If i have a PVR without DVR fees, can I sell it to someone else?

Major-V

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2005
I own a grandfathered PVR-FEE Free receiver which I want to sell.

Can I sell it and will the new owner be able to activate? Or will the Tivo Inj. prevent that?

I own a grandfathered PVR-FEE Free receiver which I want to sell.

Can I sell it and will the new owner be able to activate? Or will the Tivo Inj. prevent that?

Which one? 501/508, no problem (so far). Dishplayer is a big problem.

To my knowledge, there is no such beastie as a "grandfathered" fee free DVR. It has either always been fee free or it hasn't. The DVR fee free models would be the 501, 508 and 721.

If you own the DVR and it doesn't have a balance on it, you can do with it as you please.

how about 721? Are all "in the field" 721s barred from reactivation on another account?

Wasn't sure what the status on 721 was. It all depends on where dish placed it in their response to the court. I'm too lazy to research it today. Sorry.

To my knowledge, there is no such beastie as a "grandfathered" fee free DVR. It has either always been fee free or it hasn't. The DVR fee free models would be the 501, 508 and 721.

If you own the DVR and it doesn't have a balance on it, you can do with it as you please.

And that Tivo Inj. doesn't affect reactivating on another account?

I believe that is incorrect. Here is the relevant E* memo:

echostar press release said:
April 18, 2008
Re: CLARIFICATION TO NOTICE OF AMENDED FINAL JUDGMENT AND
PERMANENT INJUNCTION
This is a clarification of the "Notice of Tivo Injunction" that was sent this morning. DVR models 501, 508, 510, 522, 625, 622, Homezone 622, and 722, have all received the redesigned software and can continue to be sold, installed and activated. With respect to those models, no further action is necessary on your part at this time. However, the 721, 921, 942 and Homezone 1022 models did not receive the redesigned software. Because the injunction goes into effect today, any existing inventory of those models that has not yet been installed or activated for a customer cannot be installed or activated in the field. 721, 921, 942 and Homezone 1022 models that are already installed and activated are not subject to the injunction and can continue to be used by customers

This says the 721, 921 and 942 cannot be re-activated. Or does it say that DISH can't activate new ones? This was a letter to installers, so I would call DISH to get a ruling before you sell.

I believe that is incorrect. Here is the relevant E* memo:

This says the 721, 921 and 942 cannot be re-activated. Or does it say that DISH can't activate new ones? This was a letter to installers, so I would call DISH to get a ruling before you sell.

i think that isn't being enforced yet. it's still a good idea to confirm this with dish like our fellow member said.

i think that isn't being enforced yet. it's still a good idea to confirm this with dish like our fellow member said.

I did, but guess what? They said I could. --- however,that doesn't really mean jack.

Not knocking them per se, but you can call them and get one of their people to tell you just about anything you want to hear.

I take everything they say with a big tablespoon of salt. :hungry:

I did, but guess what? They said I could. --- however,that doesn't really mean jack.

Not knocking them per se, but you can call them and get one of their people to tell you just about anything you want to hear.

I take everything they say with a big tablespoon of salt. :hungry:

you'll be ok. i sold one on ebay for $50 with no hassle. take a look and see what they're being sold for so you have an idea. good luck. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)