IFC

tribalcardboard

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2012
I've noticed that IFC, which is SD, has much better video resolution and stereo separation that other SD channels. What's up with that?

This is 1 reason I still keep sd tvs for secondary tuner. I definitely like the sd picture much better on standard tvs than the newer hdtvs. I will also be waiting to hear a good answer to your question.

The logical explanation would be that IFC isn't as compressed.Of course we have no way to verify that.

I'm surprised that IFC HD wasn't included as part of the Voom settlement.

I was also surprised that We TV, Sundance Channel, and Fuse were not included in HD as well.

Does anyone else find that the Encore/Starz/Plex channels look better, too?

This is 1 reason I still keep sd tvs for secondary tuner. I definitely like the sd picture much better on standard tvs than the newer hdtvs. I will also be waiting to hear a good answer to your question.

A 211 looks nice on a SD TV with component cables even if the resolution is still 480i especially for those SD only channels currently on Dish like Disney. HD channels also look good. I leave them out the favorites list because others don't know how to fix the picture aspect ratio. For example, for shows that are 4:3 on an HD channel, you can zoom in and not cut off the picture. However, unless it is usually the local news or a network show, then I have to put the in normal (which is widescreen). I use 480i and TV#2 in HD setup for component with this TV. Unfortunately, 480p did not work and briefly produced a double like image. Anyway, the picture is still impressive for a TV that is more than a decade old.

I also find that the SD channels look better when the resolution is set at 720p than 1080i on newer HD TVs. When it comes to HD channels on HD TVs, I think it depends on the TV (and possibly even the network or channel). I usually suggest trying 720p and 1080i and seeing which looks better.

Last edited:
Logo seems to have a pretty good SD picture. Of course it is apparently an HD presentation of an SD feed. They were supposed to launch HD and just never did..

Logo seems to have a pretty good SD picture. Of course it is apparently an HD presentation of an SD feed. They were supposed to launch HD and just never did..

Yes, it does. I love when the channel plays Daria. I missed the mini-marathon today. The channel also started playing Bewitched recently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts