If you can only aim dish at 61.5, what can you get??

JimP

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Wetumpka, AL
I'm a previous Voom subscriber in part due to the fact that I have a clear shot at 61.5 whereas the 1XX satellites are blocked by trees that belong to a neighbor. A dish install that would avoid the trees would put it out in the side yard somewhere with a very long cable run, which I'd rather not do.

So question is, what programming is available at 61.5 from either of Dish's two satellites. I already know about 10 of the Voom originals on Rainbow 1. If would also be good to find out what Dish's plans are for the satellites parked at 61.5. Will they move them to another orbital slot or load them up with other programming where they are currently parked.

I'm interested in getting a 942 and to get my locals via OTA antenna.

Any help as to programming and hardware configuration would be appreciated.

Thanks for replying

Would a single dish with the proper hardware receive both 61.5 satellites, or would it take 2 dishes?

I'm not sure if it is the 942 or an earlier model, but does the 942 require two satellite coaxial cables to function??

Does all of Dish Network's HD programming appear on 61.5, or just some of it? Speculating if all HD will eventually wind up on 61.5.

61.5 is oonly one dish

the 942 needs 2 lines to operate

HD is split between 61.5 (the old Voom stuff) and 110 (the Dish stuff)

I've been digging around trying to find the positioning coordinates of just 110. All I can find is the Dish guide for 110 and 119. For me that would be a compass setting 227degrees and not do-able. On the outside chance that I could get 110, do you know of a good reference to find the aiming coordinates of just that satellite and not a combined 110/119 aim?

try the dish calculator on Sadoun.com. Click on echostar6 and type in your zip and it will give you elevation and azimuth for your area. Make sure you take into account the magnetic delination for your azimuth.

Got the coordinates. Thanks all.

One last question, or actually 2.

Is azimuth based on horizon being "0" or streight up being "0".

Other question has to do with any future plans of Dish with their 61.5 position. Any speculation what they're going to do with either moving it or leaving it where it is and adding more channels??

Azimuth: 221 and Angle: 45.

Azimuth: North will be at 0. The EAST will be at the 90 degrees, the SOUTH will be at 180 degrees and the WEST at 270 Degrees.

This link should help you:
http://www.metechs.com/how_to_set_up_satellite_tv.htm

As far as plans for 61.5, only Dish knows. Everyone is expecting major channel shuffling in the Fall in preparation for MPEG4 and the one dish for locals rule imposed by the FCC but only they know what's going on.

JimP said:
Is azimuth based on horizon being "0" or streight up being "0".
Azimuth has nothing to do with the horizon. Elevation is referenced to the horizon, 0 deg being level and 90 deg straight up. Azimuth is in reference to magnetic or true north. My bet is you can get 110/119 just fine :D.

RandallA
Thanks for the URL. I mean to ask about elevation, not azimuth. Based on the URL, streight up is "0" elevation. Does that sound right?
Thanks,
Jim

Actually is the other way around. The horizon should be 0 and straight up 90 degrees.

If you look at the link again, the elevation indicator on the dish is fixed so if you raise the dish to 60 degrees the tick marks will move to 60.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)