If the NFL were like college football...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I had an amazing moment of thought today about the NFL vs college football.

I found a good way to rationalize how stupid the BCS system is and that a college football playoff is needed. See:

If the NFL were like college football, the NFL would automatically make the Super Bowl the New Orleans Saints v. the Indianapolis Colts.

Other teams given a post-season game to congratulate them for a fine season and to put one more game worth of revenue in the owner's pocket:

Cowboys against Patriots
Ravens against the Ravens
Vikings against the Chargers
Cardinals against the Bengals
Packers against the Jets

---

I also had more thought how the playoff format in college football should go.

Rank the top 6 teams in the "BCS" conferences and pick 2 teams at large from the non "BCS" conferences. That way, 25% of the pool comes outside the BCS and should avoid any anti-trust issues.

Bracket them up - the quarterfinals will be played as the Rose, Fiesta, Orange and Sugar bowls. Two of those sites will alternate each year to hold the semifinals.

The finals will be held at a stadium with 50,000+ capacity and appropriate lodging to handle the visitors appropriate of a national college football title game.

Week one of playoffs is christmas week, week two is new years week, and the final is the week after new years. That should allow the college kids to avoid missing a lot of classes as most colleges should be on winter break over the holidays.

Another "use the bowls as playoffs" idea. Already shown 100s of times that you can have bowls or playoffs. Not both.

Enjoy those "rest your starters" meaningless games do you.

But yes, using the NFL as an analogy shows where the people that want college playoffs are coming from. NFL fans who do not understand college football and want it to just be like the NFL and everything else.

Sorry, you cannot have the greatest sport on earth to be AAA football. You like the NFL. Great. Watch it, and leave us alone.

Another "use the bowls as playoffs" idea. Already shown 100s of times that you can have bowls or playoffs. Not both.

But yes, using the NFL as an analogy shows where the people that want college playoffs are coming from. NFL fans who do not understand college football and want it to just be like the NFL and everything else.

Sorry, you cannot have the greatest sport on earth to be AAA football. You like the NFL. Great. Watch it, and leave us alone.

BS! Why not?

I totally disagree that you can't have both. The playoffs (as described above) are to determine the NC. There are tons of reasons to have the other bowls (money, great experience for the players and fans, etc)

FYI

College is amateur sports. There is no need to have a playoff nor a need to have a "champion" of everyone.

We are all well aware that collegiate athletics are performed by amateurs. However, your logic doesn't really make any sense. Under that logic there would never be any type of tournament for anything other than paid athletes. That means basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, etc. tournaments for kids. Also no playoffs for high school sports? No state championships?

Some of my favorite childhood memories were playing sports in tournaments. I'm not really seeing your point here...

FYI

College is amateur sports. There is no need to have a playoff nor a need to have a "champion" of everyone.

Then what the hell are they playing for? You got conference championships, etc..., why not a national champion? I suppose you think the basketball championship is unnecessary?

Ahh, hate to burst your bubble, but it already is. I love college football, but its rise in popularity nationally is tied to the rise of the NFL. Why do you thing the NFL draft is one of the highest rated shows on ESPN.

I like that the NFL helps college football by mandating the 3 year rule. Don't act like they are not partners.

vurbano said:
FYI

Funny stuff.

There may not need to be a "champion" of everyone in the NCAA's?
The NCAA currently awards 87 national championships yearly; 44 women's, 40 men's, and three coed championships where men and women compete together (Fencing, Rifle, and Skiing). For every NCAA sanctioned sport other than Division I FBS football, the NCAA awards wooden trophies with gold, silver, and bronze plating for the first, second, and third place teams respectively; similar to the Olympics.​

So of all 88 NCAA sanctioned sports and divisions, 87 provide a "champion".

It just seems to be a quite hypocrytical stance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)