If you were commissioner of any sport what would you change?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
I know Im stretching as far as topics go but I hope this is an interesting topic. If you were commissioner of the NFL, NHL, NBA,MLB or NCAA College Football or Basketball, what would you change if anything? This could be anything from scheduling, to playoffs, anything.

I would eliminate interleague play, return to a more balanced schedule (where every team in each division plays the exact same number of games against all other teams, eliminate the WC, shorten the season so the WS ends at the beginning of October, promote more day games, prevent networks from making exclusive broadcasting blackout windows that prevent other networks from showing games at the same time, eliminate the DH so baseball doesn't violate its own rules, fold teams that are not supported by their local city, and create true revenue sharing. Much of this can only be done by weakening the Union, which would also be a good thing. Doing some of this will also decrease revenue generated by MLB, which can be both good and bad.

I'd probably move the NBA Finals from 9 whatever they start to 8 pm tip time, maybe even 7:30 pm. I dont think a game that ends at 11:40 ish at night is going to get great ratings just because what if the game goes into OT? Also, people have to go to work in the am.

No more free agency. And a salary cap/floor for MLB. (similar to the NFL)

Players that come through your draft or minor league system stay with the franchise for life. Unless that organization terminates the player, they can never end up with another team.

Get rid of Pay TV (sports) networks and put baseball back on free (broadcast) TV where it belongs!! And then move the Yankee's back to channel 11 and the Mets back to channel 9!!

I'd work with commissioners of other sports to initiate an umbrella of programs to develop standards for safety, among other things like drug testing, and post-career benefits in addition to that which may be provided specifically from each support. Not sure how legal that would be, so would probably have to have government oversight or involvement. These programs would include medical research with results available to each of the participating leagues (and even widely available where appropriate) and oversee things like the NFL rookie symposium and life coach-like services for active players and alumni.

Essentially bring some added integrity to various processes that different leagues have in place, and ensure the sharing of beneficial medical studies related to all sports and able to make independent recommendations for rule changes to uphold the commitment this program has.

Baseball:

• Price no ticket above $20 so kids can attend games. The idea of paying Broadway show prices for each of 81 games is obscene.
  • Restore scheduled Sunday doubleheaders and eliminate the day-night separate admissions ripoff.
  • Start the season in mid-April and end the World Series before Halloween.
  • Require every team to wear socks with stirrups, and eliminate the slovenly pajama-pants look.
  • Realign the leagues into a Premier League, with a given salary level, and a Major League, with a salary level below the Premier League. The champions of each league play against each other in the World Series.
  • Institute relegation/promotion among the Premier League, the Major League, and all organized baseball, similar to soccer everywhere in the world.

Baseball:

• Price no ticket above $20 so kids can attend games. The idea of paying Broadway show prices for each of 81 games is obscene.
  • Restore scheduled Sunday doubleheaders and eliminate the day-night separate admissions ripoff.
  • Start the season in mid-April and end the World Series before Halloween.

I really don't think this happens very often, usually IF you have a separate admission, it's because they are playing the game as a make up game for a Rainout or Snow out.

There may be a few, but not many.

If MLB removed the DH from the AL, I would never watch another game again. I can't stand NL baseball, it is a cure for insomnia. The DH is the one of the best things to ever happen to baseball, and it had made the AL vastly superior to the NL.

Of course some people would like us to go back to wool uniforms and 3 fingered gloves. :smh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys

As Baseball commissioner. 148 games, season starts on May 1st. NO DH and NO inter-league games. 30 man rosters. A 7 games World Series done by mid-October. Friday, Saturday and Sunday are ALL day games. And most importantly, I work for THE GAME and THE FANS...NOT the owners.

As the Commish of the NHL, all the U.S. based teams and especially the southern teams that are struggling, would be relocated to the northern border communities like Seattle, Portland, Milwaukee, and/or Canadian Cities like Quebec City, Hamilton, and a second team for the Metro Toronto area. Ideally the NHL would be made up of 10 Canadian Teams and 20 U.S. Teams; with a Southern Division made up of Tampa, Nashville, Carolina, Dallas, and Washington.

If MLB removed the DH from the AL, I would never watch another game again. I can't stand NL baseball, it is a cure for insomnia. The DH is the one of the best things to ever happen to baseball, and it had made the AL vastly superior to the NL.

Of course some people would like us to go back to wool uniforms and 3 fingered gloves. :smh

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SatelliteGuys
Vastly Superior? How do you measure Vastly Superior?

Since the introduction of the DH in 1973 the AL has won 21 WS and the NL has won 16. Five of those 21 were the Yanks and they are in a league of their own as they have dominated the WS before and after the DH. Take them out and both have won 16 since the DH

Prior to the DH the AL won 41 WS (22 by the Yanks alone) and the NL won 28. Take the Yanks out and it is 19 to 28. Not much has changed since the DH introduction so the DH has had little affect on changing the superiority of one league over the other when it comes to WS championships.

Dominance by attendance? Last year the NL averaged 31,437 people per game (home and away) and the AL averaged 28,863 per game (home and away). The snoozer fest is attracting more people to their games. Take the Yanks out (the only team to average over 40,000 per game) and the difference is even greater. The bottom 5 teams were all AL teams. 6 of the 10 top attendance teams were NL teams.

Runs and pitching comparison. Last year the NL scored more runs on average than the AL, but since the DH and before the AL has on the average scored slightly more, meaning the DH has had little affect with the AL average about 0.2 more runs per game. 2 tenths of a run is not very noticeable, let alone dominating. Replacing the worst hitter on the team with the best hitter in many cases only gives a team about 1/4 of a run more per game.

Since the introduction of the DH in 1973 the AL has won 21 WS and the NL has won 16. Five of those 21 were the Yanks and they are in a league of their own as they have dominated the WS before and after the DH. Take them out and both have won 16 since the DH

Prior to the DH the AL won 41 WS (22 by the Yanks alone) and the NL won 28. Take the Yanks out and it is 19 to 28. Not much has changed since the DH introduction so the DH has had little affect on changing the superiority of one league over the other when it comes to WS championships.

Dominance by attendance? Last year the NL averaged 31,437 people per game (home and away) and the AL averaged 28,863 per game (home and away). The snoozer fest is attracting more people to their games. Take the Yanks out (the only team to average over 40,000 per game) and the difference is even greater. The bottom 5 teams were all AL teams. 6 of the 10 top attendance teams were NL teams.

Runs and pitching comparison. Last year the NL scored more runs on average than the AL, but since the DH and before the AL has on the average scored slightly more, meaning the DH has had little affect with the AL average about 0.2 more runs per game. 2 tenths of a run is not very noticeable, let alone dominating. Replacing the worst hitter on the team with the best hitter in many cases only gives a team about 1/4 of a run more per game.

I'll use the good ole eye test. AL baseball is more appealing to me. Right now the AL has superior talent to the NL.

I don't care how many WS the NL has won, yeah the Giants won the WS last year, they wouldn't have sniffed the post season had they had to play in an AL division. Any team can win 4 out of 7 but they can't hang for 162 without talent.

Last night on ESPN the Cardinals were on, stadium was half empty, but I know St. Louis is "baseball town"

Hart5150 said:
I'll use the good ole eye test. AL baseball is more appealing to me. Right now the AL has superior talent to the NL.

I don't care how many WS the NL has won, yeah the Giants won the WS last year, they wouldn't have sniffed the post season had they had to play in an AL division. Any team can win 4 out of 7 but they can't hang for 162 without talent.

Last night on ESPN the Cardinals were on, stadium was half empty, but I know St. Louis is "baseball town"

Dude....just say you don't like the NL. AL baseball is probably all you know....especially if you have lived in Boston/Mass area all your life.

DodgerKing said:

Good points. But it will not matter to someone exposed to AL baseball all their lives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)