If I have an Eastern Arc do I need 118 for internationals ? (i.e maybe in the future)

m3repair

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 15, 2011
Niagra Falls
I can't confirm where I read or heard about this but I am certain someone here can clear this up, If I converted to a Eastern Arc and had HD and International Channels would that mean a separate 118 dish would be needed(now or in the future) or is dish keeping there international channels on 61.5 (or somewhere on the arc itself) and thus keeping both arcs with the same channels

yes all Internationals are being migrated to 118.7 so if you are on Eastern Arc you need a separate dish for 118.7

So just to confirm if I had 61.5 + 72.7 + 77 (Eastern Arc) This still means that I need seperate Dish 500+ with 118/119 combo LNB is still needed for my internationals even though they are on 61.5 (FOR NOW...? moving ONLY to 118?)

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having two arcs ? I thought it was my understanding that dish wanted to keep things separate and just have the two types of dishes (by the way 2 large dishes on the roof don't float to well) maybe people with internationals will be put back to western arc instead of eastern arc, this is so odd of dish network but sometimes you can't explain it you just got deal with it

Doesn't this defeat the purpose of having two arcs ? I thought it was my understanding that dish wanted to keep things separate and just have the two types of dishes (by the way 2 large dishes on the roof don't float to well) maybe people with internationals will be put back to western arc instead of eastern arc, this is so odd of dish network but sometimes you can't explain it you just got deal with it

Your theory is wrong. The International Sat is not part of any Arc. The Western Arc is 119/110/129. Eastern Arc is 61.5/72/77. In Either case, to get the Internationals you need to get the 118 Sat, Usually as a wing. (For some people only the 118 sat may be needed)

Your theory is wrong. The International Sat is not part of any Arc. The Western Arc is 119/110/129. Eastern Arc is 61.5/72/77. In Either case, to get the Internationals you need to get the 118 Sat, Usually as a wing. (For some people only the 118 sat may be needed)

Now I gotcha!, so in reality the actual two arcs are 110/119/129 (Western) and 61.5/72.7/77 (Eastern) So whats been actually done is dish is as for as national content is concerned SD/HD channels they are both visible, but the people who are watching internationals which is a small group will need 118, one thing maybe someone can confirm is, lets say someone orders HD/SD channels will they get a dish with 110/118/119/129 or will they get a 1000.2 dish with 110/119/129 ? curious to know if parts are being used that shouldn't be ?

If your locals are on the Western Arc and you can get a Western Arc setup with internationals and HD, then Dish would install a 1000+ which would get 110/118/119/129. If you don't want HD but still want internationals and you're on the western arc, then Dish would install a 500+ which gets 110/118/119. Eastern Arc subs who want internationals (doesn't matter if they have HD or not) would need two dishes; without internationals, then it's just one 1000.4 installed.

If your locals are on the Western Arc and you can get a Western Arc setup with internationals and HD, then Dish would install a 1000+ which would get 110/118/119/129. If you don't want HD but still want internationals and you're on the western arc, then Dish would install a 500+ which gets 110/118/119. Eastern Arc subs who want internationals (doesn't matter if they have HD or not) would need two dishes; without internationals, then it's just one 1000.4 installed.

Thanks everyone for the clarification, so in this case all be sticking with the western arc as it seems to be the easiest at this point and takes up less space! :) All the info is much appreciated!

yes all Internationals are being migrated to 118.7 so if you are on Eastern Arc you need a separate dish for 118.7

For the love of it all, I wish Dish would come out with a DP dual/single LNB for the 118.7 for the Dish 500. Makes no sense on Eastern Arc systems to have to install that huge 500+ dish with it's huge LNB just to get that one satellite.

Last edited:
Actually the dish size does make sense. The FSS satellite at 118.7 is much weaker than the rest, and this requires a larger dish to "see" it at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts