 57 11.8%

• Total voters
Can we add a second poll. How many Yes and No's actually followed through on their vote?

I'm following through on my vote of dropping DISH. I am glad to see that they have made so many people happy w/ the Roku and credits. It just didn't seam a viable option for me, because of how I watch tv, I like to sit and flick with the remote and if it catches my eye I watch, no matter the network.Sometimes those old DIE HARD movies just need to be watched ! Plus I watch all the RIFLEMANS on sat morning :D so I would need LOTS of credits to pay for that. Between BREAKING BAD, HELL ON WHEELS AND WALKING DEAD, and those RIFLEMAN's I'll be spending a ton of money (and the occasional BRIDEZILLA, geez I hate to admit that) For the people who watch just for the big shows, I think what DISH did is a wonderful solution, and it seems to have saved them quite a few customers. So yes I'll be switching to the other guys, but am not leaving with such a bitter taste. As a few of us have said, it's business and not personal. :p

I dropped them too. They can take their Roku and stick it. There is no replacement for the lost channels. You didn't even mention the gems on IFC like Portlandia (which I now get in HD on cable BTW). Even if I could care less about AMC, I'm no longer getting what I signed up for. Of course per the contract they can drop anything and everything they like (which I think is wrong in the first place), but I don't have to accept it, and I didn't.

I disagree with your statement that it's not personal. It is with Dish. I think it's pretty clear now they never intended to negotiate. They only intended to punish AMC for the lawsuit.

I also don't think the clause in their contract saying they can drop anything would stand up in court. There should be reasonable limits to what they can drop and how dropped channels are replaced. They've far passed those limits and failed to offer in kind replacements. After handing out a few Rokus and credits, they're starting to tighten the restrictions on those as well (must prove you don't already own a streaming device, etc.).

As you can tell I'm pretty angry about the whole thing. I'll likely never subscribe to either satellite service again.

Can we add a second poll. How many Yes and No's actually followed through on their vote?

I'm following through on my vote of dropping DISH. I am glad to see that they have made so many people happy w/ the Roku and credits. It just didn't seam a viable option for me, because of how I watch tv, I like to sit and flick with the remote and if it catches my eye I watch, no matter the network.Sometimes those old DIE HARD movies just need to be watched ! Plus I watch all the RIFLEMANS on sat morning :D so I would need LOTS of credits to pay for that. Between BREAKING BAD, HELL ON WHEELS AND WALKING DEAD, and those RIFLEMAN's I'll be spending a ton of money (and the occasional BRIDEZILLA, geez I hate to admit that) For the people who watch just for the big shows, I think what DISH did is a wonderful solution, and it seems to have saved them quite a few customers. So yes I'll be switching to the other guys, but am not leaving with such a bitter taste. As a few of us have said, it's business and not personal. :p

We've seen a history of poorly negotiated contracts that cannot be sustained.

?? There are many here who agree with not paying the NY RSN's. Agree with not paying twice for Disney channels. Even more who agree about money to the locals, which other carriers also seem to agree with. Those are not poorly negotiated, but reasonably thought out. Dish directly said so about the RSN's - not enough people in the NY DMA to warrant paying what they ask. Dish is doing very well and more than sustaining. They are building in other areas as well, and when a company makes investments that's a good sign. You are the person who would be screaming if Dish raised rates today to what others are charging right now saying they can't sustain increases like that.

I just signed up with Directv last night. They will be installing here on Saturday morning. I will be getting all of the same channels including my beloved AMC. It looks like I will also be saving about $45 a month at least for the first year of the contract. I will also have a HD DVR that can record up to 5 shows when my current Dish one only does 2.

I watch way too many shows and movies on AMC, and I want to watch them LIVE, not in the next couple of days after it airs. I will be calling Dish on Saturday after the install and cancelling with them. A small credit and free refurbished roku player where I still cant watch live shows does not help.

I just signed up with Directv last night. They will be installing here on Saturday morning. I will be getting all of the same channels including my beloved AMC. It looks like I will also be saving about $45 a month at least for the first year of the contract. I will also have a HD DVR that can record up to 5 shows when my current Dish one only does 2.

I watch way too many shows and movies on AMC, and I want to watch them LIVE, not in the next couple of days after it airs. I will be calling Dish on Saturday after the install and cancelling with them. A small credit and free refurbished roku player where I still cant watch live shows does not help.

Not to mention the biggest benefit to you switching....NO MORE HD-LITE! Now you get a better HD picture quality than you ever had with DISH.

I also don't think the clause in their contract saying they can drop anything would stand up in court. There should be reasonable limits to what they can drop and how dropped channels are replaced. They've far passed those limits and failed to offer in kind replacements.

I think they do have every right to have that clause and have to if you want free stuff. Don't want discounts or some free equipment, don't sign the contract and you can just drop the service anytime you want. That doesn't mean I don't agree - there has to be some limit, but I think you are wrong that Dish is anywhere near that. There is no guarantee a channel will even exist during a contract and you just can't force a carrier to carry a channel. And Dish has added not only channels but HD over the last couple of years, so if one channel that is somewhat watched, and two that aren't even on the ratings charts are dropped, that is not even remotely over the edge. I have posted before, however for instance with RSN's I do think Dish should let you out of your contract after a period of time when it appears they are not coming back, so again I don't totally disagree. But that's because there is no other way to get the RSN other than get a package with a carrier, AMC is available in many ways.

As for dropping channels - Most every carrier does so. Fumation, Bridges, History 2 and ID have been dropped by Fios, and those are just the ones I know of. Charter here had dropped SNY for quite a long time, only recently added it back, and again probably more I don't know about.

If AMC is one of your watched channels and you feel strongly enough, of course you should get another carrier if what Dish is offering to offset it isn't enough. I am more convinced than ever that number is woefully low that will actually switch.

Last edited:
?? There are many here who agree with not paying the NY RSN's.
Sure there are! HAHA! It makes sense to be lacking these channels the in the largest market (by far) in the US. :rolleyes:

Agree with not paying twice for Disney channels.
You mean the part where Dish tried to lay claim to channels that didn't exist when their contract was signed and lost their argument in court? Haha. You are too funny.

Dish is doing very well and more than sustaining.
Sustaining what exactly? A second rate service that lags far behind their rival in customers, recognition, and revenue?

Excuses, excuses. DirecTV should should buy Dish out and show them how it is done.

Yes...conversation is getting interesting
If it isn't Dish's actions making things lively around here (it is), it's people's reactions (on both ends of the spectrum) to Dish's actions that make this place even livelier.

If it isn't Dish's actions making things lively around here (it is), it's people's reactions (on both ends of the spectrum) to Dish's actions that make this place even livelier.

You might call it lively. But when lively turns ugly, it means time to move on. (no personal reference, just in general).

I think they do have every right to have that clause and have to if you want free stuff. Don't want discounts or some free equipment, don't sign the contract and you can just drop the service anytime you want. That doesn't mean I don't agree - there has to be some limit, but I think you are wrong that Dish is anywhere near that...
I don't want any free stuff. I don't want credits or Roku's. I want the lineup I signed up for. Including AMC, Disney and a few sports channels, we're close to 10 dropped channels now. That's unreasonable IMO. Per the contract, they could drop every channel, and you'd have no recourse. Not that they would actually do that, but they could, which is why I think that clause is too broad and vague to hold up in court. I understand they should have some leeway in adding/removing some channels, but I really think Dish has pushed the envelope much more than other providers.

In any case, I've already switch providers and encourage other AMC fans to do so as well, if only to send Dish the message that enough is enough.

I don't want any free stuff. I don't want credits or Roku's. I want the lineup I signed up for. Including AMC, Disney and a few sports channels, we're close to 10 dropped channels now. That's unreasonable IMO. Per the contract, they could drop every channel, and you'd have no recourse. Not that they would actually do that, but they could, which is why I think that clause is too broad and vague to hold up in court. I understand they should have some leeway in adding/removing some channels, but I really think Dish has pushed the envelope much more than other providers.

In any case, I've already switch providers and encourage other AMC fans to do so as well, if only to send Dish the message that enough is enough.

Actually...you've lost 11 now. Dish Network is more interested in funding lawyers than negotiating on deals.

If only dish would ALLOW you to have the welcome of family pack with ALL available HD channels, and also be able to ADD the multisport pack or BB, they would probably have quite a few more customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)