I'm making the move from a VIP 211 to a DVR

digiblur,

Unfortunately, I am not smart enough to comprehend the answer you referred to.
That is why I asked those two direct questions.
Do you have yes or no answers to the questions I asked?

tia,
Bob

Like I said, I'm not very smart.

I have trouble thinking linearly; so I find I have to ask simple questions that apply directly to what I'm trying to figure out.

As you can see by the questions I posed, I already knew intuitively the answers were no.

since you have two 211ks, you could put an EHD on both and record two sat feeds at a time, the hard drives can be moved between the two and the one time fee is for all 211s on the account. Just get the same kind of drive for both so you only have to move it and not the cords.

The external hard drive works great on the 211, however I don't have an OTA antenna and there have been countless times when I wanted to record one show while watching another and could not. As someone mentioned earlier you can sometimes catch a show you missed at a later time but that is not always the case.

Because of this reason I am going to upgrade to the 722 for the extra features it has.

its probably more cost effective to get two 211s, and add a ota antenna.

since the 722 will get you the dvr fee.

plus the main feature you will get is the extended guide

The external hard drive works great on the 211, however I don't have an OTA antenna and there have been countless times when I wanted to record one show while watching another and could not. As someone mentioned earlier you can sometimes catch a show you missed at a later time but that is not always the case.

Because of this reason I am going to upgrade to the 722 for the extra features it has.

Excellent post! and answer.:)

Here is a great inexpensive small indoor or outdoor HDTV antenna rated 4.5 out of 5 with 347 comments:

For only $19.94 each when QTY 50+ purchased - HDTV Indoor / Outdoor Antenna | Outdoor HD Antennas

IIRC, there was a thread here wherein someone stated that there were two series of motherboards used in the ViP222 series. The earlier one would never support an EHD. Therefore, we may expect the ViP222 to never have EHD support activated. I have no idea of the accuracy of that post.

You know whats funny, Over the Air antennas can cost up to 90$ here, so what i did was drive down to Tijuana, Mexico one weekend and find one of those over there. And WALLA! i got a good over the air antenna for just 25$. I set it up, and it looks awesome too. I can even press a button on the box down in the living room to make it spin for extra coverage!! haha
Mexicans do come in handy sometimes!

Quick question: does the 750gb limit still apply, or can you add a 1tb drive now and get full use out of it?

IIRC, there was a thread here wherein someone stated that there were two series of motherboards used in the ViP222 series. The earlier one would never support an EHD. Therefore, we may expect the ViP222 to never have EHD support activated. I have no idea of the accuracy of that post.

:mad: I guess that means I won't see DVR functions available on my Vip222. Darn!!:sob:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts