Status
Please reply by conversation.

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Go easy on the DirecTV newb please. Except on a few occasions, I've been happy with Dish and never really considered DirecTV before...and have no plans to drop Dish now either. That said, and I know many of you will laugh, but I'm a NASCAR nut, and the FOX announcement of 4K programming including NASCAR has me at least exploring the possibility of adding DirecTV to my setup. Seeing it can be done now w/o having to have the top programming package is also a plus. Not sure if any of this is possible, so I'll just fire away in case anyone out there is bored and wants to play along! :D

If I read everything correctly, I'd need a Genie and a C61K in order to receive the 4K channels, correct? I see these available on ebay and such, so is it like Dish that you can purchase equipment and activate as desired w/o having a contract? Ideally, I'd probably only do this during the FOX portion of the NASCAR season if I could get away with that somehow.

I'd need a DirecTV Dish and whatever switches installed, so not sure how I'd get around that w/o a contract. I'm good with receivers, but installing the Dish would be getting ahead of my capabilities.

In a world of MoCA...can a Genie/C61K and a Hopper 3 w/ Joeys co-exist across the same home network w/o killing each other? I understand their Coax connections would be separate, but I mean from the ethernet/wireless network perspective.

Lastly, with the receivers listed above, and minimum programming to get the 4K channels, approx how much would I be looking at per month, $$$-wise, including equipment fees?

Thanks!

Presently you need an HR54 and a C61k mini, or an rvu capable television. Regardless of how you get them, you will incur a contract of two years. I don't know, but I doubt, they can share coax lines. Directv just lowered the programming tier necessary to get 4K programming to Select, so do the math.

So, they force you into a contract for any service, even if you bring your own equipment?
Yes, besides it won't be your equipment. Virtually all purchases are really leases like Jimbo said.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)