I'm back... and have a remote question too :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NGeorge

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Olympia, WA
Hey All;

SO I'm back with D* after a one year absence. I moved to a new place with a view of the southern sky again... as much as I *loved* my Tivo Premiere on Comcast, stupid Comcast got rid of all but the primary HD feed of each movie channel not 3 days after I started service "to save bandwidth" (read: HSN and QVC HD showed up 3 days later... seriously lol).

When I got to my new place, I had to make the choice of the awesome Tivo, or all my movie channels in HD again by going back to D*... I decided on the HD movie channels (and a channel lineup I know by heart and that doesn't look like it was thrown together by a monkey! lol)... I reactivated my old owned HR22--it feels like a step down software (and speed) wise from the Premiere... but not as much of a drop as if I got a THR-22 for the sake of Tivo (and I was a huge Tivo fan... I had the first Hughes DirecTivo ever released, all the way through the HR10-250... and the Premiere is truly awesome & fast!)

So, that said, I've got a remote question... over the last year, I really, really got hooked on the Peanut remote again. I got used to the white remote from my time between the HR10-250 and the Premiere... but after having it again, I'd really like to keep it.

I've read in a number of places that the THR-22 can use the standard white D* remote, and that the THR-22 peanut sends standard D* receiver signals... If the THR-22 can use the white remote, can anyone confirm if the HR-22 non-Tivo can use the THR-22 peanut?

I'm really hoping that even if I don't have the THR-22, I can at least get a THR-22 peanut remote and use it with my non-Tivo... I know the THR-22 peanut has the color buttons--and I assume that if the white remote can control it, the codes are the same... can anyone confirm that this is the case? Or did they do some sort of product lock-in where the white remote works on the THR, but the peanut remote doesn't work for the regular HR?

Thanks!
Nat

PS--I know it's a LONG shot and that D* is probably just stringing Tivo along at this point... but I'd totally be the first in line for a Tivo Premiere or Virgin Media-like Tivo DVR on D* again... in one year they added so many new features to that thing... it's just slick... The old Tivo software compared to D*'s is truly clunky... but the last Premiere software they pushed to my box added Comcast On Demand, and a bunch of new features and tweaks... it's just SO much smoother and intuitive... If D* actually allowed Tivo to push the newest software they have to the THR-22, it really would give their homegrown software a run for the money. After experiencing the Premiere, I'm more convinced than ever that D* purposefully has screwed with the Tivo to downplay it and make it appear worse than their own software... Tivo really has stayed one step ahead of the game, but D* isn't letting them show off... and it SUCKS.

Last edited:
How many TV's do you have? If you have just one HD TV,then just go with the THR22 since you already like the TiVo software. If you have more than one HD TV though,then it is obvious that the 5-tuner Genie is the way to go. As far as using the TiVo remote for a non-TiVo DIRECTV HD receiver,not being an expert,it would seem like the TiVo peanut remote is primarily set up for TiVo functions. You'd end up having "useless" buttons that have no function with a HR22 DVR. You can only try though.

I too have had a 2 tuner TiVo Premiere(just that my cable company sucked & had very limited HD choices). It is very neat & if DTV would have made the THR22's software HD like on the Premiere AND compatable with whole home DVR,then yes,I'd have one too.

For right now I just have the one HDTV... I may add one in the bedroom later on, but for now it's just the one.

As for the THR, I'd been a D* customer for 12 years before the break, and have an owned HR22... They offered me a free DVR for coming back in, but held fast to the 199 for the THR22. I just reactivated my old box... If it comes down to it I may spring for a THR, or try to talk them into a cheaper one later.

At this point I'm not so attached to the old style Tivo as I used to be... I feel that aside from the sliding menus, remote and suggestions, the D* software will do. If they ever release a Tivo with the latest software (v21+) however, I will jump on it--the Premiere is just faster, slicker, and more intuitive... I can easily see why D* would feel threatened by it. Anyone who says Tivo hasn't 'kept up' hasn't used one of these boxes.

N

For right now I just have the one HDTV... I may add one in the bedroom later on, but for now it's just the one.

As for the THR, I'd been a D* customer for 12 years before the break, and have an owned HR22... They offered me a free DVR for coming back in, but held fast to the 199 for the THR22. I just reactivated my old box... If it comes down to it I may spring for a THR, or try to talk them into a cheaper one later.

At this point I'm not so attached to the old style Tivo as I used to be... I feel that aside from the sliding menus, remote and suggestions, the D* software will do. If they ever release a Tivo with the latest software (v21+) however, I will jump on it--the Premiere is just faster, slicker, and more intuitive... I can easily see why D* would feel threatened by it. Anyone who says Tivo hasn't 'kept up' hasn't used one of these boxes.

N
D* does not feel threatened by the Tivo, it's simply a case of them having better stuff.
Why should D* PAY someone else for a box when they keep improving thier own ...

If you look around on the site, you'll see that the TIVO that many here loved, barely gets mentioned anymore, theres a reason for that.

Personally, if I were you, I'd look into the HR44, it's the newest DVR and has a new smaller remote, which sounds like it's a priority for you.
I think if you moved up to the newer equipment, you might be surprised, they have brought out alot of different recvrs that are much faster than the HR22 your currently using starting with the HR24 and moving up from there.

If I was a new D* customer I'd go with the HR44 Genie. As it is,I'm perfectly fine with my present set up(HR22,HR23,HR24,H24,H25) under "whole home DVR."
Getting a DVR that could record on 5-tuners,versus just 2-tuners on the HR22,would be a great deal if you like to record a lot.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts