If you were buying a new receiver, what kind....?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lizzie

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
I haven't been into sat tv, since my 4dtv receiver broke. I got a new hdtv for Christmas, and now want to get connected to FTA. My big mesh dish came lose from the dish mover, and is hanging on the pole. I want to get it fixed.

What receiver should I get to get high definition fta channels? I need something easy to deal with. I am not very good at complicated technical things. I would love to see a discussion of pros and cons of the kinds of receivers you all have. I am also interested in the new channels that are coming on board this year through free*dbs.org

Also can anyone recommend a satellite technician in Nashville TN who can get my dish back together, and hook up the new receiver?

Thanks-I know you guys are the best.

Lizzie

Last edited:
There was a number of discussions on this forum about selecting a receiver. Do you know, what sats and channels you'd like to watch in particular?

lizzie there aren't many full-time HD channels right now on fta, PBS and a NASA channel that is HD during missions. Some sports feeds are in HD, but you reallly have to scan the satellites to find those. Check out the List, top of the page for an idea of what kind of channels are on the satellites. Not trying to shoot down your dreams, but if you know what is available you'll be less likely to be disappointed. The picture quality on a lot of the channels will make you think it's HD though, compared to some of the pay/cable tv services! FTA won't replace cable for most people who like that type programming, but I haven't been unhappy with my system, more tv than I can ever watch, and no contracts, hidden fees that change every month, and no phone line required!

You all are so wonderful as I knew you would be.

I guess I don't have to have a HD receiver, since there are not many channels in HD.

As for channels I like old tv shows, classic movies, family shows, and news feeds and anything educational like PBS and NASA. I'm not into sports much.

Since I'm not much of a techie, blind scan might be a good thing. I'm not sure I even understand blind scan. I assume the receiver scans for channels without you having to do it manually.

I need a receiver that is easy to use, and my budget is about $200. I would love to get the most for my money. I could buy on ebay. Also I'll have to have it installed, since my skills are minimal. Also I need to get the dish back on the mover.

If you all know of other threads that discuss best receivers, please post here.

Lizzie

Does your big dish have a c/ku feedhorn on it? Maybe you can make a picture of the dish , and post it here. Is your dish mover (actuator) broken, or did the bolt just come out of the end of the tube?? I'll send you a private message (check by the logon box on your page for PMs).

Turbosat you have a pm.

My dish does have c/ku. I assume the bolt just came out of the end of the actuator. I was moving it, and I moved it too far. I will try to get a picture of it on here in a few days. My dish looks a lot like MadMadWorld's avatar except mine is on a pole.

Lizzie

Cool, if you have ku already then you shouldn't need another small dish for ku. Have to get a means to change polarity though, if you have an older analog box connected to the feedhorn you could do it that way. Or replace the feedhorn/lnbs with a newer, c/ku lnbf (no polarity motor to power, changes H/V with current in the coax). The free to air receivers won't change polarity on the older big-dish feedhorns that have a polarity motor.

I don't have a way to change c/ku, because I don't have a receiver anymore. Are all free to air programs KU? If so, I would just need the KU feedhorn. If not, would I have to buy an older analog box. Can you still purchase older analog boxes? Is it not going to change from c to ku just by changing satellites? I am technically challenged--can you tell?

There's lots of free to air tv on c-band too, but to get both polarities you need a way to change it on your big dish lnb, unless it already has a c/ku lnbf. On the older boxes, changing from an odd to even numbered channel was what changed the polarity, as long as that little motor on the top of your feedhorn worked, you didn't notice it. Best to take a picture of your lnb on your dish and post it for us to see. It may be under a big plastic cover though but that's easy to remove if you aren't scared of a ladder. Analog receivers can still be found, on ebay and places like craigslist, usually for little money.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)