I'm considering Flex TV

you guys are acting like the 211 Receiver is one fantastic piece of equipment which it isn't. If you don't want a contract, go cable, unless there is something else you aren't telling us.
'

OK mr troll. :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with the 211? It's HD MPEG4 has an OTA tuner built in, can become a dvr with the addition of an external hard drive. Not everyone wants cable's craptastic service and not everyone wants or needs a Hopper/Joey. The 211's are a very nice entry level HD receiver. I have 3 of them, 2 are active along with a 722, so I am very familiar with how they work.

So give us your almighty wisdom on why the 211 isn't a good receiver and why we should shell out more money for cable's outdated hardware and less than stellar software. :cool:

If you do Flex TV, they do not require a SSN. Make up a fake name to setup the account so if you do decide to go under a promo or want to upgrade your equipment with a new contract you can be considered a new customer.

Wish I would of done this. it made sense when I originally went with the prepay, but now I can not be considered a new customer unless I let my prepay account lapse for a while.

OK mr troll. :rolleyes:

So give us your almighty wisdom on why the 211 isn't a good receiver and why we should shell out more money for cable's outdated hardware and less than stellar software. :cool:

It is my understanding that cable tv does not make you purchase equipment, or pay for installation, or require a contract.

It is my understanding that cable tv does not make you purchase equipment, or pay for installation, or require a contract.

A cable installation fee may or may not be imposed - here in NC, I recently had Charter Phone/Internet installed and I had to pay a $20 installation fee because my house had never been wired for cable.

Generally I would agree. And people fall for that all the time. Think about it, the cost for installation is not going to simply be free. They get that money and more in the monthly charges built into the package costs and/or DVR costs. Just one example. Charter charges $20 for DVR service up to four rooms. Most people do not have four rooms and Charter knows that. So for two rooms or one room you still pay $20 for DVR service. Last time I checked Charter was getting $17 per receiver on top of that, including the first receiver. That's just two of many examples. Then there's the generally inferior equipment to what DISH or DIRECT have and for where I am in Ct and Fl the worse PQ on Charter and Brighthouse. (Fios has very good PQ)
(It can be hard to compare because Charter in particular changes their "deals" all the time, shifting costs from here to there making some features less and others more all depending on when you sign up)

As for the 211K, rarely have I seen problems with it in threads here. It is a very good receiver if you are trying to save money.

All that being said, he still hasn't answered why he thinks the 211K is not a good piece of equipment. Classic misdirection.

I have flex tv and excellent credit. I bought my flex tv system online and installed myself. I called and activated it with a credit card. I have a credit card on file and use the dish interactive service app to make my payment. It works flawless.

I will not sign contracts with and tv or wireless phone providers.

The OP already said he's leaving the cable company so why would he stay with it. Doing a Flex account is exactly what he's looking for. If he wants the cheapest solution for two TVs then the 322 is the way to go. The 322 should only be $49. Don't forget that you can not get HD for free with a Flex account, you have to pay $10/month. You are able to get the movie packages free for 3 months.

I have flex tv and excellent credit. I bought my flex tv system online and installed myself. I called and activated it with a credit card. I have a credit card on file and use the dish interactive service app to make my payment. It works flawless.

I will not sign contracts with and tv or wireless phone providers.

I agree 100%, I hate signing contracts either.

The one thing I have learned over the years is that your actually better signing the contract and getting everything for free.

Unless you plan on only keeping the service a month, the money you save on the equipment and programming discounts outweigh any potential cancellation fee. Even if you do cancel lets say after a year, you can always try to get the contract waived

It isn't that 211 is bad, but the Hopper is great and free. I am not going to pay for old technology equipment.

I always return mine after two years and get the latest and greatest for free.

My guess is that 90 percent of people who get Flex TV have bad credit or unpaid bills.

So in theory a person could go buy the equipment they want from a retailer, pay to have them or a local installer install it then go and get a reload able credit card and use a fake name ect ect and still be able to be a "new customer" in their own name.

It isn't that 211 is bad, but the Hopper is great and free. I am not going to pay for old technology equipment.

I always return mine after two years and get the latest and greatest for free.

My guess is that 90 percent of people who get Flex TV have bad credit or unpaid bills.

That is true but when the OP said he wants to keep it cheap you usually don't recommend the most expensive equipment Dish offers.

There are also many people, like myself that have a winter home in the US and have excellent credit and pay our bills. Our problem is that we are Canadian citizens and therefore don't have a SSN, which is required to open a regular Dish Network account. Flex is the only option we have in order to get Dish service for the 6 months a year we are living in the US.

I admit I'm totally confused about what the cost of Flex TV currently is and what I can get for a TV package. I'm looking for an 2 room HD receiver, HD PVR capability would be good on at least one receiver. I'd also like the America Top 200 package with the HD channels that come with that. Is this all possible under the Flex TV plan and does anyone know what the initial and ongoing cost would be?

Also I've heard conflicting reports about HD coverage for local channels. Do Dish locals normally provide an HD signal? I'm in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)