I'm getting dishNET installed.

csmith5111

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2010
I'm getting dishNET installed Tuesday am. It's going to utilize the Jupiter system. I've heard horror stories in regards to the install process.

Any techs out there want to give me some advice as to what you might like to see done before you arrive? I am going to be following him/her around watching the install. I want to see how it is done so I don't have to worry about anything in the future. And so I can help some people out.
Any info would be appreciated. I just went with the 5/10g service for starters. I already have Verizon DSL. Just using it as a back up and toy.

A secure mount is a must whether it's on a pole or mast, along with a clear line of sight. Good luck & report back with your results.

Keep us updated! We had Wildblue a while back when they first 'opened up' subscribers to their new satellite. At first, it was awesome. But after time, it had too much load with so many subscribers.. It ended up worthless between 5PM and 11PM (which is when we were home to use the internet)--the same speed as dial-up only WAY more expensive.

Our install went fine. The LNB fried after about a year because the O-ring degraded and water got inside. (found online where same thing happened with others so that seemed to be a 'genetic' defect).

It will be interesting to hear about your experience... both with install and with the service. If the speed and reliability is par with 3G, then we would consider getting too.. mainly since there's plans with >5GB/month limit.

Won't be on a pole. Only other advice I can say is like the other poster said this is new to us also, don't be a a$$ and be on this guys shoulder the whole time, some installers don't like that.

To be honest the thing that scares me is that dish does not required techs to be certified like WB. With that said its just Hughes net re-branded as dishNet.tell

Ask to see the meter if its not a AI tell them to hit the road.

Last edited:
I installed my first Dish.Net about a week ago. The install went well, and the service seemed very good after I was done. The install is much easier than exceed in my opinion. Like mentioned above, you just need a good solid mount and a good LOS and you should be good. As for the certification, I had to go through training much like the WB/Exceed training and take a test at the end. The only difference was that I didnt get a tech ID for DishNet like I did WB.

To be honest the thing that scares me is that dish does not required techs to be certified like WB. With that said its just Hughes net re-branded as dishNet.tell

Ask to see the meter if its not a AI tell them to hit the road.

Not sure what meter you are referring to. If it's the AI Turbo S2 from Applied Instruments, that unit is precisely useless on a Jupiter Install. There are only two methods of installing/peaking a Hughesnet Jupiter System, neither of which uses an AI Turbo S2. The installer should have a DAPT2 meter (orange in color - NOT the red one). Otherwise, he also can do an install with NO meter and a wireless router and a smart phone.

It would be cool if Dish Network / Directv came out with a smart phone app for the installers of the satellite tv service.

It would be cool if Dish Network / Directv came out with a smart phone app for the installers of the satellite tv service.

I'd certainly hope if the Dish techs are installing Hughesnet Jupiter systems, that they would be able to use the Hughesnet app. No app exists for Excede to my knowledge.

I got trained on that Jupiter. And I can tell you a solid mount location is very important. And only solid copper coax is allowed.

And to point out again. Its new, there is a learning curve.

Not sure what meter you are referring to. If it's the AI Turbo S2 from Applied Instruments, that unit is precisely useless on a Jupiter Install. There are only two methods of installing/peaking a Hughesnet Jupiter System, neither of which uses an AI Turbo S2. The installer should have a DAPT2 meter (orange in color - NOT the red one). Otherwise, he also can do an install with NO meter and a wireless router and a smart phone.

Lol I was just joking. I love to plug the "AI Turbo S2" plus I got my 1st dislike :) It was in the edit I was trying to be funny.

But it still scares me that someone can install a two-way system without any training.

Lol I was just joking. I love to plug the "AI Turbo S2" plus I got my 1st dislike :) It was in the edit I was trying to be funny.

But it still scares me that someone can install a two-way system without any training.

Gotcha. Most guys I know don't even know what an AI Turbo S2 is. When I tell them what meter I have, they usually say my meter won't do x, y, z, and that I need to get a Super Buddy 29... LOL :rolleyes:

Hey, Joshua I'm pretty sure I've dispatched for you before lol I cover Indianapolis, Terre Haute, Evansville, Merrillville and sometimes Southbend and Fort Wayne. Have you installed the Jupiter system yet? How is the installation process compared to SB2? I used to be a tech and switching from SB1 to SB2 was a huge improvement going from 2 lines to 1 and being able to peak without a meter.

Any techs out there want to give me some advice as to what you might like to see done before you arrive? I am going to be following him/her around watching the install.

One thing I would want above all else if for you NOT to do exactly that. There isnt much thats more annoying than the customer over your shoulder, kinda like the little mouse in your pocket telling you what to do saying. This system is brand new, dont make your tech nervous, make him a cup of coffee instead and let him do his thing.

To be slightly more helpful while I was being entirely honest. You said you have dsl, so your tech will probably need to run coax to the location where your modem/router will be located, pull the desk out and clean the surrounding area, move all your bills/loose papers/etc out of his way. Ask your questions after the tech has verified everything is working and tells you he is finished.

The systems are a lot easier to install than most dish & directv jobs. I've installed at least 25 gen4 systems up to this point. If someone wants to shoot the breeze while I'm working I welcome it. The only thing I ever ask is, if you're going to change your mind on something installation related, do it before any work is completed.

One thing I would want above all else if for you NOT to do exactly that. There isnt much thats more annoying than the customer over your shoulder, kinda like the little mouse in your pocket telling you what to do saying. This system is brand new, dont make your tech nervous, make him a cup of coffee instead and let him do his thing.

To be slightly more helpful while I was being entirely honest. You said you have dsl, so your tech will probably need to run coax to the location where your modem/router will be located, pull the desk out and clean the surrounding area, move all your bills/loose papers/etc out of his way. Ask your questions after the tech has verified everything is working and tells you he is finished.

Here here. Leave the guy alone, don't shadow him. If you are concerned about your home, then go ahead and hang around until he gets the mast up. That part should be a no brainer for him, but after that he'll be all thumbs with a new system. Just let him work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts