I'm making the move from a VIP 211 to a DVR

Bob Caruthers

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Hi all,

I have two VIP 211's. One each connected to separate HDTVs.
One 211 is connected directly via HDMi to a smaller HDTV in the kitchen.
I want to replace the 211 connected to my second (and bigger) HDTV with a DVR receiver (after all, it IS 2010).
I'm thinking Solo DVR VIP 612.
Does this sound like the receiver I should choose?
I can't use a Duo DVR because there is no way to connect physically the receiver to both TVs.
I don't think I'm quite ready for the Slingloaded 922.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
why not add EHDs to both 211s, therees only a one time fee, EHDs can move freely between boxes and I believe no 6 buck a month DVR fee.

for you this is a perfect win win configuration:)

AND, the 612's are not one of Dish's better boxes. There would be a one time $40.00 EHD enabling fee for any and all 211s.

AND, the 612's are not one of Dish's better boxes. There would be a one time $40.00 EHD enabling fee for any and all 211s.

Ouch! Not one of Dish's better boxes...

What about the 722 even though I will use it on one tv only?

well 722 or 622 give you PIP on a single tv. Or record one channel watch another.

But then as others have said you pay the dvr fee.

I believe yes with the ehd attached to the 211, it gives you pause too - but dont have a ehd attached to mine so cant say for certain..

Thanks to all who have responded so far.

To be clearer: I was unaware of the EHD option, but what I'm looking for, I guess, is a Solo version of the 722 because I want to be able to stop and rewind and pause and all of that while watching a program as it airs.

The closest thing I could find was the 612, but if that is not a very good receiver, I suppose an alternative would be the 722 even though it would be connected to only one television set.

Other than the reasons stated above, I've had several 211s and have had them replaced one then another over the years and I want to move up to a better and hopefully more reliable receiver with more features.

All advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Bob

I am looking for a receiver that I can pause, etc. and record one program while watching another. Can this be accomplished with an EHD?

Bob

I'm about to replace my 625's with 211k's + EHD. According to the DVR Conversion User Guide (PDF warning) it can be used to pause live TV just like a real DVR. It only has one satellite tuner but has an OTA turner, so you could record one show OTA while watching a show on satellite. If you want to record 2 different satellite channels you're pretty much out of luck, but since most stations repeat their programing during the night, you can probably record the missed show then.

The best part is that the 211k costs $7/mo and a DVR costs $17/mo + $6/mo DVR fee.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who have responded so far.

To be clearer: I was unaware of the EHD option, but what I'm looking for, I guess, is a Solo version of the 722 because I want to be able to stop and rewind and pause and all of that while watching a program as it airs.

The closest thing I could find was the 612, but if that is not a very good receiver, I suppose an alternative would be the 722 even though it would be connected to only one television set.

Other than the reasons stated above, I've had several 211s and have had them replaced one then another over the years and I want to move up to a better and hopefully more reliable receiver with more features.

All advice is welcomed and appreciated.
Bob
with EHD the 211 becomes a better receiver with better features

I can highly recommend the EHD for the 211 unit,$70 at Wallmart for the USB drive and one time charge to dish $40. No second sat tuner but an off air antenna delivers the same options.(example record NCIS in HD off antenna and also record HBO HD at the same time from sat feed). No on demand or remote scheduling but everything else works perfect.:)

Last edited:
what I'm looking for, I guess, is a Solo version of the 722 because I want to be able to stop and rewind and pause and all of that while watching a program as it airs.

There is a button on the front of the VIP722 that puts it into single mode. At that point TV2 is just an RF modulated SD duplicate of whatever is showing on TV1. There is no need to connect TV2 if you don't want to, but you could run some RG6 to another room and connect an old SD TV to it should you wish.

The advantage is the 722 is a dual tuner DVR so you can record two different shows in HD at once, or record one show while viewing another.

monthly fee is fee to have box active on account, no dvr fee after you pay the one time fee.

the 722 has over a week guide the 211 is shorter.

why not pay the 40 bucks buy a EHD and try it out?

The 722 gets you into the monthly DVR fee PER ACCOUNT

bzzzzz wrong there is no monthly fee (I have 2) 1 $40 fee for the account

bzzzzzz. Talking about receiver fees not EHD. Pay attention...in other words, read the thread!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks to all.
EHD it is!
I had no idea this option even existed.
I just need to order a hard drive.
Is the Seagate one Dish recommends good or are there others I should give a look?

Thanks again for solving my problem.
Bob