I'm glad I have dish.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
I spent a week with my brother who has charter cable.

We all know that the dish hopper menu looks like..

287876-dish-network-hopper-menu.jpg

Very modern looking, right?

Well here is the Charter menu, which seems to be standard across all devices.

sup_motoDvrMgr_4-12_clip_image028.ccom

The guide.
1313207120_tvguide.jpg

Eww. I thought when it came on the screen I was instantly transported into 1999. Reminds me of an old Direct receiver guide/menu.

Reactions: BlueLemon
Yeah, the Hopper menu looks way much better, something from the future!. The menu makes you think this box is state of the art, nice work from Dish. Feel sorry for people who can't get Dish and stuck with cable and it's outdated IPG.

Good grief! Even my 4900 looked better than that, and had an inset video panel so you could browse while still watching your program.

But the GUI in General is just that much better. I'm in my DVr menu a lot and I definitely prefer the hopper, over COX and DTV by far. I can't stand DTV GUI, otherwise I might have switched already.

I had TWC cable for 2 years. They made me an offer that I coudn't refuse. I rarely used it. The idea that you had to select the HD block of channels to get HD was ridiculous. It didn't automajically select the HD feed. And a dvr with only 1 tuner........
Need I say more. The day after my promo pricing expired, the cable box and dvr were back at the TWC office.

Well, their GUI may suck, but, at least in my area, they offer more HD channels than Dish currently does. Such as Fox Sports 2, American Heros Channel, FX Movie Channel, Sprout, Nick Jr, Fox Sports Detroit Full Time HD, BBC World News, Pivot, Willow TV, Daystar, Family Net, Smithsonian and I'm sure I have missed some. Plus, their box outputs in 1080p/60... My friend has it, of course their DVR only records two streams at a time, but using Switched Digital Video the picture quality was impressive on his set. But, yea, I make fun of the guide data when he switches channels, but since all I have now is OTA, I cannot really get on him too much.

While Dish may be better then Charter in regards to UI; I have to say after spending two weeks at my uncles house for Christmas vacation last year, I am so glad I have DIRECTV. I found the dish guide insane. The graphics looked like they were out of 2002. And since I'm being nit-picky... i found the Dish remote stiff and unresponsive. I made all these judgements based on my experience with DIRECTV. While I'm probably paying more, I will gladly pay it when I have top notch equipment, High quality UI's and a huge selection of channels. The only downside I can think of with DIRECTV has only recently developed and that's the ATT/DIRECTV buyout. That whole thing has me nervous as hell. Well just wanted to add my 2 cents. I'll go back to my side of the playground now. :oldsmile2

PS. After that visit, I was able to talk my uncle into switching and he's extremely happy with DTV.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I totally HATED the Directv remote control and the hd receiver I had for a short time ,while I kept DISH too. But I have had DISH for 18 years, so I am really used to their remote controls and receivers -faults and all. I would never go back to Directv.

Reactions: Spike and BlueLemon
I totally HATED the Directv remote control and the hd receiver I had for a short time ,while I kept DISH too. But I have had DISH for 18 years, so I am really used to their remote controls and receivers -faults and all. I would never go back to Directv.

Wow! 18yrs. That's quite a long time. Have you tried the new Directv remote (RC71)? While I loved the old one (RC66), The new one is even better.

Dish existed before that they where part of Echostar, which is now the equipment/infrastructure provider.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_Network

"On December 28, 1995, EchoStar successfully launched its first satellite, EchoStar I. With this and the completion of the construction of the satellite uplink center in Cheyenne, Wyoming, The Dish Network brand name was born to represent the home satellite TV service. In March 1996, the company made its first broadcast to customers."

I remember the time very well. I had one of the very first receivers that Charlie sold after he came back from China after the first satellite launch. We've been dealers for EchoStar since 1985 and Dish since the beginning. I'm guessing you were littlejohnok back then. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dish_Network

"On December 28, 1995, EchoStar successfully launched its first satellite, EchoStar I. With this and the completion of the construction of the satellite uplink center in Cheyenne, Wyoming, The Dish Network brand name was born to represent the home satellite TV service. In March 1996, the company made its first broadcast to customers."

I remember the time very well. I had one of the very first receivers that Charlie sold after he came back from China after the first satellite launch. We've been dealers for EchoStar since 1985 and Dish since the beginning. I'm guessing you were littlejohnok back then. :)
I was with direct in the late 90's and early 2000's because I didnt like the look of early dish receivers. I know it seems petty but it is what it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)