If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

If Dish drops AMC, will you drop dish??

• Yes - Definitely!!!

Votes: 104 21.5%
  • No - Will use another source for content / downgrade package.

Votes: 322 66.7%
  • Maybe - just not sure

Votes: 57 11.8%

• Total voters
Funny thing, it is going the way dish is thinking. Most won't really care, lol.

I know this isn't a scientific poll and probably won't scale up correctly to their total customer base but currently 16% of people are saying they would switch and that's not including people like me who would only stay because of the contract. If 16% of their total customers actually felt this way that would be a huge loss for dish. The people that would leave don't need to win a majority vote here, they just need to be a big enough portion to hurt Dish. 16% would definitely be a big enough portion if these numbers actually represent the total population.

I know this isn't a scientific poll and probably won't scale up correctly to their total customer base but currently 16% of people are saying they would switch and that's not including people like me who would only stay because of the contract. If 16% of their total customers actually felt this way that would be a huge loss for dish. The people that would leave don't need to win a majority vote here, they just need to be a big enough portion to hurt Dish. 16% would definitely be a big enough portion if these numbers actually represent the total population.
Does anyone know how many are D* customers. :eek:

AMC channels don't air the playoff games, nor CSI, nor any mass appealing programming in great quantity, nor is it History or even H2. AMC did manage a few critically acclaimed series (they have a ways to go to have a large stable of shows like some other channels), but even my brother who does watch one of those AMC shows said he really doesn't care if he ever gets AMC channels again as he dosn't even watch the other AMC channels much.

Again, I predict that after a few days of the AMC drop, AMC and Dish announce a court settlement, although I think Dish will probably pay a higher rate for the channels than otherwise in exchange for AMC settling, and provide AMC channels in HD and possiby add other AMC channels, if there are other channels AMC owns (maybe even a few louse million in cash, as well). All worth having this embarrassing suit just go away. Just my IMHO. Dish really does hold more leverage here.

Last edited:
And they don't!

I acknowledged that. I don't really think 2,240,000(16%) people would leave dish over this but even 5% would be about 700,000 and 2% would be about 280,000 customers. Sure they would survive if they lost somewhere around 1% or 2% of customers over AMC but it would be enough that their stockholders wouldn't be happy.

I've watched all my beloved RSN's dissappear from Dish, the loss of AMC won't phase me. So to answer your question, NO.

Yes, and my entire family of Dish subscribers have come to know the "Dish way of doing things" very well and more than accept the channel drops, but even SUPPORT it. They have priced the competition and Dish is easily less expensive and they like Dish DVR's specifically, especially Home Distribution they use everyday feeding the bedroom TV and the 2nd TV technology that they use on occasion for flexibility (yes analog, but that is all they want for TV2 now, but they WILL upgrade to Hopper; I've told them to wait until more of the bugs are worked out) and they would rather have channels drop than pay more money.

Now, if the channel were ESPN, as one example that would be a different story, but I think every MVPD has accepted that ESPN is an absolute MUST HAVE and swallow and pay, although ESPN does have some legitimate expenses to off set along with its very high in demand and exclusive content.

AMC channels don't air the playoff games, nor CSI, nor any programming, nor is it History or even H2. AMC did manage a few critically acclaimed series (they have a ways to go to have a large stable of shows like some other channels), but even my brother who does watch one of those AMC shows said he really doesn't care if he ever gets AMC channels again as he dosn't even watch the other AMC channels much.

Again, I predict that after a few days of the AMC drop, AMC and Dish announce a court settlement, although I think Dish will probably pay a higher rate for the channels than otherwise in exchange for AMC settling, and provide AMC channels in HD and possiby add other AMC channels, if there are other channels AMC owns (maybe even a few louse million in cash, as well). All worth having this embarrassing suit just go away. Just my IMHO. Dish really does hold more leverage here.
Can't agree with all your points, but YES...Dish does have the leverage. AMC's advertisers may not walk, but will certainly want to re-negotiate their rate cards. AMC is in a lose...lose situation. And don't anybody doubt that ALL providers are rooting for Charlie on this one.

Last edited:
Can't agree with all your points, but YES...Dish does have the leverage. AMC's advertisers may not walk, but will certainly want to re-negotiate their rate cards. AMC is in a lose...lose situation.

Right. And that's why I think they will want Dish to pay the higher rate for their channels and provide them in HD, etc. before dropping the suit. Both parties have to feel they got something out of any agreement or settlement. AMC just can't cry "uncle." AMC has to feel they've gained something by letting this old suit die, and Dish has to feel that even with such compromise, they are getting off cheap in the end. That really would be a good day for both companies. Not for the lawyers, of course. The money saved on legal fees alone . . .

Well I for one like AMC and it will s*ck to lose it. I am not happy with this, I just learned about this via Facebook. :mad:

I'll stick with dish even though I'm not under contract but I won't be happy about this, at all.. :mad:

With them dropping AMC, what other option does one have to obtain AMC programs? :whistle:

Torrentz ftw, or my rapidshare acct :p

The internet providers are cracking down hard on that stuff. RR is putting up roadblocks to stop it. Not worth the trouble or risk.
I don't like Amazon because you can't keep a copy of stuff and the so called HD content is horrible. I've watched some "HD" shows on Amazon Prime such as American Pickers and it looked terrible. It was anything but HD.

I hate iTunes with every fiber of my being. There is NOTHING good about iTunes at all. I despise it deeply and it burns my b*tt that I have to use it because I have an iPhone. I only use it to make backups of my phone, I don't listen to music or watch videos on my phone and never will. If I could make backups of my iPhone with a third party app, I would gladly do so and NEVER use iTunes ever again.

And I saw that it's not just AMC that's getting dumped, it's like 6 channels in all, including WE! OMG, they are about to p*ss off a few million women!

The internet providers are cracking down hard on that stuff. RR is putting up roadblocks to stop it. Not worth the trouble or risk.
I don't like Amazon because you can't keep a copy of stuff and the so called HD content is horrible. I've watched some "HD" shows on Amazon Prime such as American Pickers and it looked terrible. It was anything but HD.

I hate iTunes with every fiber of my being. There is NOTHING good about iTunes at all. I despise it deeply and it burns my b*tt that I have to use it because I have an iPhone. I only use it to make backups of my phone, I don't listen to music or watch videos on my phone and never will. If I could make backups of my iPhone with a third party app, I would gladly do so and NEVER use iTunes ever again.

And I saw that it's not just AMC that's getting dumped, it's like 6 channels in all, including WE! OMG, they are about to p*ss off a few million women!
Calm down, Dee. It has not, and I'll bet won't happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts