I’m a DirecTV installer, here to to help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How often do LNB’s go bad? I ask as I get freezing from time to time... it’s not my aiming as my #’are in the mid 90’s and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How often do LNB’s go bad? I ask as I get freezing from time to time... it’s not my aiming as my #’are in the mid 90’s and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow,
You've been here for 12 years now and that was only your 3rd post.

Don't be a stranger .... feel free to SPEAK !

You want a horror story? Here’s a direcTV dish used for the 99/101/103 satellite, for Spanish channels you have to put up a separate dish and daisy chain the LNB’s. If they want international channels that’s a 3rd dish! Good ol Hawaii and Alaska jobs!

Attachments

• E5FDC049-B7D4-4C35-9F4A-68D4F8C1F483.jpeg
    E5FDC049-B7D4-4C35-9F4A-68D4F8C1F483.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 452
Reactions: Techiefan
You want a horror story? Here’s a direcTV dish used for the 99/101/103 satellite, for Spanish channels you have to put up a separate dish and daisy chain the LNB’s. If they want international channels that’s a 3rd dish! Good ol Hawaii and Alaska jobs!
Say, to your knowledge are the new Reverse Band capable LNBs for the AK/HI dish.

WNC's six outlet "SL3RBAH"

Being distributed yet? Haven't seen any third-party suppliers sell it yet, but curious if DIRECTV installers have it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I've been installing DirecTV for the past 14 years, if you need any help with your system feel free to ask!

Just need a little information, please................received software sometime in March/April; experiencing multiple problems with box. Since we pay for the DTV protection plan, requested a tech to replace bo:mad:es). Was told by tech (at end of April/early May) all our problems were due to the software update, explaining that AT&T software update conflicting with Directv software (Genie (HR54-700 and Mini C41-500) and that an update will be coming soon. As of this date....no changes and still experiencing same problems.....am not fully believing the explanation.......what say you.......yay or nay?????

Just need a little information, please................received software sometime in March/April; experiencing multiple problems with box. Since we pay for the DTV protection plan, requested a tech to replace bo:mad:es). Was told by tech (at end of April/early May) all our problems were due to the software update, explaining that AT&T software update conflicting with Directv software (Genie (HR54-700 and Mini C41-500) and that an update will be coming soon. As of this date....no changes and still experiencing same problems.....am not fully believing the explanation.......what say you.......yay or nay?????
Att software and Directv software ?
Are they not one in the same now ?

Update to on going saga of Genie issues........now having challenges of Series Manager "kicking out" programming that is to be recorded due to "programming update (13)". Once again called DTV.....CS Rep transferred me to Technical support. After explaining what the tech (who came out in April/May) said and refusing to replace equipment, this Technical Support Rep said that we should of been given new equipment at the original service call; and, need to upgrade our equipment to newest most state of the art HD DVR......this is a tower-type piece of equipment, access to our tv's through mini Genies! Explanation.....our original Genie is DTV technology..........this new "state of art" Genie 2 is AT&T. Yikes.........am I getting the run around or what!!!

Appointment set for next Monday.............

If you get the tower type Genie, the HS17, you can't have any other dvrs, only clients. You will be able to stream two 4k programs instead of one with the HR54. That's the only advantage I see in the HS17.

Wonder what happened to the OP Theattguy?

Thought he was here to help as long time DIRECTV/ATT Tech?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
I don’t know haven’t see or heard from here in a long time

nvsundevil: you are getting the complete runaround. there is no such thing as ATT software versus DirecTV software. It's a complete load of BS. Upgrading hardware to the HS17 won't solve the problems you are having, and most of us would not recommend it either.
Post back and explain what problems you are having and we'll try to solve them for you.

Reactions: JSheridan
nvsundevil: you are getting the complete runaround. there is no such thing as ATT software versus DirecTV software. It's a complete load of BS. Upgrading hardware to the HS17 won't solve the problems you are having, and most of us would not recommend it either.
Post back and explain what problems you are having and we'll try to solve them for you.

This all started with the new update.......had called a few times and was told software designers were aware of the problems and would receive emails indicating the progress; after the third call, due to having the Protection Plan, I basically insisted a Tech come out and replace the equipment....as I posted above, that specific tech told us (not exactly sure of the date this all started but am thinking maybe March/April), the update was from AT&T software and conflicting with our DTV software/bo:mad:!) and if boxes were replaced, we'd still experience the same problem. Think we all agree that was complete BUNK!

Was having problems with the sound going off/on during recorded programs and pixel distortions. However, the biggest issue is the Series Manager does not record specific programs as set.....have had multiple programs not recorded. The kicker was when a bicycle race shown at 2 a.m. did not record....checked the "History" and it showed "program not recorded due to programming update (13)"... this message had appeared more than once. Husband started checking and all the programs relating to this specific race were not listed in the series manager nor were they set to record. (He was not a happy camper!) This has been going on since March.

Also, on Friday, April 13, (between DTV and WiFi (Cox) it was the 13th from hell!) we had watched a recorded program early in the morning (about 6:00 a.m.) then streamed F-1 practice.....when we went back to watch regular TV could not access live TV and received message (can't remember the exact verbiage) to the effect that the cables were not correct and to avoid damage to the TV the cables needed to be changed. Spent over an hour on the phone with a DTV Tech.....was told our Genie/Minis were being phased out....the upgraded equipment was needed. The appointment was for May 7. My husband wasn't buying the explanation; so we decided to try and determine the problem by process of elimination. Our Sony was about 10 years old......we first tried a different HDMI cable from box to TV; no video/sound; then brought in a smaller Sony from another room and hooked it to the box using the same HDMI cable.....BINGO.....was able to receive programming. We went the next day, purchased a new TV, hooked it up and received programming. Thus, called to cancel new equipment appointment. With that being said, there are times when the (new) TV is first turned on that message appears, but after 30 seconds or so, disappears. Have checked HDMI cables they do seem to be fine.

(The problems with the sound have disappeared so am thinking that was on us and the TV.......I'm a little old school and of the mind that 10 years is not that old for a TV......however, given all the electronics involved nowadays....have changed my mind about that!)

The new Sony is 4K so now the dilemma............4K mini?????? Would appreciate any suggestions/comments you're able to share! The appointment is not set this Monday, but for the 18th.....would not have a problem to call them back and see what new explanations I might receive.

ALSO................

Wonder what happened to the OP Theattguy?

Thought he was here to help as long time DIRECTV/ATT Tech?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

That was the main reason I first posted..............didn't mean for it turn into an epic or soap opera!

This all started with the new update.......had called a few times and was told software designers were aware of the problems and would receive emails indicating the progress; after the third call, due to having the Protection Plan, I basically insisted a Tech come out and replace the equipment....as I posted above, that specific tech told us (not exactly sure of the date this all started but am thinking maybe March/April), the update was from AT&T software and conflicting with our DTV software/bo:mad:!) and if boxes were replaced, we'd still experience the same problem. Think we all agree that was complete BUNK!

Was having problems with the sound going off/on during recorded programs and pixel distortions. However, the biggest issue is the Series Manager does not record specific programs as set.....have had multiple programs not recorded. The kicker was when a bicycle race shown at 2 a.m. did not record....checked the "History" and it showed "program not recorded due to programming update (13)"... this message had appeared more than once. Husband started checking and all the programs relating to this specific race were not listed in the series manager nor were they set to record. (He was not a happy camper!) This has been going on since March.

Also, on Friday, April 13, (between DTV and WiFi (Cox) it was the 13th from hell!) we had watched a recorded program early in the morning (about 6:00 a.m.) then streamed F-1 practice.....when we went back to watch regular TV could not access live TV and received message (can't remember the exact verbiage) to the effect that the cables were not correct and to avoid damage to the TV the cables needed to be changed. Spent over an hour on the phone with a DTV Tech.....was told our Genie/Minis were being phased out....the upgraded equipment was needed. The appointment was for May 7. My husband wasn't buying the explanation; so we decided to try and determine the problem by process of elimination. Our Sony was about 10 years old......we first tried a different HDMI cable from box to TV; no video/sound; then brought in a smaller Sony from another room and hooked it to the box using the same HDMI cable.....BINGO.....was able to receive programming. We went the next day, purchased a new TV, hooked it up and received programming. Thus, called to cancel new equipment appointment. With that being said, there are times when the (new) TV is first turned on that message appears, but after 30 seconds or so, disappears. Have checked HDMI cables they do seem to be fine.

(The problems with the sound have disappeared so am thinking that was on us and the TV.......I'm a little old school and of the mind that 10 years is not that old for a TV......however, given all the electronics involved nowadays....have changed my mind about that!)

The new Sony is 4K so now the dilemma............4K mini?????? Would appreciate any suggestions/comments you're able to share! The appointment is not set this Monday, but for the 18th.....would not have a problem to call them back and see what new explanations I might receive.

ALSO................

That was the main reason I first posted..............didn't mean for it turn into an epic or soap opera!
Personally,
I would keep the older Genie (HR54 if thats what you have (you can check model in the settings as well as the little sticker inside the access door where the Access card is), hopefully you already have the HR54 as you need THAT or the New Genie (HS17 tower) plus a C61k to get the 4k signal.
So, get the HR54 and a C61k, the C61k has to go on the 4k TV.

How many TV's are you working with ?
IF you go with the Tower, you cannot have any other actual recvrs on other TVs, they have to be just the clients (slaves) and everything at that point works off the Tower, so, if the tower should have trouble, your out of service till replaced, where as if your using regular recvrs and one goes out, you can use another to watch TV.

Fwiw, as you expected, the software explanation you got was pulled out of someones a**.

Thanks Theattguy, here we go!

I've got a system with two receivers, both HR24s with OTA sidecars. The Living Room HR24 has the power inserter. The question is...can I switch out the BEDROOM HR24 with a Genie 2? My concern is that both boxes will be trying to send voltage back to the dish to power the switch and LNBs. FWIW, the two boxes come off a splitter and there is a line on the splitter indicating (to me, at least) that power should pass only from the living room.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)