If your initial setup is slightly flawed, will that mess up USALS?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

penguinsix

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 4, 2005
I put in my dish the other day and got a pretty good signal from my true south satellites, SBS-6 and AMC-5. I've grabbed a slew of channels off of T-5 and a few other satellites in between 60-100 degrees, but when I go farther than that I don't find any signal quality.

Tonight I was poking around and ended up hitting Satcom3 which I guess is a C-band satellite. When USALS was moving the dish, I noticed a quality spike just before the dish settled on the USALS position. I switched to Diseqc and moved the dish back to the East a few clicks and the signal quality eventually came through (I only got one station off the whole bird so a bit of an effort).

But it got me thinking--if I did something slight wrong, or didin't get it "just perfect" on the initial install, would that be causing errors exponentially when I got out to the farther East and West satellites? I'm wondering if I should start over and get a stronger signal from my due South satellites before looking East/West.

Could a flawed initial install cause USALS problems as described? Or it is just the trees and other obstructions preventing me from finding some of the other satellites?

Wow! Yes unless the install/Setup was as perfect as you can get it your USALS positions will be out. Some satellites I find will just not work with USALS (Fortec Liftime Ultra) and some just work better with DiSEqC 1.2

My three installs were always off by a few degrees. I could have readjusted the dish, but found it easier to just adjust the longitude setting for usals by a few degrees in the receiver set-up to compensate for any difference. My true south is 79, but my receiver's longitude is set at 82. Haven't had any problems. Finds every satellite up there, but probably loses me a bit in quality. Just my two cents.

Would it be more likely that this sort of problem is releated to elevation, since an incorrect elevation would cause more exponential problems E/W?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)