I'm calling you out Salsadancer7!!

why is it a cheap shot? it was well documented in the media that there was a former player at youngstown state, who was recruited by tressel, who allegedly took money from agents. while i don't remember the specifics, i believe it was never proven that tressel knew about it anymore than he knew about clarett!! i was merely asking jimbo for corporate knowledge!!

I think your right, but seeing it was at a smaller school, not as much was made of it.
Keep in mind, no one is saying St Tressel or I mean Jim Tressel is a saint either.

Jim has had his moments, I do not have the details of what happened at YSU, but I do remember hearing something, but not till well after Jim was at OSU.

I don't think there are too many that have never seen or heard illegal things happening.

There are plenty of other coaches out there that have been thru alot worse than Jim.

Jimbo

jimbo, please don't think i'm soley picking on him. i had read about the other situation and wanted to tap in your corporate knowledge. i'm sure plenty of other big time coaches are involved as well.

jimbo, please don't think i'm soley picking on him. i had read about the other situation and wanted to tap in your corporate knowledge. i'm sure plenty of other big time coaches are involved as well.

I understand,
I just wanted to point out that most coaches have skeletons somewhere, if you look hard enough you will find something.

Jimbo

The reason I called it a cheap shot was because you said that "nothing was proven", so why bring it up? I'm a Michigan man, but I respect Tressel and what he has accomplished, and this just sounded like mud slinging to me. My apologies if it wasn't.

I understand,
I just wanted to point out that most coaches have skeletons somewhere, if you look hard enough you will find something.

Jimbo

Good point Jimbo....:up Look, they will NEVER admit to it, but ALL schools knowingly or UNKNOWINGLY cheat. Some through the athletic department or some through the booster clubs...whatever the case....they do, now the question is, can the coaching staff control this....HELL NO!! Are they responsible ? To a certain extent, yes...because in the end, they are the ones incharge...and because we all know that in the end, the head coach will be blamed for everything....Hell, I have done it myself on a few occasions.:rolleyes: The REALLY good schools, know how to hide it/brush it under the rug/make it disappear better than others.

If I were a head coach, I don't know how I would sleep at night (I'm sure the money helps). The pressure is enormous. Keeping boosters and players in line has got to be hard. Not to mention recruiting and game planning. Most of these guys must work 18 hr. days, 365 days a yr. The NFL must be a picnic compared to college. In the end, You're right. Somebody else out of your control f's up and you are out of a job. Tough job.

If I were a head coach, I don't know how I would sleep at night (I'm sure the money helps). The pressure is enormous. Keeping boosters and players in line has got to be hard. Not to mention recruiting and game planning. Most of these guys must work 18 hr. days, 365 days a yr. The NFL must be a picnic compared to college. In the end, You're right. Somebody else out of your control f's up and you are out of a job. Tough job.

It is very hard...that is why is litterally IMPOSSIBLE to have a COMPLETELY CLEAN program. It is a little easier, from what I have been told, to accomplish this with a basketball team. But when you are talking about a football team with approx. 60 players....that's a whole different animal.

any of you guys watch ``friday night lights?'' the head coach of a high school football team even has a tough time keeping his players on the straight and narrow!!

any of you guys watch ``friday night lights?'' the head coach of a high school football team even has a tough time keeping his players on the straight and narrow!!

And there ALOT of truth to that. I am currently the assistant head baseball coach of a local varsity baseball team...and our school is constantly ranked in the top 10 in the state and top ten in the country....and you have see the unscrupulous bastards(agents and so for) that hang around our games....LOL And remember, baseball is only a 20-25 man roster....imagine a football team with a 50-some odd players...

What about the brawl between Soth Carolina and Clemson? The ONLY reason that didn't make a big of their brawl is because they are NOTHING schools....EVERYONE down here stated that those players that were involved got off easy. But everything is not as black and white as people want it to be....if it were like that....then then same can be said about Ohio State and the Maurice Clarrett situation.....Let me tell you something about ALL major universities...they all cheat/bend the rules/get away with murder in one way or another...the difference between one school and another...is some get caught...and some don't.

Funny how fighting is tolerated in hockey games, but not in other sports. Toothpaste is out of the tube again.

Yea but not labeled as THUGS or ghetto trash.:rolleyes:

The MAJOR difference here is that Hockey has ALLOWED FIGHTING since the beginning.
In reality,,fighting is way down in the last 20 years, unfortunatly. I say unfortunatly because when the use of helmets became mandatory, the game got worse because the players had more protection so the elbows come up more and some players have lost respect for thier opponents.
Also with the helmet came the excessive use of the stick getting higher and often catching one in the face, when there were No helmets you didn't have the sticks to the face very often.

Jimbo

The MAJOR difference here is that Hockey has ALLOWED FIGHTING since the beginning.
In reality,,fighting is way down in the last 20 years, unfortunatly. I say unfortunatly because when the use of helmets became mandatory, the game got worse because the players had more protection so the elbows come up more and some players have lost respect for thier opponents.
Also with the helmet came the excessive use of the stick getting higher and often catching one in the face, when there were No helmets you didn't have the sticks to the face very often.

Jimbo

I love a good hockey fight.:D

I love a good hockey fight.:D

I perfer a good hockey fight between actual fighters, like it use to be, someone messed with the Star and tehn the fighters stood up for them.
Greatzky never got touched when he played .....
Theres a reason for that. :)

Jimbo

Last edited:
I oerfer a good hockey fight between actual fighters, like it use to be, someone messed with the Star and tehn the fighters stood up for them.

Jimbo

Now a days at least in Pittsburgh everyone is hitting Crosby and Malkin and very rarely does anyone go after them.

Then again usually if Mario got hit nothing happen either.

I think in basketball they should do the same as hockey, let them fight till someone goes down, as long as it doesn't filter into the fans.

Then again basketball players runaway after they throw one punch.:D

Now a days at least in Pittsburgh everyone is hitting Crosby and Malkin and very rarely does anyone go after them.

Then again usually if Mario got hit nothing happen either.

I think in basketball they should do the same as hockey, let them fight till someone goes down, as long as it doesn't filter into the fans.

Then again basketball players runaway after they throw one punch.:D

Pittsburgh needs to get some toughness inthe line up and that won't happen.

Something the Red Wings lack as well

jimbo

I perfer a good hockey fight between actual fighters, like it use to be, someone messed with the Star and tehn the fighters stood up for them.

Jimbo

The reason nobody touched The Great One was some unwritten rule. Super Mario and certainly YZERMAN gave as good as they got. Neither of those two were protected by the ref's as was Gretzky. Looking at Gretzky wrong was enough to get you Two minutes.