If you were in charge, how would handle sports on tv?

Mets82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
conn.
Some people, including yours truly, talks about some of the annoying things that are shown on tv. Ex. Monday Night Football with all the guests in the booth, Constantly promoting all there ABC shows. Another example would be all the graphics you are nailed with on tv now.
My question is, if you were in charge of ESPN or Fox or any other network, how would you change it? What would you do?

That's a good point, Bill. I could see CBS with the BCS. They have a nice tie in. The BCS on CBS. I don't like the BCS. I think they should end the games on Jan. 1.
When you have stand alone games like they have now with games on Jan. 2 and Jan. 3 and the BCS title game, there's a chance that the games are going to be blowouts. Who wants to watch a one-sided game and why would a network pay for it. Remember Ohio St. vs. LSU. Big game, huge hype and what happened. A huge blowout. Now if your FOX, you have egg on your face because you shell out all this dough and that's what you get? That's quite a risk.

Remember Ohio St. vs. LSU. Big game, huge hype and what happened. A huge blowout. Now if your FOX, you have egg on your face because you shell out all this dough and that's what you get? That's quite a risk.

I agree, but that Boise St.-Oklahoma classic a couple of years ago more than evened it out (IMO, that was one of the best games I've EVER seen in ANY sport).

Remember Ohio St. vs. LSU? Big game, huge hype and what happened. A huge blowout.

You think THAT was embarassing?

That was NOTHING compared to when CBS got the rights to the Fiesta Bowl in 1996, and had #1 Nebraska vs. #2 Florida?

It had the hype of the 2006 Rose Bowl- it turned out to be a disaster.

Some people, including yours truly, talks about some of the annoying things that are shown on tv. Ex. Monday Night Football with all the guests in the booth, Constantly promoting all there ABC shows. Another example would be all the graphics you are nailed with on tv now.
My question is, if you were in charge of ESPN or Fox or any other network, how would you change it? What would you do?

Not to mention all those assinine sound effects that come with them. Drives me nuts.

I would like to know if it will ever change. Monday Night Football changed their graphics but that's it. You have CBS and FOX with their score ticker where 15 yrs. they used to have something called the "10 Minute Ticker" where they would give you scores every 10 mins.
Just watch a game now compared to 15-20 yrs. ago. It's like night and day. I think sometimes the executives or the people in charge say "Well, we are trying to help the viewer with the graphics etc." I could go either way on it.

1. More live sporting events
1a. Fewer ancillary programming involving a bunch of blowhards who don't know anything more than joe on the street simply yelling their opinions
2. Highlight shows that show highlights.
3. Fewer stupid graphics and sound effects
4. No sideline reporters
5. No mic's on players or coaches. They should be focused on, y'know, playing the game not given some interview at an inappropriate time.
6. Fewer sports on Fox
7. Play by play that actually describes what is going on. Color commentary that actually explains things that are going on in the game. No lame personal interest stories.

Here is MY 2-cents:

1) MORE MLB games in the afternoon like they use to do.
2) ALL away games and no more than half of the home games for ALL of the major sports be played on LOCAL stations and NOT CABLE STATIONS.
3) MOST MLB playoff games in the AFTERNOON.
4) ALL night games in their respected times for the home team, tip-off, kick-off, 1st-pitch and puck dropped no later than 7pm.
5) ALL bowl games and ALL games March Madness games on LOCAL channels.
6) NO MORE NFL home teams having exclusivity of the kick-off time they are scheduled.....in other words BOTH CBS and FOX broadcast double headers EVERY Sunday.

I have some ideas...

1) Put the NFL Sunday Ticket on digital cable. If the other leagues and college football and basketball can have pay-per-view packages concurrently on both cable and satellite, why can't the NFL?

2) Get rid of (or refine) the NFL's blackout policy. If you must keep the blackout rule, at least make it to where if a certain percentage of the home stadium isn't sold out (let's say 75%), then you can blackout the game, but at least air a replacement game in the same slot. However, I like Salsadancer's idea...doubleheaders every Sunday on CBS and Fox.

3) EVERY televised game should be available on MLB Extra Innings...that includes all Fox Saturday regional games and over-the-air broadcasts (although it's changed somewhat lately). You can even extend it to the in-stadium broadcasts that aren't televised locally.

4) Ditto for the in-house broadcasts for NBA and NHL games not shown locally either.

Baseball: Fire Tim McCarver. Produce two feeds of first two rounds of the playoffs with home announcers for each team (like the 1960s NFL) and broadcast on two channels. Eliminate weekday day games.

NFL: Eliminate current system of Sunday afternoon rights apportioned by who the away team is, and rather have NFL produce every game and let each Fox and CBS station carry what they want, with some kind of alternating system of picks, so the situation in may area (where the local CBS station often has to pick between the Bengals or Steelers both on CBS, but then Fox carries a game of no interest is eliminated). Do MNF as a "straight" broadcast with no comics, no guests, and no crap. Just a game. Fire Olberman.

College Football: Every ABC affiliate must carry the entire ABC package (my ABC often dumps it for syndicated games of little merit). Switch from blowouts.

NASCAR: Fire Weber and entire TNT crew. Have Fox crew do the games on TNT as well (this was actually discussed). Stop with the "we won't mention the sponsors" crap. If Busch passes Edwards, then say "M&Ms Toyota" and "Office Depot Ford". Move the start times back to 1 or so most Sundays.

ESPN: "Bottom line" needs to list if games on on other networks (look, its going to hurt to say "CBS" after the SEC game). Talking head shows cannot talk about the NBA in the off-season or in season out of proportion to its ratings. SportsCenter is limited to 60 minutes. No catch phrases. If you do not KNOW an NBA player or female tennis player by her first name, then do not call them by their first name.

I would like to know if it will ever change. Monday Night Football changed their graphics but that's it. You have CBS and FOX with their score ticker where 15 yrs. they used to have something called the "10 Minute Ticker" where they would give you scores every 10 mins.
Just watch a game now compared to 15-20 yrs. ago. It's like night and day. I think sometimes the executives or the people in charge say "Well, we are trying to help the viewer with the graphics etc." I could go either way on it.

I would like the ticker to be at the top and bottom of the hour, thats it.
I get annoyed trying to watch ESPN2 because they have the ticker on ALL the time, constantly.
I also cannot watch CNN because of the ticker, my eye wants to see what the ticker says and I can't watch both.

If you want constant scores, go to ESPNews

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)