If I get a signal strength of 60 with a dish 300.....

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Hi,
If I get a signal strength of 60 on 61.5 with a dish 300 what strength could I expect if I were to swap the dish out with a Winegard 30" dish? Curious if its worth the effort/expense. Hoping to minimize rain fade as much as possible.
Thanks,
Joe

60's enuff

Hi,
If I get a signal strength of 60 on 61.5 with a dish 300 what strength could I expect if I were to swap the dish out with a Winegard 30" dish? Curious if its worth the effort/expense. Hoping to minimize rain fade as much as possible.
Thanks,
Joe

You don't need anymore than 60. You would get a bit more signal and maybe a little less problem with rain fade but not sure if it is worth the $$ or effort to get the larger dish.

I thought I read somewhere that someone got 80 with the Winegard. Sound about right? What would 110/119 get....the same?

hard to say considering the weird way the current firmwares display your signal strength. a bigger dish is always better though, for sure!

I would go with the 24" Winegard. It provides nearly the same gain as the 30" but is much more rigid. (I tried both). The 30" will want to move around a lot in the wind.

I have 2- 30" Winegard dishes that I use to get 110 + 119. I replaced a Dish 500 pro dish that received both 110+119. I had big problems with snow fade. I live in the Colorado Mountains and we get huge amounts of snow. On a clear day, the signal strenght on my 510DVR went from the low 30's to over 75 with the Winegard's. My snow fade problem problem went from once or twice a week to once or twice a winter. I really didn't like climbing up on the roof to clear snow in the middle of a storm.
By the way, we get incredible winds here in the Winter. I've seeen winds over 60 and 35-45 is not uncommon. I was concerned that the big 30" dishes would be affected. I was wrong. The wind doesn't seem to affect the signal quality. I went up on the roof during an especially strong wind storm, and the dishes do dance side to side, but not enough to affect signal quality or the picture. I have noticed a slight pixelation during a strong gust.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts