I'll Gladly Pay You Next Tuesday For Some Help Today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
In the USA
Newbi here (sort of).

I'm new to the satellite FTA section but not Satellite Guys. I joined about 1 1/2 year ago basically to complain about a satellite Internet provider I had.

Anyway, I was at a yard sale awhile back and spotted some satellite equipment for sale. There was 3 or 4 C/KU receivers a Pansat 3500S and a Twinhan 102g PC card for sale. I knew what they were because up until 2-3 years ago I was into C/KU satellite and still have a 12' Orbitron dish with a H to H motor, Uniden UST-4500 receiver and a 922 4DTV receiver with a Videocypher RS in it. I bought the Pansat and 102g card mainly because Lion County, NV has decided they cannot afford to upgrade their TV retransmission towers to HD. Unless something changes soon, the area I live in will not have any over the air TV transmissions.

I have spent the last couple of months realigning my dish reading, reading and reading some more. I have visited many web sites just trying to find out information on the Pansat and Twinhan card. I can say this, There are of lot of sites dedicated to stealing pay TV and very few dedicated to true FTA.

I have seen many responses on this site which have chastise people for mentioning the word hacking. So I'll make it clear, I'm not here to get any information related to unauthorized access to pay TV. If I wanted to do that there plenty of sites I could go to. I didn't do that in my C/KU days and do not plan on doing it now. TV is not that important to me.

So, with all that out of the way :). I decided to set up the Twin first and do have it working somewhat. I set it up first because I have read that it will receive some HD signals. The setup is:

An older Dell P-III 1.5 GH 500 MB Ram
Twinhan 102g slaved off the 4DTV
12' Orbitron with H to H
MyTheatre v3.38.2 Trial

This setup works but uses 50% CPU on non HD signals and 93% CPU on HD signals. CPU usage is so high on HD signals that some micro freezing is occurring. I have read that MyTheatre tends to be a memory hog. But I don't know if it's MyTheatre, the old P-III or both.

I found two in the clear HD signals which are not on "The List" and from what I have read they are not to be posted in any open forum. Where do I post these or look to see if they are already posted?

Thanks

JAS

I do not know what your question is but you definitely need a better PC if you intend to view HD feeds at any quality level. You do not need to spend a lot but that pc is pretty much a doorstop nowadays or just a web surfer.

Thanks vfrjim

Thanks

That answers one of my questions. The others are, Where are new finds posted or where do I look to see if they are already posted?

Thanks

JAS

What you mean "new finds"?

I think he means the wild feeds forum...we do not discuss publicly the feeds we may or may not find here. :)

The rule is, if its not on lyngsat, don't discuss what you find. :up

Welcome BTW, sounds like you have a nice setup. :up

Last edited:
i just got a dell system from the outlet ( return / recertified / dinged)
its a Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) with 6 gigs of ram
for less that $525 shipped (with out monitor).

so you don't have to spend a bunch or get a high end pc

and :welcome to the group :)

Thanks To All

Thanks to all for the help.

Looks like I'll need a better computer. I do have a Sony Vaio which is 3 GH and plenty of memory. But my wife would have a fit if I took it for this project.

stogie5150 you cleared up what my other questions were and I than you for that.

To all who sent me PM, Thank you.

Finally, thanks for all the warm welcomes.

JAS

Update

Well, after the big fight and promising the wife I'd give her the Sony Vaio back after testing the Twinhan 102g with the faster computer (had to promise dinner, movie and dishes for a week. Women call this compromise. I call it getting the shaft :D), the setup is working very good. I have not decided if I'll purchase MyTheatre yet. I want to try some other programs first. I tried TSReader Lite but it's all Greek to me. The Twinhan VisionDTV program which came with the card works well but has no smart scan. Actually the Twinhan program worked better than MyTheatre on the older computer, the CPU usage is still high but there is no freezing.

I'm not a videophile but to me the HDTV picture is almost as good as analog C band used to be. What a step backwards Digital TV seems to have been. This is only my opinion and not necessarily fact.

I have already got the bug and looking to upgrade. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the Technotrend, Skywalker and DvbWorld PCI products. Things like ease of use, product quality, support, software upgrades and anything else I should know.

Thanks

JAS

Well, after the big fight and promising the wife I'd give her the Sony Vaio back after testing the Twinhan 102g with the faster computer (had to promise dinner, movie and dishes for a week. Women call this compromise. I call it getting the shaft :D), the setup is working very good. I have not decided if I'll purchase MyTheatre yet. I want to try some other programs first. I tried TSReader Lite but it's all Greek to me. The Twinhan VisionDTV program which came with the card works well but has no smart scan. Actually the Twinhan program worked better than MyTheatre on the older computer, the CPU usage is still high but there is no freezing.

I'm not a videophile but to me the HDTV picture is almost as good as analog C band used to be. What a step backwards Digital TV seems to have been. This is only my opinion and not necessarily fact.

I have already got the bug and looking to upgrade. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of the Technotrend, Skywalker and DvbWorld PCI products. Things like ease of use, product quality, support, software upgrades and anything else I should know.

Thanks

JAS

The Technotrend TT S2 3200 is a pretty popular card. More and more stuff seems to be moving to DVB S2. This would keep you up to date in that area. This is the only place I have seen selling it. Technotrend S2-3200 Mpeg4 DVB-S2 PCI Satellite Tuner | TT-S2-3200

As for computer, there are minimum recommendations for this particular card on that page as well.

I personally like ProgDVB Pro for viewing, but also own MyTheatre, DVB Viewer and TSReader. I rarely use MyTheatre anymore after using ProgDVB Pro, but this is my .02

Thanks. The Technotrend looks good. I'm still looking though but will put it on top of my list for now.

JAS

. . . and I don't think any of the DVB nor DVB-S2 cards on the market support Blind Scan.
If they did, we'd all abandon the current poorly supported HD STBs, and go to computers!

Thanks good to know.

Well, after the big fight and promising the wife I'd give her the Sony Vaio back after testing the Twinhan 102g with the faster computer (had to promise dinner, movie and dishes for a week. Women call this compromise. I call it getting the shaft :D), the setup is working very good.

JAS

Offer to do the wash and shrink her favorite sweater, offer to cook and trash the kitchen. Women are quick to see men as inept and kick us off the extra duty list:D

Offer to do the wash and shrink her favorite sweater, offer to cook and trash the kitchen. Women are quick to see men as inept and kick us off the extra duty list:D

You don't understand my wife. She would just make me buy her a new sweater, and extend my time in that area until I was properly trained and got it right. Sometimes it's better not to rock the boat :up.

JAS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)