I'm dding another HD receiver, but have questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
I'm adding another HD receiver, but have questions

Hi,

I am receiving a new HDTV for Christmas, and I have some questions. I hope someone can answer. Thank you for your time.

I currently have two receivers, one 722k and a 211. I want to add a receiver with DVR services, but I don't want to increase my bill too much.

I have heard that if I get a 211 or 211k I can add an external hard drive to it for $40. If I do get this receiver and add the DVR service to it, will I be charged the $5 a month to use the DVR service on this receiver?

The two receivers I mentioned earlier, I leased them earlier this year and extended my contract. When I add the third receiver, can I still get a good deal on it or will they charge me more?

Finally, I read here that there is a way to combine OTA signal on the cable that is run from the satellite. The installer will know how to do this, right? I've had some pretty stupid technicians out here (one said that to get 61.5 you had to point the dish due south.), but I'm hoping this is something that all of the techs know how to do.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the help. You guys here are great.

Last edited:
You only have 3 leased tuners from your post so you can only lease 1 more. DISH only allow 1 upgrade every 12 months so how long ago was your upgrade? A 211 does not get a monthly DVR fee when an external HD is added but you cannot share that HD with the 722 a 612 might be a better receiver for you.

You can use diplexars to bring in OTA but a separate cable is preferred for best signal.

Call DISH and see what your upgrade status is, it's a free call.

You only have 3 leased tuners from your post so you can only lease 1 more. DISH only allow 1 upgrade every 12 months so how long ago was your upgrade? A 211 does not get a monthly DVR fee when an external HD is added but you cannot share that HD with the 722 a 612 might be a better receiver for you.

You can use diplexars to bring in OTA but a separate cable is preferred for best signal.

Call DISH and see what your upgrade status is, it's a free call.
Exactly
211 External Hard drive is NOT compatible with ANY VIP HD DVRS.
HD DVR's require a seperate HD Hard drive and a seperate $40 Fee.

A Vip 612 will add $12 per month to your Bill, Unless you have Americas Eveything pack. Then its Only $7
A Vip 211 or 211k is still going to run you $7 per month reguardless of your package.

I cannot remember the exact date of when I upgraded, but it seems like I remember the NBA playoffs beginning. I know I watched the NFL draft in HD, and that was the last week of April, so I guess it was March or April that I did it.

Any chance they'll allow me to upgrade anyway? I've been a customer with them for over five years, and when I did upgrade to HD earlier this year, I knew I would probably have a third HDTV by the year's end. So I mentioned this to a call center rep and he told me if I asked for customer loyalty department or something like that they would probably be able to help me with the final upgrade. If not, I can wait until April. Regardless, I'll give them a call and see what they say.

As far as the whole get a VIP 612, I'm not too concerned about sharing the content with other receivers, so I will likely get the 211k.

A couple more questions I have if you guys don't mind answering... thanks.

By adding a EHD to a 211k, it will be a fully functioning DVR, right? I'll be able to rewind and pause live television along with record? Rewind and pause is more important to me than recording, so this is very important.

Any hard drive specifications I should look for? I see that the dish website says max. of 1 tb, but that is all it says really.

By adding a EHD to a 211k, it will be a fully functioning DVR, right? I'll be able to rewind and pause live television along with record? Rewind and pause is more important to me than recording, so this is very important.

No You can only record Live TV.
Once its recorded, Then you can Pause,rewind. Remeber a 211 isn't a DVR. They external hardrive is what only enables recording.

211 allows you the full functionality of a DVR, record/playback, pause/rewind/fastforward.

211 with EHD IS a fully functioning DVR.

Okay, so I got some conflicting information. Which way is it? Can I pause live TV or not?

Also, why is it preferred that the signal from the OTA be separate? Does it weaken the signal that badly? It is my only option for me because of how the house is built (at least for this receiver, anyway).

Last edited:
I really need an answer, guys. I have conflicting information. Does the 211k allow pausing live TV or not when you add an EHD?

Thank you.

I'll monitor this thread as well. I also would like to know for sure, if 211 become a full DVR after the EHD fee.
If it is, 211 will have another advantage over 622/722 - dish will not be able to ruin that hard drive by constantly uploading their On Demand crap, which they do now with an internal one. The internal HD spins all the time during the night.

I have both a ViP211 and a ViP211K hooked up to EHD's and both are able to pause, rewind and fast forward live TV (of course you cannot FFW when you are live).

They are almost functionally identical to my ViP722K, as a matter of fact, I had considered dropping my 622 for a couple of 211's until I got the 722K essentially for free.

They are almost functionally identical to my ViP722K, as a matter of fact, I had considered dropping my 622 for a couple of 211's until I got the 722K essentially for free.
What Are the differences?
211 only has 1 tuner, So I don't see how you can Record and watch Live TV at the same time.

What Are the differences?
211 only has 1 tuner, So I don't see how you can Record and watch Live TV at the same time.

You probably can't, but if you are used to having it in dual tv mode (so it can display two different channels from one receiver), it isn't a problem.

Thanks for the help everyone. I know what I got to lease now. Unfortunately it won't be until March that I can do it, but I'll deal with it.

211 has two HD tuners, one OTA and one for satellite.

Watch pre-recorded program while recording OTA and Satellite programs, or watch OTA while recording satellite, or watch satellite while recording OTA.

211 has two HD tuners, one OTA and one for satellite.

Watch pre-recorded program while recording OTA and Satellite programs, or watch OTA while recording satellite, or watch satellite while recording OTA.
OTA doesn't count. As many people can't get OTA even if they tried, myself included.
But list the features and benifits from the 211 vs the 722.
Can you puase live tv , come back in 1 hour and resume , without hitting the record button.
Can you rewind without recording?
I never tried, For the brief 2 months I had it, All that was ever done on it was record.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)