If dish loses Mlb pack

Seems to me that MLB would be better served (both financially and public relations) to offer their product through as many outlets as possible. I've also read about some grumblings in Congress about this.

You would think so but MLB doesn't seem to think so. The more I think about it the more I have decided to spend nothing on MLB this year anyway. They don't care about the fans more than their profit margin so I don't care about them. We will be going to live games played by the local minor league team instead. They have a fireworks show every Friday home game and the show rivals most 4th of July shows I've seen!

Plus, MLB will be turning a blind eye toward Barry Bonds as he cheats his way into the record books this year so I finally decided - buh bye MLB! I'm sure they are crying about that. :rolleyes:

Am a huge baseball fan. Had Direc TV for years but swapped to Dish a few years ago because they offered locals. Have been a MLB extra innings subscriber for years along with XM. Will stay with Dish as a matter of priciple and will listen to the games om my XM and watch on the computer.

The more I think about it the more I have decided to spend nothing on MLB this year anyway. ...so I finally decided - buh bye MLB!
You might consider instead ... the MLS (Major League Soccer).
With the signing of international celebrity and sports superstar David Beckham, this should be the biggest year ever for soccer in the US.

The average MLS player makes in a year, what MLB players make in a week, so the game in the US is still about a lot more than money.

Tickets in your local area are affordable and MLS games are on a variety of Dish Network channels - ABC, ESPN, Fox Soccer Channel, HD-Net and the incredibly expensive "Direct Kick Package" at $69 per year. :eek:

Like basketball, soccer features continuous action - after getting into soccer, I now find NFL and MLB really slooooowwww. :sleeo

I understand what everybody's saying about MLB doing this exclusive purely for money but I just can't believe they can shut out E* and 12m plus potential customers as well as some 50-60m plus potential cable customers. I guess D* is betting they'll sign up tons of new customers that want the MLB package. Otherwise they'll really have to jack up the subscription price. I wonder what percentage of their subscription base is likely to sign up for the MLB package?

I'm thinking of purchasing the MLB TV package on the net if MLB Extra Innings isn't available on Dish this season. I have checked out the demo on the MLB site for both packages they are offering, the 400 KBPS and the 750 KBPS demos. The new premium 750 KBPS demo has the option to go "FULL SCREEN" when watching the demo, while the regular 400 KBPS demo does not seem to have this option which makes watching the tiny picture almost impossible to enjoy. Do any of you know if the regular 400 KBPS package will have the ability to watch "FULL SCREEN" for this coming season? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm thinking of purchasing the MLB TV package on the net if MLB Extra Innings isn't available on Dish this season. I have checked out the demo on the MLB site for both packages they are offering, the 400 KBPS and the 750 KBPS demos. The new premium 750 KBPS demo has the option to go "FULL SCREEN" when watching the demo, while the regular 400 KBPS demo does not seem to have this option which makes watching the tiny picture almost impossible to enjoy. Do any of you know if the regular 400 KBPS package will have the ability to watch "FULL SCREEN" for this coming season? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Of course you will be able to do full screen. Always have in the past.

If you like baseball you have to pay to watch. It is looking more and more like all baseball is going to Mlb extra innings. That will explain why Directv wants the deal so badly. I live in Kansas city and most of the time you have to watch Rsn to get the game. Use to be you could get 75 games a year from locals now maybe 30.I know what some of you are thinking. Who cares they are BAD. thats not the point.I see on a Saint Louis web site that alot of Rsn game are go to mlb extra innings.I bet you fan in New York who get the Yes channel better start asking how long tell they come after me. Alot of money for pay to view. So maybe Directv and Mlb are looking down the road.;)

You really don't have a clue, do you? You're saying that the ONLY way you'll be able to watch ANY baseball game, in the future, will be through the MLB EI package? Please stop right there. You will ALWAYS be able to see your local teams via either your local RSN or OTA. If you think that the only way you'll be able to watch baseball games, even your local team, is by having to buy the EI package, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I like to sell you, dirt cheap. ;)

Don't expect MLB:EI to be cheap on D*, they almost doubled the MLBtv online game package to $120

The price is exactly the same as its been in the past few years, $14.95 a month or $89.95 a year. The $119.95 is for a "premium" package that includes a higher streaming rate and a bunch of extra features. This is the first year they have offered this package. So you dont have to pay $120 like you say, you can still pay the same as you've always paid in the past for the same exact service.

You really don't have a clue, do you? You're saying that the ONLY way you'll be able to watch ANY baseball game, in the future, will be through the MLB EI package? Please stop right there. You will ALWAYS be able to see your local teams via either your local RSN or OTA. If you think that the only way you'll be able to watch baseball games, even your local team, is by having to buy the EI package, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I like to sell you, dirt cheap. ;)

Oh yeah? What if MLB decides to have their own CHANNELS?

More:
CNN/Money says one source "familiar with the negotiations" now believes that 'Extra Innings' will be available to all TV providers.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/dtvmlb022707.htm

fred

Oh yeah? What if MLB decides to have their own CHANNELS?

More:
CNN/Money says one source "familiar with the negotiations" now believes that 'Extra Innings' will be available to all TV providers.
http://www.tvpredictions.com/dtvmlb022707.htm

fred

Yes, and it also says an MLB official still thinks it will go through. I'll believe it when I see Dish and cable selling MLB Extra Innings for this season.

Yes, and it also says an MLB official still thinks it will go through. I'll believe it when I see Dish and cable selling MLB Extra Innings for this season.

none of us knows what will happen but there is no quote in the article saying that an MLB official still thinks it will go through. It simply says this

"I'd be surprised if the DIRECTV deal goes through," the source told the web site.

The league reportedly was enthusiastic about the DIRECTV deal in part because the satcaster promised to offer full support for its new Baseball Network in 2009, including widespread carriage. However, CNN/Money says the cable operators are now offering roughly the same deal for the new baseball channel.

Despite the recent developments, CNN/Money quotes one MLB source as saying he was not aware of any change in the plan to give DIRECTV an Extra Innings exclusive.'

There is a big difference between one MLB source saying he is not aware and an MLB official saying that he still thinks it will go through.

If the deal does NOT go thru will the service be the same for D*,E*, and cable? Will they all have the same amount of HD games available?

No one can really answer that till the details are announced. But the stories cited say D* will have some package (60 games or so) exclusively.

No one can really answer that till the details are announced. But the stories cited say D* will have some package (60 games or so) exclusively.
And of course if this happens Dish MLB EI subs will get a discount for those missing games. :p

'm not sure of this issue with MLB, and I don't know what the rules are on exclusive deals, but woulsn't it be better for MLB to have both Dish & DTV meaning more money for MLB?

'm not sure of this issue with MLB, and I don't know what the rules are on exclusive deals, but woulsn't it be better for MLB to have both Dish & DTV meaning more money for MLB?

Allegedly DTV is offering assistance and carriage for an MLB channel. That not revenue is said to be driver.

Dish Free Preview Question

Will Missed Program Show Again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)